General discussion

Mail Shrinks Photos

I'm having a problem with Mail on OS 10.6.4.

When I send a photo that comes from my computer, Mail shrinks the display size to pretty tiny, regardless of the file size. It didn't used to do this.

When the photo has been emailed to me, regardless of how I move it over, it does far worse: it shrinks the file size from as much as 6.6 MB to a bit less than 40 KB. THe only solution that sometimes works is to import it to a graphics program, re-save it, and then send it? a major pain.

I've tried dragging & dropping from incoming to outgoing email, to desktop (preserves size) and then to email (where it shrinks), using the Save command in the email, using contextual menu. I've used the attach comand, dragged and dropped, and used GraphicConverter's Email/ Full Size command, and used iPhoto's Share/Email/Full Size command.

***?

Second gripe: when I forward an email or copy and send it repeatedly, a box appears around the message. How do I get rid of it?

Or, at this point, I feel I should be asking for recommendations for other email software.

Jim
MacBook Pro early 2007

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Mail Shrinks Photos
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Mail Shrinks Photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Options

Ok, second problem first. The box is only something you see. It just designates an area of text that's either rich text or html formatted. If you convert to plain text it'll go away, but that shouldn't be necessary.

First problem, when sending an email with a graphic attachment, make not of the lower right corner of the window. You should see an Image Size menu. Yours sounds like it's set to Small, Medium or Large. Try setting it to Actual Size and your image files shouldn't shrink down when sending.

- Collapse -
Re: Mail Shrinks Photos

Woah, both questions answered!

Thanks for explaining the box. I can send Rich TExt emails to most folks and I often like them to look a certain way, and that way doesn't include boxes. I'm glad they don't see it.

Second, what can I say but D'oh! I've never felt a need to look in the lower corner until now. While I wish they'd put that control up top or in Preferences where I would have spotted it, I can say for sure it is effective.

Thanks, Kevin!

CNET Forums

Forum Info