Computer Help forum

General discussion

Major FTP issues

Okay I'm extremely frustrated with this situation. I've called my ISP, computer manufacturer and hosting provider and so far I haven't been able to come up with an answer. I'm having an issue with FTP and I'm using FileZilla. No matter what client I use I can not connect to the server. I've made sure in IE I'm using passive FTP, and I've also made sure that my firewall allows the port through. I'm using a Dell XPS 210 and my ISP is Verizon.

P.S. I also posted this in the Vista section but figured it would be more resourceful to post it here.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Major FTP issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Major FTP issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
But ftp is two ports.

In reply to: Major FTP issues

Your post sounds as if you only opened one port.

"I've also made sure that my firewall allows the port through."

Now open both FTP ports.

Collapse -
two eh?

In reply to: But ftp is two ports.

To be honest with you I'm extremely new at this. Could you please explain?

Collapse -
How to figure this out.

In reply to: two eh?

Type FTP PORTS on google.com to find out the 2 port numbers.

Collapse -
Okie doke

In reply to: How to figure this out.

I added both ports 20 and 21...still I can not connect with the clients. I'm just so exhausted and frustrated with the situation because I've tried so much and have researched so much but my efforts aren't getting me to where I need to be.

Collapse -
Now for something completely different.

In reply to: Okie doke

What we also find firewalls in are the routers and our ISPs. You didn't mention a router so I have to assume (badly) there is none and the ftp server has a real internet IP.

But for something else I strongly suggest you go install the OpenSSH server since it has but one port number that you can assign. This neatly steps around the fact that many ISPs disallow and block FTP inbound ports.
Bob

Collapse -
Dumb it down? lol

In reply to: Now for something completely different.

You are correct in assuming that there isn't a router, it's hooked up straight to the internet. After reading the information from the OpenSSH website I'm still confused as to what the function is. Could you dumb it down?

Collapse -
It's a Secure SHell...

In reply to: Dumb it down? lol

With Secure FTP and more. I suggest it since you can pick a port number (stay under a few thousand please) and not incur ISP wrath.

Collapse -
Sorry lets straighten out ONE thing.

Is this YOUR SERVER on YOUR VISTA MACHINE? I took your post as if it was.

Collapse -
No!

In reply to: Sorry lets straighten out ONE thing.

Ugh no I don't believe it is...let me explain my situation further.
It is necessary to use FTP clients to connect to the server, I'm currently using FileZilla.

Collapse -
Then what makes us think...

In reply to: No!

The problem is on your end?

Collapse -
Because...

In reply to: Then what makes us think...

Sorry not to mention this before...but I have called godaddy, my internet service provider as well as my computer manufacturer. Godaddy said it was on my end because their server was functioning fine. When I called Verizon...at first they said that they didn't block any FTP capibility...however after I called Dell they sent me back to Verizon and they said the only way they can fix this is if they tack on another 15 bucks on my bill for a required 10 months which is utter BS.

In response to the other poster the error message that Filezilla gives me is:

Error: Could not connect to server

Then it just does not connect anymore through the retries. It is also important I suppose to mention that when I try to use it through IE...the opportunity doesn't even come up for me. I've been through a lot of shiznit with this hopefully we can figure this out Happy

Collapse -
It's either a firewall (yours or theirs)

In reply to: Because...

But here's my attempt via the command line ftp.

ftp> open 72.167.131.171
Connected to 72.167.131.171.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (72.167.131.171:(none)): anonymous
331 Password required for anonymous.
Password:
530 User anonymous cannot log in.
Login failed.
ftp>

So I can connect just fine but I don't know the accounts so I didn't login. Let's try the old winsock reset.

What is noted at this link -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
Bob

Collapse -
Everything checks out fine

In reply to: It's either a firewall (yours or theirs)

I've entered the same information millions of times and have triple checked their accuracy...and I still get the same response that I simply: can't connect to server. So it's just something on my end that I just can't seem to find or fix Sad

Collapse -
Vista...

In reply to: It's either a firewall (yours or theirs)

I'm running Vista will that still work?

Collapse -
Here's the winsock reset for Vista.

In reply to: Vista...

Collapse -
Still not working :(

In reply to: Here's the winsock reset for Vista.

I followed the appropriate steps in doing so and still I can't connect Sad

Collapse -
Then try from...

In reply to: Still not working :(

Some wifi hotspot and from a friend, neighbors or computer at a library. While I could connect here I am not sure if it's your location, ISP or machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Since you are using Filezilla ...

In reply to: Because...

when you open the client you should note at the top a place for an address.

The following information regarding FTP was sent to you in an email when you registered the domain and paid for hosting it with GoDaddy - check the info in that email.

Where it says Address: enter either 72.167.131.171 or ftp.deadmans-domain.com (assuming that is actually the name of your domain)

Where it says User: enter the username GoDaddy gave you (letter case is IMPORTANT as ThisUser is not the same as THISUSER or thisuser or thisUser)

Where it says Password: enter the password GoDaddy provided you (again letter case is important)

Where it says Port: enter 21

Now click on Quickconnect and IF you entered everything correctly you should get logged in. Here is what I get since I don't know and made up a username and password:

Status: Connected with ftp.deadmans-domain.com. Waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Microsoft FTP Service
Command: USER george
Response: 331 Password required for george.
Command: PASS ***
Response: 530 User george cannot log in.
Error: Unable to connect!

Status: Connected with 72.167.131.171. Waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Microsoft FTP Service
Command: USER deadman
Response: 331 Password required for deadman.
Command: PASS ******
Response: 530 User deadman cannot log in.
Error: Unable to connect!

Collapse -
What Exactly Are The Symptoms?

Is your FTP server giving you any response when you try to connect with it, such as a password error or access denied to a directory?

If you are sure you have the correct password and directory, then work with your ISP again. I've had problem accessing my FTP server before where the ISP did not grant me permissions to my own directory, and only they were able to correct it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.