TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Magnavox MWD200GA won't play certain disc

by suzychickens / November 20, 2011 9:59 AM PST

I've had my MWD220GA for more than 5 years and it has played everything we put into it. However, now it won't play a regular, commercially bought DVD from 2005. The disc is not Blu_Ray. It is a Barbie movie that has an option for playing with or without 3D. I have 2 of the same discs because one was a duplicate gift. The machine will not play either one. It also had a hard time playing the same movie from the library, but we did once successfully get the library disc to play - but have never been able to get either of our personal discs to play. Anyone have any ideas? Will this old, cheap DVD player just not handle a 3D capable disc? The discs both play just fine on our 3 year old laptop and on my sister's DVD player which is as old as mine.

suzychickens has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Magnavox MWD200GA won't play certain disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Magnavox MWD200GA won't play certain disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by suzychickens

Collapse -
This illustrates the weakness of the DVD medium
by Pepe7 / November 20, 2011 11:52 AM PST

Sometimes you may encounter DVDs that won't play back on a specific machine. With homemade DVDs it can be an issue of DVD+R vs DVD-R compatibility (or lack therof). It's often trial and error. Laptop/PC drives will tend to play back more than standalone players IME.

Collapse -
thanks!
by suzychickens / November 20, 2011 9:47 PM PST

Hi Pepe,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am at the point where I had given up on this disc playing unless we buy a new player but I thought I would post here first for ideas, though. What a bummer. When you buy a standard DVD product at a big retail store and it won't work on a standard machine, then something just isn't right. My daughter is pretty disappointed. At least she can still watch it on the computer - even though that's not quite the same since we have one with a small screen and not so great sound. I wish people had not abandoned VHS - especially for kids movies! Maybe I will have to look for this movie on VHS.

Collapse -
One more suggestion
by Pepe7 / November 20, 2011 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: thanks!

If you do decide to replace the standalone DVD player, I suggest that you stick with a name brand that has better support, and is a little more likely (but not 100%) to play back different DVD formats. The good thing is they are relatively inexpensive of late.

Collapse -
Skip VHS
by Dan Filice / November 20, 2011 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: thanks!

The DVD you have has the latest encoding, so your "antique" DVD player has finally met a disc it won't play. Now days, most people update the firmware on their DVD players to stay compatible with the latest DVD encoding processes. All you need is a new DVD player. My preference is a $99 Sony. At some point all DVD players may have issues with discs as new features are included that need advanced programming.

It's interesting that you have a 3-D capable disc that isn't BluRay. I haven't seen this yet.

Collapse -
The disc in question is an older disc; 4-5 years.
by suzychickens / November 21, 2011 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Skip VHS

Well, it is definitely not a BluRay disc and it is not new, so I doubt it has very new encoding. The disc is about 4-5 years old. It was sent to us by my sister, who had no problem playing it. Her daughter is in middle school now, so the disc was passed on to us. The disc is almost as old as my DVD player. It is not a new disc, so that is what makes it so baffling. The one we borrowed from the library of the same movie (that also would not play) is an older disc, too, and also not BluRay. The one I bought new is also not Blu Ray. They all have the same packaging and the same coding on the box, so they all seem the same. We've played all kinds of new discs on it with no problems - including latest releases from RedBox and our local movie store. I was thinking we just got a defective disc, until my sister sent hers and it did not work, either. I guess I did not know that Magnavox was conisdered a bad brand. I remember it used to be good, but maybe not?

Collapse -
Understood
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2011 3:16 AM PST

If you do a little research <nudge, nudge, wink, wink> ;), you will discover that many of the studios, including Disney, sometimes release certain annoyances ("added features") with their DVD retail products. It can be a complicated, hot mess depending on which release you are working with, and what hardware you are trying to play it back on. YMMV. It's unfortunately not as simple as Blu Ray vs DVD. The *really* old DVDs (older than the one in question) most certainly had less issues with less crap being peddled/marketed by the studios.

Collapse -
You'e not alone with non-playable DVDs
by Dan Filice / November 21, 2011 3:17 AM PST

I have a standard DVD that won't play in any of my 4 Panasonic DVD players (2 which are BluRay players). My Sony players and my PS3 play the disc just fine. There is a fine line between the programming on discs vs. the DVD players being compatible with the zillion of codes on every disc. That Magnovox may just have an issue. Most likey you can't upgrade the firmware on this old player. You can browse though this forum and read how many players have issues with some discs. Since Sony was the main creator of the BluRay format, I was suggesting a Sony player. My Sony players play everything. One more thing: If you feel compelled to buy a new DVD player, don't buy Magnavox, and buy a BluRay player. First, Magnavox is like RCA which is like Sylvania which is like Westinghouse. At one time they stood for quality, now they stand for cheap electronics. Second, a BluRay player will have the latest firmware to play most everything. I've never had my Sony BR players reject any disc, so I'm a firm believer in them. Third, what connections does your TV have to connect it to your DVD player? Does it have Component or HDMI? If it's old, it will most likely only have Component (Red, Green & Blue cables for video). If you get a BR player and connect it to your TV using Component, you will be amazed at the quality of the image like you've never seen before.

Collapse -
thanks for all the advice
by suzychickens / November 21, 2011 5:40 AM PST

I appreciate all the advice here and now have some ideas when it is time to buy a new player. Since I can get this movie for $6 new on Amazon in VHS, I think I will do that. Right now it is the only movie I have ever been unable to play, including many other newer Barbie movies from the same maker. Once I start having issues with other discs, then it will be time for a new player and now I have some good ideas on which to consider. Thanks again!

Collapse -
$6 for a VHS?
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2011 2:36 PM PST

Your kids must really be huge Barbie fans ;).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.