Speakeasy forum

General discussion

MajMajority of ority of Nobel jury 'objected to Obama prize'

by EdHannigan / October 14, 2009 11:51 PM PDT
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gOy7GLcrP7iQja3yU5Zu4BHMqFdw

OSLO ? Three of the five members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee had objections to the Nobel Peace Prize being awarded to US President Barack Obama, the Norwegian tabloid Verdens Gang (VG) reported Thursday.
"VG has spoken to a number of sources who confirmed the impression that a majority of the Nobel committee, at first, had not decided to give the peace prize to Barack Obama," the newspaper said.
In a surprise move last Friday, the Nobel committee attributed the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama less than nine months after he had taken office.
The committee, appointed by the Norwegian parliament, honoured Obama for "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."
"The committee was unanimous," its influential secretary Geir Lundestad told AFP on Friday.
-------------------------------------
I guess it depends on what the meaning of "unanimous " is.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MajMajority of ority of Nobel jury 'objected to Obama prize'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MajMajority of ority of Nobel jury 'objected to Obama prize'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's wrong here?
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 12:00 AM PDT

At first, some members objected, we're being told.
After discussing the subject, they were anonymous. That's how it can work. Some people, you know, are willing to let themselves convinced by arguments and are open to a compromise.

I can't see anything out of the ordinary, having some discussion before an unanymous decision is taken.

Kees

Collapse -
RE: they were anonymous.
by JP Bill / October 15, 2009 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: What's wrong here?

Don't think this won't be brought up.

unanimous?

Perhaps they were both? Wink

Collapse -
Sorry I guess it was already brought up
by JP Bill / October 15, 2009 12:45 AM PDT

Gonna' have to start reading all the posts.

Collapse -
It's no big deal
by James Denison / October 15, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

It's a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they did it, sort of a tweak to the world. Since that's happened I've received notices of other prizes Obama's been awarded, like the Heisman Trophy for watching a football game. One of the better ones has pictures of him accepting a whole slew of different awards for the most mundane of associations. Relax, sit back and enjoy the humor of it all! No doubt there's more to come.

Collapse -
RE: It's a joke
by JP Bill / October 15, 2009 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: It's no big deal

Is the punch line a cheque for $1 million?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.