Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Mail Shrinks Photos

by 57jim / November 1, 2010 12:27 PM PDT

I'm having a problem with Mail on OS 10.6.4.

When I send a photo that comes from my computer, Mail shrinks the display size to pretty tiny, regardless of the file size. It didn't used to do this.

When the photo has been emailed to me, regardless of how I move it over, it does far worse: it shrinks the file size from as much as 6.6 MB to a bit less than 40 KB. THe only solution that sometimes works is to import it to a graphics program, re-save it, and then send it? a major pain.

I've tried dragging & dropping from incoming to outgoing email, to desktop (preserves size) and then to email (where it shrinks), using the Save command in the email, using contextual menu. I've used the attach comand, dragged and dropped, and used GraphicConverter's Email/ Full Size command, and used iPhoto's Share/Email/Full Size command.

***?

Second gripe: when I forward an email or copy and send it repeatedly, a box appears around the message. How do I get rid of it?

Or, at this point, I feel I should be asking for recommendations for other email software.

Jim
MacBook Pro early 2007

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mail Shrinks Photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mail Shrinks Photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Options
by Kevin M. Dean / November 2, 2010 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Mail Shrinks Photos

Ok, second problem first. The box is only something you see. It just designates an area of text that's either rich text or html formatted. If you convert to plain text it'll go away, but that shouldn't be necessary.

First problem, when sending an email with a graphic attachment, make not of the lower right corner of the window. You should see an Image Size menu. Yours sounds like it's set to Small, Medium or Large. Try setting it to Actual Size and your image files shouldn't shrink down when sending.

Collapse -
Re: Mail Shrinks Photos
by 57jim / November 2, 2010 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Options

Woah, both questions answered!

Thanks for explaining the box. I can send Rich TExt emails to most folks and I often like them to look a certain way, and that way doesn't include boxes. I'm glad they don't see it.

Second, what can I say but D'oh! I've never felt a need to look in the lower corner until now. While I wish they'd put that control up top or in Preferences where I would have spotted it, I can say for sure it is effective.

Thanks, Kevin!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.