I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal, and I appreciate you posting your findings here. I will send it to our technicians and our marketing people alike, as well as keep my eyes open for other instances of this.
My guess is that you may have received a damaged unit. Naturally I can't say that conclusively, but the screeching is not an issue I have seen online, and I'm trying to figure out what is causing it based on your detailed reporting. I'm coming up short of an answer.
I would have tried the firmware; however, at this point, it seems like it may be your last day to return the unit altogether. I'd hate to think that the firmware would fix the issue temporarily until your return policy expired, because then you will require a service call, you already don't like the fact that it's 3 weeks old needing one, and you'll think poorly of our products and have a bad experience. That's not the experience we want our customers to have with our products.
I'd rather you be a happy customer, and I appreciate the time and research you put into this. I wish I had a silver bullet to offer you in this situation; the fact is that this symptom is new to me, so I don't have a reference point to know what the cause or fix would be.
I do know that our service center is diligently researching any issues that may exist with FIOS.
If I can help further, please let me know.
Where do I start? I am so frustrated with my new Samsung - so I will start with "when" it was working the picture was absolutely amazing. Now to the unpleasantries...
I purchased my LN46A650 3 weeks ago - I have recently moved into a new building which offers Verizon Fios. I week after moving Fios technician arrived and hooked up my stb and package. Here is my exact set-up - the TV is on my media console and connected via HDMI to the Verizon dvr stb. On top of the console next to my TV sits the Verizon wireless router for internet and next to the router is my XBox Live. The XBox is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the wireless router via Kat6 cable. That's my entire set-up currently - clean and no muss.
For the first week the TV picture was just out of this world amazing. Then roughly on the 8th day I started to have issues and the issues started to compound on after the other (almost building up) each day over the next 4 days. Here is what happened -
- on the 8th day using the Verizon remote (as normal) I clicked on the TV/STB. The picture came up fine but all of a sudden the TV sound emitted a loud screeching noise similar to that of a bad radio frequency - very loud and pressing down the volume on the remote barely squelching the noise. I immediately turned off the components from the remote, waiting a few seconds and turned back on from the remote. After doing this the sound was back to normal.
- this occured again later in the day after having the TV off for a few hours and then another problem occurred. After turning the components off and back on the sound was fine for about a minute, then I hear a pop noise and the sound went off completely.
- the next day, this problem (an my remedy) persisted. Only now if the sound dropped off while viewing instead of dropping to silence it would screech as with the issue above. This persistent back and forth throughout the day. It appeared that when watching the TV for a few minutes after going through the turning off and back on remedy (sometime up to 3 or 4 times in a row before normal sound returned) then the tv was fine for the duration while I watched.
- on the next day (11th day after purchasing TV) a new problem was introduced. Same screeching noise and I followed the same remedy as above but now, I started to lose picture. The screen would just turn green for a split second and return back to normal. This not only persisted throughout the day but started to happen with more frequency.
- The following day, a new problem started to occur. All the above but now the green screen was happening with much more frequency - almost every few seconds at this point. Then after flickering between green and a normal screen a few times in a row, the TV would turn off quickly and back on immediately (as if it was resetting itself). Not only did this get worse but now at this point is was impossible to watch the TV.
What did I do? So the very first time the screeching noise happened I contacted Samsung support - the moment I told the rep I was connected to FIOS she told me there is a known issue with Fios and Samsung and the TV was fine. The issue is with HDMI compatibility with the FIOS stb. Verizon, she continued to explain, is expected to issue a firmware to resolve this issue. She was so convincing that I accepted this response.
The following day I contacted Verizon, who told me that they are aware of some capatibility issues with certain TVs from time to time, the issue is with Samsung and not Fios. They sent a technician out to see me.
What the Verizon Tech did - he told me it may be an HDMI compatibility issue and to be sure he removed the HDMI connection and connected component cables instead. The moment he turned on the TV, the screeching noise happened! He made some adjustments to the sound - turning sound to stereo, dynamic range to low and one other adjustment I think. He then turned the TV off and back on - sound was fine. And for the rest of the evening (about 4 hours) the sound and picture was fine. No recurring issues.
BUT WAIT! The following morning when I turned on on the TV and STB, the screeching noise was back and even worse than before. Plus, where as I was able to remedy this by turning the components off and back on once or twice, this time it took 4 or 5 times. I am on the 5th day of these issues and at the moment the only thing that seems to be resolved (by the component connections) is the picture has been fine for the past day since his visit - no green screen, no resetting.
Now before I (or anyone else for that matter) goes pointing the finger at FIOS - which admittedly I was ready to do. On 2 occasions through this 5 day ordeal, I turned on only my XBox and 650 to watch a movie, I DID NOT TURN ON the Fios stb, and on one occasion I got the sound drop and on the second occasion I got the screeching noise (keep in mind, the XBox was still connected by HDMI).
So what do I do? I contacted Samsung again and they have scheduled an apointment for a 3rd party tech to come and look at the TV. Speaking on the phone, the tech thinks that he needs to replace the main board and the power supply in the TV. This bothers me because the TV is only 3 weeks old.
I also contact Verizon again and their tech came back, tried a few tricks and also replaced the switchers and a few cables. I appreciated the effort but it had no positive change.
Last thing I will add - I have reviewed a number of postings (here and other forums) which shared resetting issues with the 650 and a firmware release. But I have not seen any posting with the screeching sound issue too. Also, at no time during my 3 calls to Samsung support did anyone suggest that the firmware might alleviate some or all of my issues - so I have not tried any firmware upgrade.
I have 4 days left on my 30 day return policy - which at this point I plan to do. But my plan is to return, not exchange this TV - in view of other postings re 650 issues, my concern is that I will just get another 650 with issues.
So one last ditch effort here - can anyone offer any insight or advice?
This is a long posting and I appreciate your patience reading it - believe me it much sorter than the 5 day ordeal, tech calls and trips to the store that I have endured. Thanks so much for any assistance!