Peripherals forum

General discussion

MagicJack Dials Random Numbers

by marinermama / December 10, 2007 3:56 AM PST

Hi all,
I hope I'm in the right place. We bought MagicJack and really like it, but we have a problem. When we use the speakerphone function of our cordless phone, MagicJack enters random numbers which the person on the other end of the call (but not we) can hear. Tech support at MagicJack doesn't have a clue what we're talking about. If we use a corded phone or turn off the speakerphone feature, it's fine, but we want to use the speakerphone. MagicFix won't download, so that's no help. We have Windows XP home edition.
Thanks
Neva

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MagicJack Dials Random Numbers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MagicJack Dials Random Numbers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks like a scam of sorts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 4:02 AM PST

There are VOIP solutions galore out there. Get your money back and try another.

Collapse -
No it's Legit
by marinermama / December 10, 2007 5:00 AM PST

It's a legit device, it just does this weird thing. And only if we have the speakerphone on. Tech Support at the website says to turn the volume down on the speakerphone but it doesn't help. We're using Windows XP home edition.

Collapse -
Mute the mic on Windows XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: No it's Legit

That's my only thought about this short of asking for refund.

Collapse -
Magic Jack Solution
by Amovernshaker135 / April 27, 2008 10:34 PM PDT

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your Magic Jack. While I don't have one yet, I have read on many different blogs that it is most likely a defective jack and needs to be exchanged. I would arrange to get it replaced. That should resolve the problem. Best of luck.

Richard

Collapse -
MJ sucks
by Boothbay / May 24, 2008 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Magic Jack Solution

There chat support is like talking aimlessly to a outsource tech in Indaa or wherever they are. I've spent hours just typing in the chat area ( the only support one gets ). First , people i try to speak with over the phone keep telling me that my voice breaks up and their's also. Chat says don't use a cordless or cellphone...the commercial clearly shows a woman over a cordless phone..loud and clear. Then support suggests to tweak my router, modem and etc change ports, delete Nero, Musicmatch and etc. The one good thing is that i am on a trial month basis and going to return it..of course, i have to pay for the shipping. The concept is great..IF IT WORKS>

Collapse -
WORKS FINE 4 SOME !!
by elperro / December 2, 2008 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: MJ sucks

MY WIFE MAKES CALLS 2 COLOMBIA......CLEAR CALLS,JUST DON'T LIKE THAT FAXES CAN BE RECEIVED FROM IT.CAUSE VOICEMAIL INTERCEPT.

Collapse -
Magic Jack, all problem and no solution.
by Rinoferoce / May 13, 2008 9:23 AM PDT

I dont know where to start.

I bought a MagicJack and experienced problem after problem with it since. First, it arrived 30 day later and never worked properly. Moreover, I have lost about 20 hours total chatting with them without any results. Secondly, they refused to replace it, even though they admit it is defective. Thirdly, they refuse to give me back my money.

If I can recommend 1 thing to everybody that reads this, it is to stay away from that company and its products.

And I am told everywhere I go that many people complain about the same problems that I have experienced.

Collapse -
Wow, Didn't know people had so many problems?
by shannonthomas79 / June 28, 2008 5:39 AM PDT

I have had magic jack now for 2 months. From day one I have had NO problems. I love it!!!!!!!! The voice mail works great. I pay one time a year!!!! People can hear me great and I them. I do have a windows xp hp I do not know if it works better with this computer? But I LOVE IT!!! This has saved me A LOT of money!!!!!!!! It is now my only phone!!!!! Happy

Collapse -
Do you Have Home Fax Machine?
by Amovernshaker / June 28, 2008 3:48 PM PDT

Have you tried to send a fax with your MJ? I have yet to have received any responses on this question. This is very important for me because I do and would want to be able to use it on that line.

Thanks.

Collapse -
i have MJ ALSO
by elperro / December 2, 2008 2:14 AM PST

I KNOW THAT IT WILL NOT RECEIVE FAXES BECAUSE VOICE MAIL KEEPS PICKING UP & KNOCKING OFF FAX RECEPTION

Collapse -
FAX ANSWER
by elperro / December 2, 2008 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: i have MJ ALSO

I HAVE IT SET TO 1 RING AND NO DIFFERANCE TO BY PASS THAT.MAJIC JACK ALWAYS PICKS UP FIRST

Collapse -
fax and mj
by leestanley / November 29, 2011 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: i have MJ ALSO

Its does work with faxes sending and recieving. I use MJ for my business and we send and recieve faxes with MJ. you have to set the fax to recieve before the 4 rings or manualy except the fax.

