Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mailbox Attacked by Virus! HELP!!!

by contax / May 18, 2005 3:32 PM PDT

My old G-4 Mac runs on Sys. 9.2.1. About 2 weeks ago, my Outlook Express mailbox was attacked by some virus and I lost all my emails that were in the "In Box" folder while the rest of the folder were untouched! I tried looking for the cache area on my hard drive where my mailbox folders are stored, so that I could save the remaining mail folders, but could not find it. Yesterday, either the same virus or another must have attacked my mail system again and now I cannot open my mailbox and can still not find the mail cache area to try and retrieve the various mailboxes...

Can some one please let me know if

a) Is there any way that I can restore my mailbox to its past glory? or

b) Can I retrieve my mail cache? and

c) Where on my hard driveis the mail cache for the Outlook Express located??

DESPERATELY SEEKING HELP...

Thanks for any help that any one of you may be able to extend...

contax

P.S. I tried using Norton Disc Doctor, but that didn't help either...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mailbox Attacked by Virus! HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mailbox Attacked by Virus! HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be sure to check the view.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

I had a similar dialogue with someone recently and the VIEW to the inbox was sent to View, Unread. Their complaint was that all their email was missing in the Inbox. Setting the View to all cured it.

In closing, what's your backup look like? Or are you one that never does such?

Bob

Collapse -
No it wasn't
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

As Bob says, check the "view" status

P

Collapse -
Outlook Express
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 11:10 PM PDT

The Outlook Express mail database is contained in the Microsoft User Data folder which is located in the Preferences folder. If I remember rightly, there are something like 4 parts to the Database and you need ALL of them to reconstruct your email.
Play with this at your own risk. If setting your view away from "View unread only" did not "recover" your emails and rebuilding your email database did not work, then you need to be loading your backup files.
Using Norton did nothing to increase you chance of recovering anything. Do me a favor and stop using it. It usually causes more problems than it's worth.

P

Collapse -
Mailbox virus
by Marie Buteau / May 19, 2005 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Express

A mailbox virus hit over the weekend called a form of the SOBER virus. Email came in German from mainly nazi websites.

A question I have to mrmacfixit?? I am new to this forum but have read and been helped many times in the old days by the REAL MACFIXIT! He is still alive and has his website. My ? is are you profiting from using a form of his name? Just does not seem honest to use part of a real MAc Gurus name. JMHO of course.

Collapse -
Your Opinion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Mailbox virus

How interesting. What is the URL for this website, apart from the obvious macfixit.com, a website owned by Version Tracker
I have been working on, and with, Macs since before retiring from the Navy in '88 and as the only one in the company, at my first job after retirement, that knew anything about them, I was the one they called when they had a problem, I was invariably called mrmacfixit. I was also called Lord Tweaksbury as I had the knack of "tweaking" the Mac and making it work correctly again. That name did not have the same ring to it though. I have been using mrmacfixit for about 10 years now and I can assure you that I am in no way making any profit. It's hard to figure how I would be. If I was profiting, I would not have a day job in a Children's Hospital. When I first got Internet access, early '97, I was surprised to find that there was a website with a name like mine. Cool, I thought. With a few exceptions, left over from the days when I was making a living as an Apple Certified Technician, my continued work on Mac's is unpaid.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, your belief that there can only be one real Mac Guru is refreshing. I'm sure Ted, if that is in fact who you are referring to, is pleased that you think he is the only one in the world who knows anything at all about the Mac. He certainly knows more than I.
As for using a part of a name, I note that you are using part of the name of a French Queen. How cool is that!

P

Collapse -
MacFixIt
by Marie Buteau / May 19, 2005 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Your Opinion

WOW! Some resume. I do not think I said anything about only 1 Mac Guru. I have another friend that also has a Mac website and I call him a Guru. There are more than 1 I assume or we Mac people would be in trouble. I believe MacFixIt is protected under copyright rules. Just questioning if the use of name would or was or is misleading.
When MacFixIt started I do not believe he was owned by Version Tracker. As I recall they were 2 separate entities.

Except for my PB G4 I have done all my own work on all my other Macs. I am to the point now tho I do not wish to take things apart. I also have an electronic background of over 30 years but at my age now am growing out of taking apart to find out the why's.
I worked for Douglas Aircraft, McDonnell Douglas for 28 years as an electronic and avionic tech. Worked on all aircraft from DC7's through DC 10's and the A4's. Now receive my retirement pay from Boeing.

And finally I used my real name and yes am a descendant. Even lived in LA. Another of my hobbies is Genealogy. Don't know how "Cool" it is, it has always been a pain because no one could pronouce it nor spell it. I didn't mean to when I signed up but hit the wrong button and that is how I am registered. Didn't feel like registering again. Besides, I am in a secure location, Area 51 ;-).

Collapse -
No intention
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: MacFixIt

of misleading anyone.
Back at you with the Resum

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!