Computer Help forum

Question

Major computer issue! Slow Startup & Loading/Game FPS Ruined

by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 8:20 AM PDT

What basically happened,

My computer randomly got extremely slow. When I play games (for example: CS:GO) my FPS (Frames Per Second) is only 1/4 of my usual performance. Which means that instead of running a game with 60 FPS, it runs it with 15 FPS (it's basically unplayable). When this problem happened the computer had been off for around 5 days. When I got on it after this period of time, I uninstalled McAfee to replace it with ESET (wich I know isn't the problem, I tested it). This problem doesn't only happen in games, its permanent. Basically my computer is 75% slower than it normally is. If anyone has an idea of what it could be please let me know. If nothing helps, I'll reset my computer and hope it's fixed. If it still happens I'll know its a part of my PC that is broken.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Major computer issue! Slow Startup & Loading/Game FPS Ruined
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Major computer issue! Slow Startup & Loading/Game FPS Ruined
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'd tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 8:24 AM PDT

I'd want to see/read how you removed McAfee since their uninstaller leaves junk behind.

Collapse -
McAfee removal details
by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd tell more.

I only used the uninstaller, nothing else.
Do I need to do something else?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: McAfee removal details
Collapse -
Alright.
by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

I'll try that.

If it doesn't work I'll let you know.

Collapse -
I didn't write it would work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Alright.

It's just one of the many areas to explore. There is so little known about this PC except what you shared so members may not have much to work with.

Collapse -
It didn't work.
by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 8:49 AM PDT

It's still doing the same thing.
I'm sorry I can't give more information, I don't know what might cause that at all.
Is there anything else that might cause this?

Collapse -
Too many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: It didn't work.

Such as another malware infection, using Microsoft's Driver Update, heck, any of those crappy Drive Update apps to hardware issues like a heatsink that fell off.

There are no PC details so where to start?
Bob

Collapse -
This might help?
by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Too many things.

This problem had never been absent. Usually, it would be on rare occasion and would be easy to fix by simply rebooting my computer. The thing is that it only affected 50% of my performance, not 75%. When this permanent problem started, it also only affected 50%, only later did it affect 75%.

OR

When I installed ESET, it reported 4 suspect files. Those 4 files honestly didn't look suspect to me, but I removed them anyways. I believe one or multiple of them were related to WinRAR. Could it be because I removed an essential file? I could still load a backup of the day this all happened, hoping it would be fixed, but this will only be if nothing else helps.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
OK so it never worked right?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 9:01 AM PDT

Maybe there is more about this PC to be told such as make, model, story. But given the lack of detail I'd have to write take it back and let them fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
PC Details.
by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 9:13 AM PDT

My PC is an HP TouchSmart 600, about 5 years old.
Nothing bad ever happened to it.

ES: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64 bit)
GPU: Nvidia GT 200 P7450 (1GB Memory)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.13GHz)
RAM: 4GB
RAM (USABLE): 2,3GB <--- Is this normal?
MEM: 750GB
MEM (FREE): 446GB

Anything else?

Collapse -
So this is a PC from 2008?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Details.

The GPU with GDDR3 is going to get hammered on today's games.

The 2.3GB usable is odd. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354621-windows-7-64bit-8gb-ram-only-3gb-usable-low-memory-issue.html covers one of the usual. Another is a rootkit infection.

Given the dated hardware I don't expect it to be cured without new cards. A current gen GPU with DDR5 RAM at least.

--> Now that we know it's old, tell us how long it's been since the heatsink compounds on CPU and GPU was replaced along with a deep canned air cleaning.
Bob

Collapse -
Might be Rootkit Infection?
by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 9:44 AM PDT

It doesn't tell me I only have 2.3GB usable, I used ESET's SysRescue program to see this information.

A Rootkit infection might be the cause of it, If nothing else works I'll load an old save.

The last time my computer was cleaned and heatsink coumpounds replaced? I honestly have no idea. It might have never been cleaned or the heatsink compounds might have never been replaced. If I reload an old save and it still happens I'll do that. I thought about replacing the GPU/CPU/RAM multiple times, but if you look up my PC model it's All-in-One. I don't know if opening it is a great idea.

