Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Main Computer Won't Connect

by tahitibubbles / November 22, 2005 11:37 PM PST

Hi,
I have 4 computers in my house. Recently, the main computer, that has the network (Linksys) and the DSL internet, will not connect to the internet. However, the other 3 will not. I have tried updating the modem and the network with drivers. I have run Spybot, Ad-aware, CleanUp, Ewido, and Norton. It is a Desktop running Windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Main Computer Won't Connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Main Computer Won't Connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add one more. WINSOCKXPFIX
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 11:54 PM PST

Found with google.com it will push the winsock settings back to normal.

As always, it's a first response before we dive any deeper into the issue. And I like that list you used.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
by tahitibubbles / November 23, 2005 12:30 AM PST

I ran the program and it still didn't work.

Stephanei

Collapse -
Nothing
by tahitibubbles / November 23, 2005 12:33 AM PST

I ran the program and it still didn't work.

Stephanei

Collapse -
I'll have to wait.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing

For more details. Your post is a little light on network, addresses, etc. Be assured I won't ask for everything since this is all volunteer work. You pile in the information and let others pick it over.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm not sure
by tahitibubbles / November 23, 2005 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: I'll have to wait.

what type of information do you want. What do you mean by network and addresses?

Stephanie

Collapse -
For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not sure

If you noted the lacking PC had an address of 169.x.x.x someone would tell you something.

But I can't ask for every detail. Here's why. This is all volunteer efforts. Not a tech support area. You get out and push along too.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
I tried to get the IP address,
by tahitibubbles / November 23, 2005 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: For example.

using the command promt ipconfig/all and ipconfig, but instead of giving me the address all it says is: Windows IP Configuration.
Also, when I try to Repair any of the three connections in my network connections, it says that it "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

The computer is a Gateway with the serial number: 0029112436. Like mentioned above, there are three connections in the Network Connections folder: Local Area Connection 5, with Westell WireSpeed Dual Connectio; Local Area Connection 4, with Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Connection; and 1394 Connection, 1394 Net Adapter. All three say they are connected.

Our internet provider is Verizon.

My laptops' IP address is 192.168.1.101. I'm not sure if that would help at all.

Hopefully this is some information that is useful.

Stephanie

Collapse -
That's part of the clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 7:48 AM PST

"Westell WireSpeed Dual Connectio" would mean this machine is not connected to a router?

Please consider I may have missed the setup of your LAN but that entry would only be needed if you were using the USB connection of the DSL modem. That's not the usual setup.

For most of us the setup is DSL Modem -> Router -> PCs.

I'd toss that "Westell WireSpeed Dual Connectio" entry.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok, so I disconnected....
by tahitibubbles / November 23, 2005 1:41 PM PST

the USB from the modem to the computer. Internet still does not work for the main computer, but I see how they were connected in a circle... What was I thinking?

Also, when I disable the Local Area Connection 4, and then try to enable it, it says "Network cable is unplugged." 1394 Connection will not disable. It just stays connected.

Stephanie

Collapse -
It's fixed.
by tahitibubbles / November 24, 2005 11:42 PM PST

So, for some reason, going to Network Connections > Local Area Connection 4 Properties and then check marking "Show icon in notification area when connected" has turned the internet back on. Thanks for all your help.

Stephanie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.