Start menu
or any other program

I am also have difficulty updating to SP 2

I am running Windows XP pro

My computer is stalling and jamming all of a sudden....nothing works

Please help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Major issues with my PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Major issues with my PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Major issues with my PC

In reply to: Major issues with my PC

Hi,

I believe you might probably be overwelmed by spyware and/or viruses. You should first try to lighten your PC a little bit, go to Start->Run and type msconfig. Then go to the Startup part and uncheck everything that looks like not useful (you can always enable them again). Then restart, now it should be a little less stalling... Next step is to run some good antivirus and anti spyware apps.
If you have already done all this and it doesn't seem to help, then you might need to give us more info on the changes you made to your PC before it started jamming...

luxx.

Collapse -

You can always try using 'system restore' to return your PC to a state when it worked. Go to All Programs>Accesories>System Tools>System Restore. If it works then make sure to install some anti-spyware programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and run them frequently. I would also use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. IE opens your system up to all kinds of nasties. If you absolutely must use IE then install Spyware Blaster as well and keep it updated. This program will stop the spyware before it gets on your system. Good luck.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Major issues with my PC

I did what you asked me with the system restore. It doesn't appear to have helped.

I received 2 error messages:

1) "Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file."

2) "The exception unknown software exception (0x00000017) occurred in the application of location 0x77f95c64. CLick ok to terminate the program."

Also....it says my internet is disconnect (which it shouldn't be)....It says network cable is unplugged...it shows many attempts of try to connect in the bottom right corner

Thanks for your advice...please help me...

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Major issues with my PC

System Restore seemed to work....

But...for SP 2 Update, I get the error message, "Product Key Used to install MS Windows may not be valid"

When I go to validate at microsoft website it asks to allow Active X controls...I make the changes, and it still doesn't work....still says it's needs to accept activeX controls

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

Collapse -

Are you able to open the programs in Safe Mode, or at least boot into Safe mode ?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.