Samsung forum

General discussion

Major issues with my new LN46A650 - Please advise!!!

by lavaboui / January 27, 2009 10:28 AM PST

Where do I start? I am so frustrated with my new Samsung - so I will start with "when" it was working the picture was absolutely amazing. Now to the unpleasantries...

I purchased my LN46A650 3 weeks ago - I have recently moved into a new building which offers Verizon Fios. I week after moving Fios technician arrived and hooked up my stb and package. Here is my exact set-up - the TV is on my media console and connected via HDMI to the Verizon dvr stb. On top of the console next to my TV sits the Verizon wireless router for internet and next to the router is my XBox Live. The XBox is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the wireless router via Kat6 cable. That's my entire set-up currently - clean and no muss.

For the first week the TV picture was just out of this world amazing. Then roughly on the 8th day I started to have issues and the issues started to compound on after the other (almost building up) each day over the next 4 days. Here is what happened -

- on the 8th day using the Verizon remote (as normal) I clicked on the TV/STB. The picture came up fine but all of a sudden the TV sound emitted a loud screeching noise similar to that of a bad radio frequency - very loud and pressing down the volume on the remote barely squelching the noise. I immediately turned off the components from the remote, waiting a few seconds and turned back on from the remote. After doing this the sound was back to normal.
- this occured again later in the day after having the TV off for a few hours and then another problem occurred. After turning the components off and back on the sound was fine for about a minute, then I hear a pop noise and the sound went off completely.
- the next day, this problem (an my remedy) persisted. Only now if the sound dropped off while viewing instead of dropping to silence it would screech as with the issue above. This persistent back and forth throughout the day. It appeared that when watching the TV for a few minutes after going through the turning off and back on remedy (sometime up to 3 or 4 times in a row before normal sound returned) then the tv was fine for the duration while I watched.
- on the next day (11th day after purchasing TV) a new problem was introduced. Same screeching noise and I followed the same remedy as above but now, I started to lose picture. The screen would just turn green for a split second and return back to normal. This not only persisted throughout the day but started to happen with more frequency.
- The following day, a new problem started to occur. All the above but now the green screen was happening with much more frequency - almost every few seconds at this point. Then after flickering between green and a normal screen a few times in a row, the TV would turn off quickly and back on immediately (as if it was resetting itself). Not only did this get worse but now at this point is was impossible to watch the TV.

What did I do? So the very first time the screeching noise happened I contacted Samsung support - the moment I told the rep I was connected to FIOS she told me there is a known issue with Fios and Samsung and the TV was fine. The issue is with HDMI compatibility with the FIOS stb. Verizon, she continued to explain, is expected to issue a firmware to resolve this issue. She was so convincing that I accepted this response.

The following day I contacted Verizon, who told me that they are aware of some capatibility issues with certain TVs from time to time, the issue is with Samsung and not Fios. They sent a technician out to see me.

What the Verizon Tech did - he told me it may be an HDMI compatibility issue and to be sure he removed the HDMI connection and connected component cables instead. The moment he turned on the TV, the screeching noise happened! He made some adjustments to the sound - turning sound to stereo, dynamic range to low and one other adjustment I think. He then turned the TV off and back on - sound was fine. And for the rest of the evening (about 4 hours) the sound and picture was fine. No recurring issues.

BUT WAIT! The following morning when I turned on on the TV and STB, the screeching noise was back and even worse than before. Plus, where as I was able to remedy this by turning the components off and back on once or twice, this time it took 4 or 5 times. I am on the 5th day of these issues and at the moment the only thing that seems to be resolved (by the component connections) is the picture has been fine for the past day since his visit - no green screen, no resetting.

Now before I (or anyone else for that matter) goes pointing the finger at FIOS - which admittedly I was ready to do. On 2 occasions through this 5 day ordeal, I turned on only my XBox and 650 to watch a movie, I DID NOT TURN ON the Fios stb, and on one occasion I got the sound drop and on the second occasion I got the screeching noise (keep in mind, the XBox was still connected by HDMI).

So what do I do? I contacted Samsung again and they have scheduled an apointment for a 3rd party tech to come and look at the TV. Speaking on the phone, the tech thinks that he needs to replace the main board and the power supply in the TV. This bothers me because the TV is only 3 weeks old.

I also contact Verizon again and their tech came back, tried a few tricks and also replaced the switchers and a few cables. I appreciated the effort but it had no positive change.

