PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Major Hardware Issues PLEASE HELP

by Panthermax / April 8, 2006 2:37 AM PDT

The following is an email that i sent to the computer technician where i bought my pc originally:
I purchased a barebone pc from 3Btech in August of 2004. I am probably not under warranty still but have been having so many issues lately. At the end of summer 2005 my power supply that i got from you had died, i ended up buying the following one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163017 and i changed my ram because that had died too, i purchased http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227221 so then everything was running very well. I bought the ram because my pc was constantly restarting for no reason with out the blue screen of death, so i had no clue wat to do aside for buy new ram. It solved my issue last time. But now about a month ago i transported my pc from my dorm back home, and to my knowledge there was no damage nor was it smashed against anything. Since i got home, it was constantly restarting. I reformatted and still nothing. Finally on one bootup it said my hard drive was corrupted. so i went out and bought a brand new Maxtor 200gb, the fast version i forgot the name at the moment. so once i got that i reformatted reinstalled all my drivers and files and games and 18hours later, it crashed i couldnt even get passed the boot screen. i went on many different forums trying to find solutions, someone suggested cleaning the cpu fan and the cpu, well when i was putting back the cpu i broke 2 pins. So then i bought a new Pentium 4 478 socket 3.2ghz (i hope you arent bored yet because the list keeps going). Now that i got that someone also reccomended buying a new cpu fan so i got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223 and a new power supply http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817103937 so basically aside for the motherboard and the ram i built a new computer. So aside for all that, once i put everything i tried to install windows yet setup would keep restarting right towards the end (this is windows xp pro service pack 2) then i tried windows vista, the newest build i have a freind that gets all this software, so i was trying it out. So vista managed to install properly but it was terribly slow and at one point it too restarted but in Vista they have this new message that pops up when your computer restarts from a hardware issue, so i looked at that and it listed all hardware as possibilities so i didnt even pay attention to it, later i tried to install XP since vista was able to work. yet once again Setup would restart at like 14 minutes left or it would freeze. So i tried a different copy of XP pro yet the same thing happened. This brings us to today. I had no other thoughts aside for perhaps a compatability issue with teh new hardware and my motherboard. I purchased the http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=P4VTB from you. So i went to the download page and downloaded the VTB1105.BS when i put that on a floppy and put it into the pc, went into the bios and clicked update. it acted normally and searched for the floppy then said. Flashing in progress and bam black screen, and frozen. I hit the reset button and nothing happened when i boot it, absolutely nothing happens. Now is when i need your help. WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO FROM HERE? Please if you can tell me. can i return my mobo to u, do i need a new one? Oh ya i forgot to mention i took out the lithium battery from the motherboard for a couple of seconds and i switched the pin from + to - and back to +. So here are my PC specs and hopefully you can help me

Biostar p4VTB

P4 3.2ghz

Dvd r+/-w

dvd

200gb hdd

ati radeo 9600 128mb

1gb OCZ ram

i think thats all you need, hope to hear back from you soon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Major Hardware Issues PLEASE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Major Hardware Issues PLEASE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly, if the board dos not have a failed BIOS recovery...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 2:53 AM PDT

Then you replace the motherboard. It's not that the BIOS can't be fixed but that the cost of shipping or the BIOS chip can cost more than a new board.

Bob

Collapse -
Your options
by VAPCMD / April 8, 2006 1:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
It could be the POWMAX PSU...
by nathanpsz2 / April 8, 2006 4:22 PM PDT

...The PSU is powering your whole system; if it goes, the system goes, too. That's why I'd never touch a no-name brand PSU. Stick with name brands like Antec, Cooler Master, OCZ, Enermax, Seasonic, and Thermaltake.

Collapse -
nope thats not the issue
by Panthermax / April 9, 2006 1:49 AM PDT

i said in the message that i changed the psu about a month ago to the antec 2.0 i supplied a link so thats not the issue

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?