HolidayBuyer's Guide

MacBooks forum

Rant

MAGSAFE Damaged or What!? Not charging MPB 8,1

by tevcrvm / February 24, 2014 11:12 PM PST

Hi. i boutght this (Late 11' MBP 13") item has less than a week of use since it arrived last friday 02-21, the Magsafe adapter stopped working normally on sunday Feb 23rd. The laptop was left on by saturday night (Feb 22nd) downloading an OS update and next day (sunday Feb 23rd) it showed like it was not connected. Didn't recognized the power adapter for a long while, then it did, then again when it was unplugged, didn't recognized it again. The laptop was off for about a day, then plugged up again last night (Feb 24th) and it recognized the power adapter, then unplugged it to check it was an isolated incident, but No, it did NOT recognized the Magsafe again, so the fail persists. Please I'd like your help about this. I already tried to reset de PRAM, SMC (but don't know if it has indeed reseted) and tried to update SMC and EFI but one of them told me that the software was incorrect for the hardware. Please help me, I want to completely Enjoy my Mac

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MAGSAFE Damaged or What!? Not charging MPB 8,1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MAGSAFE Damaged or What!? Not charging MPB 8,1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
update
by tevcrvm / February 24, 2014 11:13 PM PST

It's a T-shaped adapter BTW

Collapse -
Re: damaged
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 11:14 PM PST

Seems like a warranty case. Back to the shop for a repair or exchange.

Kees

Collapse -
by tevcrvm / February 25, 2014 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re: damaged

I bought it used my friend, and I'm not at the states, I sent it to Venezuela. No other comments whatsoever regarding the plug or some soft/firmware cause?

Collapse -
Software cause!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: reply

OK, that one is easy. Reload the OS and if it's that, it will work.

HOWEVER with laptops the simple test is this. Don't even need to turn it on. Just plug in and it should charge.

As to your "firmware" cause the only time I ran into that was someone that thought they would install some crack bios. Very strange and they had dozens of dead laptops. I just nodded and said thanks but no thanks to their business.

I re-read your top post and it sounds like it needs repair. If no shop in your country, search for international repair options.
Bob

Collapse -
by tevcrvm / February 25, 2014 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Software cause!

Thanks Bob. How come do I Reload the OS? remember I'm a complete noob at Mac OS so I'm struggling with every possibility here.

I may think it's a firmware/corrupted software stuff since as I told you, I came to work all day yesterday and when I returned home last night just plugged it (while still OFF) and it Did began to charge. Turned it on a while later and worked nicely, but when I unplugged it, it didn't recognized the power cord again. That's the weard stuff.

BTW I tried also plugging it to a UPS and nothing, didn't wanted to charge again.

Collapse -
Reload would be per Apple's instructions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

I used google and it appears Apple documents this. As I don't duplicate the web I think you should try using Apple's own instructions.

If it doesn't want to charge, either it's charged enough or is busted.

IDEA!!! I have run into folk that don't understand why a laptop won't charge when it's done charging. I wonder.
Bob

Collapse -
Battery indicator
by tevcrvm / February 25, 2014 3:45 AM PST

It can't be charged since the battery indicator tells me a number <100% bob, and it's depleting continously as I use the MBP.

Collapse -
this may seem a little simple,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Battery indicator

but how about changing out the power adapter to see if the power adapter is capable of doing the job.

They do fail.

P

Collapse -
How much less?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Battery indicator

One of the new laptops at the office is using a battery life extension system and it won't charge until it hits 79%.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.