Last thing I will add - I have reviewed a number of postings (here and other forums) which shared resetting issues with the 650 and a firmware release. But I have not seen any posting with the screeching sound issue too. Also, at no time during my 3 calls to Samsung support did anyone suggest that the firmware might alleviate some or all of my issues - so I have not tried any firmware upgrade.

I have 4 days left on my 30 day return policy - which at this point I plan to do. But my plan is to return, not exchange this TV - in view of other postings re 650 issues, my concern is that I will just get another 650 with issues.

So one last ditch effort here - can anyone offer any insight or advice?

This is a long posting and I appreciate your patience reading it - believe me it much sorter than the 5 day ordeal, tech calls and trips to the store that I have endured. Thanks so much for any assistance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Major issues with my new LN46A650 - Please advise!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Major issues with my new LN46A650 - Please advise!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 11:20 AM PST

lavabuoi,

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal, and I appreciate you posting your findings here. I will send it to our technicians and our marketing people alike, as well as keep my eyes open for other instances of this.

My guess is that you may have received a damaged unit. Naturally I can't say that conclusively, but the screeching is not an issue I have seen online, and I'm trying to figure out what is causing it based on your detailed reporting. I'm coming up short of an answer.

I would have tried the firmware; however, at this point, it seems like it may be your last day to return the unit altogether. I'd hate to think that the firmware would fix the issue temporarily until your return policy expired, because then you will require a service call, you already don't like the fact that it's 3 weeks old needing one, and you'll think poorly of our products and have a bad experience. That's not the experience we want our customers to have with our products.

I'd rather you be a happy customer, and I appreciate the time and research you put into this. I wish I had a silver bullet to offer you in this situation; the fact is that this symptom is new to me, so I don't have a reference point to know what the cause or fix would be.

I do know that our service center is diligently researching any issues that may exist with FIOS.

If I can help further, please let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung: Major issues with my new LN46A650 - Please advise!!
by lavaboui / February 4, 2009 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware

HDTech -

I appreciate the response - I did return the TV. Before the refund was given, the technical "squad" had to look over the TV. He connected my tv to their digital cable box and he turned the unit on. Immediately the screeching problem happened - so it was not FIOS, it was not Digital Cable, the unit was most definitely defective as you have suggested.

I am very disappointed no doubt - I have had to return 2 Samsung products in the past month. The other was the BP1500 Blu-Ray. I have a service order open - ironically, this unit had NO sound. So instead of servicing a brand new unit, I returned that as well a few weeks ago.

Most frustrating of all is that, at the moment, this store and the other major electronic stores in the area have no LCD HD TV's in stock and NO Blu-Rays! I have been told that the soonest the TV's will be available is February 26! Unbelievable!

Overall I believe Samsung makes great TV's - but with the current retail climate, and this experiece, I will certainly expand my search to other brands.

HDTech, I do appreciate your response and input. Thanks so much.

Collapse -
Dents...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 5, 2009 11:52 AM PST

lavaboui,

Thanks for stopping back and keeping me posted.

It's hard to defend some of the experiences you've been through. Overall, I agree, we do make some great televisions - and I'm sure it's hard to overcome some of the dents you've experienced recently.

That said, I'm glad that you have the ability to purchase something that may better suit your needs.

I hope, at some point in the future, as the transitions turn into standards and all the changes in the industry turn into consistencies, perhaps you'll give us an opportunity to "wow" you in the future.

Best,

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same problem with my LN52B750, same noise
by JoelKKlein / November 5, 2009 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: Dents...

I think is not only this customer, I am having the same problem. I already requested the 3rd party service from Samsung under my warranty, and despite the fact that I do not have big issues with the tv, since the noise happens just when I turn on the TV after a long period of inactivity and there are no problems with anything else, I just bought the TV 1 month ago and this problem is unacceptable.

It is my first Samsung TV and I was expecting a better experience with it, if something is major is wrong, I will never recommend a Samsung TV to anyone.

Collapse -
Same issues
by MrT26 / November 5, 2009 1:27 PM PST

I am having the exact same issues as lavaboui. We have an apointment with the Geek Squad on Monday to have a look at the TV. We have had it for just under a year so hopefully it's all covered. The only difference I have is that the TV turns on and off by itself!

Anyone have any new info on what the problem is?

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.