Collapse -
Magic Jack
by 13Dee / July 1, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

I've had my Magic Jack since May 08. The first month it was wonderful; I have a home based business and with teenage kids I was in need of a 2nd 'phone line'. However, for me Magic Jack is not the solution. Dropped calls; constant resetting itself while I'm performing other activities on my PC. Its a nightmare; garbled voices...no service at all; the little 'magic jack' appears on my pc screen asking me to "plug my magicjack into the USB port". The Magic Jack is plugged into the USB port WITH the lil blue light on indicating that its working...HA. I'm very frustrated. Contacted tech support...another nightmare. its as if they were communicating with 3-4 other people at the same time. Long delays in getting response to my questions or directions. Frustrating very frustrating. I'm very happy its working for you; but its not working for me and obviously not for others.

Collapse -
How do I make it my only phone?
by zagnutty / July 9, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

I have been using Magic Jack for over 2 weeks and love it.
However, I know it requires broadband (which I have thru AT&T), but if I drop AT&T, I will not have broadband.

So then....How is it possible to drop my landline?

Collapse -
Call ATT
by drmwelsh / July 21, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

You can now get DSL only through ATT. I called the other day and they transferred me to internet services.....I am going to keep trying Magic Jack before I cancel my phone line

Collapse -
Answer
by Amovernshaker / August 8, 2008 1:53 PM PDT

Turn your cable's, 'Phone Service' off, but keep the internet service left on. It will allow your Magic Jack service to still work.

Collapse -
Magicjack sucks
by lphoward / September 17, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

I was able to drop my phone line with at&t and just keep the DSL for $19.95(slowest speed DSL). I am sorry that I ever bought from "Magicjack" and to make things worse I bought two at the same time. I have numerous problems from ignorant customer service from the Philippines who turn me over to a so-called supervisor who is just as ignorant. They take responsibility for their product. Echo's when talking, slow connection, numerous dropped calls, pain in the .... screen menu. I was able to return one after many, many hours of arguing with their supervisors. They put on a hold on my bank account for the defective return until they get the defective one back so I am very leery that I will ever see my refund. Which means I paid for three, only have two, and this product is a total waste of money. Even the return address is a P.O Box. Very secretive company with no accountability.

Collapse -
MagicJack hint
by drbray / December 13, 2008 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Magicjack sucks

MagicJack

Collapse -
Magic Jack Sucks
by MikeK220 / August 19, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Magicjack sucks

Your first problem is your cheap connection. It is not Magic Jack's fault. I had the dropped calls, people not hearing me but I could hear them. Not hearing the phone ringing but they heard me and so on. I had several problems they walked me through each time took time and patience. I was frustrated thinking it was their problem I could not use it on my wireless laptop. They insisted it should be no problem. They even sent me a new one. I did have to say when is enough enough and would they send me a new one, which they did, I just had to say it. I had the hold on my account for the cost but no problem after returning the previous one. After several months of it still not working unless it had a hard connection, because of another problem, I ended up having my laptop virtually stripped down and replace the insides. Different mother board and wifi card. When I plugged it in, I said what the heck and tried my Magic Jack wireless. I have not had a problem since. The entire time it was my problem but they did go out of their way to help. Don't be surprised that your problem is only attributed to your rudeness and ignorance.

Collapse -
Magic Jack with Windows 7
by energizer55 / November 30, 2008 2:37 PM PST

I have a Magic Jack that worked some what with Vista Ult but when I installed Windows & it will not see the jack at all.

Collapse -
MJ Experiencing Growing Pains? Anyone Tried to Send a Fax?
by Amovernshaker / May 25, 2008 7:29 PM PDT

If power to the connection is not enough, it will cause speakerphones not to work. I experienced this using Vonage a couple of times. I know it's not your electricity, highly doubt it's you modem, so the connection must either need to be tweeked or its a defective plug-in jack. From what I've read in the past, MJ does not have the ability to make electronic adjustments on their system. You must send the jack back for replacement or refund.

