Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mail Merge in Windows ME

I'm a mail merge newbie and can't figure out how to add a data field to my data base records. If I can't add to my data base records I'll have to start a new one and retype much information. I don't have Microsoft Access, so I presume the two data sources would not be relational, which is why I would have to retype what I already typed in the first datasource document.

Am I missing something?

Manina

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mail Merge in Windows ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mail Merge in Windows ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only one thing.

In reply to: Mail Merge in Windows ME

"Windows ME" the OS doesn't offer such a feature. I've seen such in Microsoft Office and other applications. It may be better to tell what application is in use, the version of and also make a post in the Microsoft Office Forum about such if such an application was being used.

Bob

Collapse -
Data Base = Mail Merge

In reply to: Mail Merge in Windows ME

Hi Manina,
A Data Base constructed with MS ''Spreadsheet/Excel'' cannot used with ''Word 2000''. [Not compatiable!!!]

You have to create a new data base using Word 2000 =

[a.]
Go to = ''Toolbar'' = ''Tools'' = ''Mail Merge'' = Dropdown Menu [Choose one = ''Letters/Mailing Labels/Envelopes''] = ''Get Data'' = ''Create Data Source'' = In the Create Data Source Box you can modify your requirements by using = Remove Field Names = Now also within this dialog box you can add = ''Add Name Field'' = to your own requirements. When satisfied click OK and then in ''SaveAs'' Box type in your file ID and Save.

Next a Word Document is shown with your selected headings to in which you to type in the names and addresses of your Data Base. Enter the names and addresses you require in the data file fields, and as you go you must not forget to use Save!
[c.]
Note! To move through the data base fields use the keyboard?s Tab or the Arrows Keys

Collapse -
Added Info Data Base = Mail Merge

In reply to: Data Base = Mail Merge

I just read my ''Reply'' and noticed I forgot to mention to you to use ''Landscape'' page setup.This will give you a wide page set up making it easy to manage and read!
[1.]
Go to ''File'' on tool bar and to ''Page Setup'' and to ''Paper Size'' and click on ''Landscape''.

Collapse -
Added Info Data Base = Mail Merge

In reply to: Added Info Data Base = Mail Merge

Thanks, again, Colindarby. I do use Landscape and sometimes Portrait for a more limited list format.

But I need to add a data field, and if I can't add it to this database then I'll have to retype a lot of information into a fresh, new database. This is my dilemma.

Thanks again.
Manina

Collapse -
Data Base = Mail Merge

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more specific in my question. My data base is the one you describe in part a). Once I have made that data base, is it still possible to add an additional record? thanks. Manina

Collapse -
Yes You Can Add to the Data Base

Yes, you can add additional ''Columns'' [with named identities on the tops] and additional ''Rows'' to your formed database

[1]
First have your data base opened up.
Now if you have No ''Grid Lines'' showing go to ''Tool Bar'' = ''Tables'' = ''Show Grid Lines'' =

[2[
To insert the ''Colums''/''Rows'' go to ''ToolBar'' = ''Table'' = ''Insert'' = ''Columns and or ''Rows'' =.

[3]
On the top of the Columns you type in the ''Descriptive Headings'' [The headings will appear when using the data base with mail merge]

[4]
It is important that before you carry out No. [5] below that you ''Save'' a extra copy of your data base!!!!!!

[5]
Possibly You may wish to print a hard copy out of your ?Data Base? [makes it easy to read] to show ?Grid Lines? This can be accomplished by going to = Toolbar = Format = Borders and Shading = Borders folder = can use = All or Grid = To verify that you have the Black Grid lines showing = Print Preview - Icon = After printing you must not forget to use the = ?Undo? Arrow = Alternatively, you [must] say No to ?Save? when you close the document as if you do not, you will loose your Data Base Setup and you will have to reconstruct it again!!
[The data base that is saved WITHOUT ''Grid Lines'' is usable, but if you have available only the data base with ''Grid Lines'' it will be a UNUSABLE data base!!!???]

[6]
If you would like to glamorise the data field document follow as below.
Make sure you have a extra copy/copies [by using Save/as] of the address data. Then try this = Have your curser flashing before the first character in the first field name and hit enter only once, go to = Toolbar = View = Header = and in the header field type in your Heading description. [The Header/Description will show as a mask] Now be extra careful do not alter the distance between the Header and the Document as it make the mail merge non-functional.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please note I forgot to metion you it is possible you may be able to use a ''Data Base'' that has been formed with ''MS Excel'' and ''NOT'' with the with one formed with the ''MS Works Suite'' Data base]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Collapse -
Modified Paragraph [5]

In reply to: Yes You Can Add to the Data Base

Modified = Have re read paragraph 5 and in the topic I note I should have mentioned that if you save the ''Data Base'' that contains the ''Black Grid lines'' the ''Data Base'' is not usable!
[5]
Possibly You may wish to print a hard copy out of your ?Data Base? [makes it easy to read] to show ?Grid Lines? This can be accomplished by going to = Toolbar = Format = Borders and Shading = Borders folder = can use = All or Grid = To verify that you have the Black Grid lines showing = Print Preview - Icon = After printing you must not forget to use the = ?Undo? Arrow = Alternatively, you [must] say No to ?Save? when you close the document as if you do not, you will loose your Data Base Setup and you will have to reconstruct it again!!
[If the above data base is saved WITHOUT ''Black Grid Lines'' it will be usable, but if you only have the data base with the above ''Black Grid Lines'' ''Saved'' you will find it will be a UNUSABLE data base!!!???]

Collapse -
Yes You Can Add to the Data Base

In reply to: Yes You Can Add to the Data Base

Colindarby thank you soooo much for meticulous instructions. It will take me a few days to return to this matter and add to my data base. I'll let you know how it turned out.
Manina

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.