General discussion

Mailing Labels in Mac Address Book

Hi. I am a new Mac user and I need help with mailing labels. When I print my labels, I want to use a custom field - Label Name - as the first line on the label, rather than the name of the contact. Is there a way to do this? For example, I might have a contact name of Joe Johnson, but I will have The Johnsons as his Label Name for sending holiday cards, etc. I don't want to change all my contact names to these appropriate label names. Is there a way to configure the mailing label to print the custom field rather than the first and last name? Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Mailing Labels in Mac Address Book
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Mailing Labels in Mac Address Book
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Christmas Mailing Labels

The short answer is 'No'. I cannot see any way of doing what you want with Apple software or anything free. It is possible you might be able to do it in Microsoft Office but I have not checked.
As a workaround, this is what I would do:
1. Create a new account on your Mac. Let's call it 'Xmas' for this exercise
2. From your normal account, export a vcard file of all your AddressBook contacts (or just your Christmas card list)
3. Go to Macintosh HD/Users/Xmas/Public/DropBox and drop that vcard.vcf file in there
4. Open up your Xmas account from the menu bar (you can keep your other account running too)
5. Launch AddressBook and import the vcard data from the drop box (or move the file somewhere convenient)
6. Change the Given name of all cards in your Christmas card list to 'The'
7. Print labels
The Xmas account can stay dormant from one Christmas to the next.
regards,
centurion48

- Collapse -
Mail Merge in Pages?

So if I can't do it using Address Book's Labels feature, can I do it with a Mail Merge into Pages? That is how I was able to do it on my Windows machine. I had all the info in my Outlook Contacts and then did a Mail Merge into Word and could create the labels using any fields I wanted that were available from the Contacts. Can I do something like that with Pages? Not sure how to get it to create a page of labels each with a different name and address.

CNET Forums

Forum Info