Collapse -
Here's what it looks like.
by AtNvme / May 27, 2015 9:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Who knows what SysRescue is doing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 9:53 PM PDT

Why not use Windows own report? Otherwise you may run into some app issue and that would mislead us.

Since it's that old and you don't know about when it's been cleaned it's time. Good to know that it's not been maintained.
Bob

Collapse -
I think I figured it out...
by AtNvme / May 29, 2015 7:54 AM PDT

So, I finally got a clear idea of what it could be.

I loaded previous saves. It worked, but only until I turned it off again. As soon as I get back on the computer, the performances drop. All this makes me think it's a Rootkit Infection. I installed MWB to try and get rid of it (if there's one at all).

Let me know what you think?

Collapse -
So yeah...
by AtNvme / May 29, 2015 8:02 AM PDT

It appears I have Trojans Viruses.

MWB detected a other things, which I got rid of. This might also mean I have other nasty programs. I'll keep an eye out.

Hopefully it helps.

Collapse -
Grif uses a handful of scans since not one gets them all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: So yeah...
Collapse -
I tried so many things...
by AtNvme / May 29, 2015 11:19 AM PDT

Whenever I backup or when MWB finds malwares and restarts the computer it goes well. My computer is 100% fine. But as soon as I restart it myself it happens again. I tried multiple Anti-Malwares but none seems to work.

It just happened, as soon as Malwarebytes restarted my computer it went very well. At some point it started lagging, so I restarted my computer and it all started again.

It doesn't get worse and worse, it just happens at specific moments and for a reason I don't know or understand.

I looked for viruses, malwares, whatever I could think of.

By the way, I did try AdwCleaner too. Didn't work.

Collapse -
I can't tell if McAfee is gone or not. DO THIS!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 1:59 PM PDT

Post a new reply with a HIJACKTHIS LOG after you reboot. If I see 5 Chrome entries I will take it you didn't follow the advice. I'll check it for the usual.

Collapse -
Something happened.
by AtNvme / May 30, 2015 1:02 AM PDT

When I say your last reply I went to sleep, it was 0:00 am. Now I just woke up and my computer doesn't boot up anymore. It says it failed to access the user selection thing. I got it to work after a bit though.

Now I am guessing this has something to do with the extremely slow startups I experience once in a while. I do believe that this whole problem might have something due to a startup issue, since sometimes it works just fines and others it doesn't.

I'll try to do that HIJACKTHIS LOG thing, but I never did so how is it done? Do I need specific programs? I don't want to download anything and get more nasty viruses.

By the way, thanks for your constant help, I appreciate it!

Collapse -
The STARTUP FAILURE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2015 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Something happened.

Can point us back at hardware issues. This appears to be a machine from 2008 so it's very likely to be suffering from BAD CAPS (see google.)

As to HIJACKTHIS I get mine from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hijackthis/

We are only interested in the log output so folk that are scared usually can't make progress.
Bob

Collapse -
Have you read your own thread ?
by itsdigger / May 29, 2015 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: So yeah...

you said in the beginning >

" I uninstalled McAfee to replace it with ESET (wich I know isn't the problem, I tested it). This problem doesn't only happen in games, its permanent. Basically my computer is 75% slower than it normally is. If anyone has an idea of what it could be please let me know. If nothing helps, I'll reset my computer and hope it's fixed. If it still happens I'll know its a part of my PC that is broken."

Than a couple of replies later you said >
"This problem had never been absent. Usually, it would be on rare occasion and would be easy to fix by simply rebooting my computer. The thing is that it only affected 50% of my performance, not 75%. When this permanent problem started, it also only affected 50%, only later did it affect 75%."

Don't you think these things get worse ? Did you believe computers heal themselves?

Now you can't even trust your backups . If I were you you I'd do a clean install of everything and as you use anything from a backup do a scan on each file/folder individually

Digger

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!