HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Magnetic interference with my monitor

by kegizsftzp / October 17, 2006 2:03 PM PDT

I am worried about magnetic interference with my monitor. I recently had to return my monitor back where I got it from because it was acting weird and I thought it was just the monitor's fault. I'm thinking that I was probably the cause of the monitor messing up. Is it safe to have other electronics close to your monitor? I have my xbox, tv, and vcr a few feet away from my monitor. Should I move these? (even though I have no where else to put em' really....) If that's not the problem what about non-shielded speakers? I don't know much about non-shielded speakers so how can I tell the difference between shielded and non-shielded? The only speakers I have are the ones that came with my computer and I really don't have a choice to move them that far away because the cord isn't that long.

Can someone help me with this problem please because I don't want my new monitor to suffer the same fate.

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Magnetic interference with my monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Magnetic interference with my monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends
by jackson dougless / October 17, 2006 11:04 PM PDT

It all really depends on the strength of the magnetic field generated by the other devices. Though even a weak field can have a cumulative effect over a long period of time.

One easy way to solve this problem would be to get an LCD monitor, which doesn't use magnets to aid in displaying images. They cost more, but do pay for themselves over time in reduced power consumption over CRTs. They take up less space too, which is always a bonus in my book.

Otherwise, your Xbox is probably fine to have nearby, but a TV and VCR operate using magnetic fields so may not be the greatest thing to have around. Unshielded speakers would depend on the power. Your typical stereo desktop speakers probably don't generate a powerful enough field to even make it to the TV, even if right next to it. The more powerful the speakers, the more you want some distance.

I'd suggest considering the LCD monitor. It's an investment, and it may take a few months to a year, but it will ultimately make you money over a CRT.

Collapse -
One thing I can attest to ....
by grin_n_bare / October 18, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

A Battery Backup! Placed near a monitor can make it act up big time. Especially if close to the front, doesn't seem to bother it if the battery is place to the back.

Happy Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.