General discussion

Mail bombs on opening after install of Snow leopard&iLife

My hard drive died and was replaced a week or so a go. The technician in the iSpot store (the substitute for Apple Stores in Warsaw, Poland) installed Snow Leapord and apparently did not install iLife. After I restored using Migration Assistant from my Time Machine, the iLife programs and Mail would not load.

I took it back and the tech reinstalled reinstalled OS 10.6 and iLife'09. I restored again from Time Machine the the iLife programs then would load and work fine, but Mail is still bombing. Here is what it says in relevant part in the window that appears after clicking on Mail in the dock.

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/iLifeMediaBrowser
Referenced from: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iLifeMediaBrowser.framework/Versions/A/iLifeMediaBrowser: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

I have tried to reinstall iLife'09 and still get this message.

Does anyone have suggestions for what to do? How do I get it to find the "suitable image"?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Mail bombs on opening after install of Snow leopard&iLife
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Mail bombs on opening after install of Snow leopard&iLife
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Download a copy of Pacifist

use it to copy out the Mail installation program from your OS X installation disk.

Then run the Mail installation program.

P

- Collapse -
Why Pacifist?

I did an optional reinstall of mail from the Snow Leopard install disk and Mail still show the same error message when I try to open it.

So, does using Pacifist to access the Mail and do a reinstall from the OS do something more?

Thanks, Ike

- Collapse -
No, but

it is not always possible to do an optional install of stuff from the install disk.

Did you remove all traces of the old app and before installing?

P

CNET Forums