Collapse -
Fax yes, but as a business phone line, no.
by papaschom / March 13, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

I have been able to fax, but sometimes it takes a few tries. Poor line condition is the error. This could be because I often experience times of "dead air". I will be talking or listening and it goes quite on both sides. Occasionally, the dead air turns into a disconnected call and I have to unplug and re-insert the MJ.

Because of all this I would not recommend it as a serious alternative for a business line. This is a bummer for me because I am on lots of conference calls, some overseas and this would be a great solution for working from home.

Overall, for the low annual cost, good line quality, and voicemail, it is worth keeping as a back up line and is okay for faxing if you are not in a hurry.

pS

Collapse -
RUN MAGICJACK AS WINDOWS SERVICE
by antoinefinch / July 15, 2008 11:39 AM PDT

RUN MAGICJACK as a windows "SERVICE"

Run MJ as a Service no more pop up or logging in to magicjack.

Learn to use the 'Services' young Jedi, they are powerful and control much of WindowsXP. Without mastering the 'Services', you'll be forced to run programs in the system tray for all eternity!! -MikeD.

Found out how to run MJ as a "Service" at http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org/?sid=e90663f644a7800835e3c36ac1242db5

magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks

Running MJ as a Service Improves MJ by 100% no more problems with popups or getting no dial tone .Makes MJ run in the back ground,so you dont even notice it. and save your PC Resources.

What's a Service?

A Windows service is an 'always on' application that is constantly running in the background of your system. These applications are loaded at startup with an executable file or started when needed, and do not have a user interface or require a user to run them. They allow Windows XP to perform functions that require constant management or access without forcing the user to run a specific program or command. PCSTATS/MikeD.

complete article to explain why its better to run apps as a service especially MJ
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1759

For VISTA Users
http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html

Collapse -
Tool to make MagicJack run as a Windows service
by etvaugha / January 4, 2010 10:32 AM PST
Collapse -
MagicJack Popup Blocker
by jeffhansen / July 22, 2008 11:50 AM PDT

Hi All,

I've been using magicJack for a few months and love it too. It's a great bargain and alternative to Vonage and Skype.

Though I like the service, the pop-up window gets a little distracting.

Being a programmer, I built a tiny utility that keeps the pop-up window hidden when I don't want to see it, and also show it when I do want to see it.

It's freeware and available here at CNET/Download.com:
http://www.download.com/MagicBlock/3000-2349_4-10838528.html?cdlPid=10843178

Hope this helps other folks who've ran into this minor annoyance too.

All the best,
Jeff

Collapse -
magicjack
by perkadoo / August 26, 2008 1:06 PM PDT

Can you give me the steps to set up my magicjack.I can not see to well and cannot get my magicjack to work. I have tried to get it to work but I can not get a dial tone. I have tried to get help from the tech people but they dont seem to want to help an old woman who cannot grasp what they are talking about. Can you help me???

prettyperk@msn.com
Norma Clay

Collapse -
MagicJack Popup
by Greenlyzerd / September 8, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

Under windows xp I created two user accounts. One to start magicjack, then switch to second account for regular use. You never see the popups.

Collapse -
windows 7
by john0donnell / February 4, 2010 2:23 AM PST

will the utility work on windows 7? If not, is there a way to make it work?

Collapse -
beeping majicjack
by rscdaytona / November 3, 2009 4:28 PM PST

I I have a update majicjack sent me i could send it to you. I do not know if it will fix your problem but it worked for my beeping problem.

Collapse -
magicJack
by gordonstillhere / August 24, 2010 10:02 PM PDT

Please do not ask me what I think of this item. I purchased two so we could keep in touch with our daughter, and since then, my life has become a "living HELL". As an example, yesterday one of my units made over 34 "unsolicited calls" and it WASN'T EVEN PLUGGED IN!!!!!.
I have chatted with their service people on far too many occasions, only to be put on "hold" and then disconnected. I cannot get ANY help from them, cannot call their head office to be honest, would NOT recommend this item to my worst enemy. Another useless electronic gadget.
regretfully
Gordon Muma
Canada (currently in Italy)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?