Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Magazine names worst song ever written

by Josh K / April 21, 2004 5:41 AM PDT
What's the worst song of all time?

NEW YORK (AP) -- Starship may have built this city on rock and roll, but Blender magazine is tearing it down, naming the band's "We Built This City" as the worst song ever.

While I strongly disagree with a few of their choices (Simon & Garfunkel? The Beatles?), "We Built This City" is undeniably awful all right. Whether it's as bad as "Feelings," which this magazine seems to have left off its list, is debatable but it is truly a horrible song. Even Grace Slick has tried to distance herself from it according to comments attributed to her in the article.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Magazine names worst song ever written
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Magazine names worst song ever written
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Magazine names worst song ever written
by Mary Kay / April 21, 2004 5:56 AM PDT

I like everything Simon and Garfunkle did. I can't believe he'd leave off "There's a Tear in my Beer" & "Mare's Eat oats".And I'm sure many more. It's all relevant and personel

Collapse -
No Way...
by Pat S / April 21, 2004 6:28 AM PDT

I can't read the link here at work but while "We Built this City" is no "1812 Overture" it at least has a melody. Unlike anything from 50 cent. Today's music is just yelling and noise (sounding like my parents here:) ) Can you imagine 40 some years from now listening to Classic Rap on the radio? I have the perfect call letters for the station K-RAP.:^O

Collapse -
Re:No Way...
by Rolway / April 21, 2004 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: No Way...

Right on Patrick... "K-RAP". Cool And My favorite song will be "Their Coming to Take me away, Ho, Ho, He, He, Ha, Ha." :^O Johnny Paycheck, I think.

George

Collapse -
Tip Toe through the Tulips...
by Pat S / April 21, 2004 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:No Way...

Sung by Tiny Tim - I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred - or ANYTHING sung by William Hung. Are they talking lyrics and melody or performance in the link?:p

Collapse -
Re:Tip Toe through the Tulips...
by Rolway / April 21, 2004 7:40 AM PDT

Oh yeah. Tiny Tim. Geeeze what a mess he was. Damn, everytime I saw him on TV, I wanted to throw up. And that voice, crack a mirror. Well, I like good olde Country music so I'm not much of a judge on this Hip Hop, Rip & rap, maniac screeching stuff.

George

Collapse -
Re:Re:No Way...
by Josh K / April 21, 2004 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:No Way...

"They're Coming to Take Me Away" was by a guy who called himself Napoleon IV. I love that song, LOL. I don't think novelty records should really be considered when compiling a list like this.

Another omission from the list - "Lovin' You" by Minnie Ripperton. Yeeeech. And when she hits that high note, it's like steel spikes being driven through your skull.

Collapse -
Re:But if you want any glass broken....:-)........nt
by Mary Kay / April 21, 2004 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:No Way...

Collapse -
I love that song.
by Dan McC / April 22, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

Josh, you have no heart. Sorry.

Dan

Collapse -
I have a heart. I also have ears.
by Josh K / April 22, 2004 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I love that song.
Cool
Collapse -
They're Coming to Take Me Away 45 RPM, Josh...
by J. Vega / April 23, 2004 9:59 AM PDT

Josh, remember the flip side of that 45RPM record? I've still got mine somewhere in all my junk. Not only was the label an exact mirror image, but the track was the song in reverse. That might make a good question for a game show, I don't rememember any other record doing that (but I could be wrong).

Collapse -
After reading the opinions of various worse songs
by Roger NC / April 22, 2004 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: No Way...

I'd agree.

None of the others IMO are as bad as most of what I hear boom, boom, boom......

At the stoplight, in parking lots, heck at post office other day, no one even in car, stereo left pumping out recitation of foul language and insulting phrases while someone was waiting in line inside. I was actually hoping it would kill the battery to where the care wouldn't start.

I know, unfair, rude, and mean. But sheeshhhhhhhh.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:After reading the opinions of various worse songs
by Josh K / April 22, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

I get insulted as a music lover but I also try to imagine walking down the street with my little girl while someone's car audio system is blasting out "lyrics" about hoes, ******* and "my ******" and trying to explain it to her.

Sad

Collapse -
One wishes for a 357 through the amplifier,
by Kiddpeat / April 24, 2004 1:25 PM PDT

or a 12 gauge through the speakers.

Collapse -
Gotta be 'Memories' from *shudder* 'Cats'. -nt
by Dan McC / April 22, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re:Magazine names worst song ever written
by Dwightster / April 22, 2004 1:38 AM PDT

oh gawd!! I actually love WBTC!! lmbo Agree with you on the Ripperton tune, Josh, egads!

Collapse -
I take exception to the Toby Keith song being on that list ...
by Evie / April 22, 2004 9:24 PM PDT

... that's a great song. A little tortured for rhymes in parts. I can think of a whole lot of Madonna songs that could take it's place!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re:worst songs ever written? psychokiller by talking heads
by jonah jones / April 22, 2004 9:36 PM PDT

# nine by the beatles
and fred walking sticks' version of "well i ask you"

Collapse -
I wonder...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / April 22, 2004 10:03 PM PDT

Why haven't they included just about every single song by Britney Spears, BSB or NSYNC?

Collapse -
Re:I wonder...
by Josh K / April 22, 2004 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: I wonder...

I think that in order to qualify, the songs had to have been written by human beings as opposed to a computer. I'd count everything by those people as one song anyway. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / April 23, 2004 7:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:I wonder...
Collapse -
I won't click the link but.....
by Josh K / April 23, 2004 10:28 PM PDT

....you never know. Some of those songs might be OK musically but just have offensive lyrics.

Collapse -
Re:and you won't delete it either?
by jonah jones / April 23, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

well done josh, a true blue liberal....

Collapse -
No, because I am not a moderator in this forum
by Josh K / April 24, 2004 10:56 PM PDT

The only things I'll delete from this forum are duplicate posts and SPAM. Anything else and you should hit the "snitch" link so the forum mods can decide what to do about it.

Collapse -
I understand what you mean Josh. But I don't care...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / April 23, 2004 10:50 PM PDT

if the music is OK in this case. The lyrics stand out and that catergory and must be considered as the worst songs ever made!

Collapse -
Anything by Celine Dion
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / April 22, 2004 11:38 PM PDT

or Barry Manilow - although I do like the "Copa Cabana" song (guiltily).

Rick

Collapse -
I really cannot understand your dislike of Celine Dion Richard - a fantastic singer NT
by SteveGargini / April 23, 2004 3:37 AM PDT

NT

Collapse -
ROFL! VOTE! Oh wait, it's not Wednesday, you really meant that.

Were you pounding your fist into your chest during your eleventh farewell concert as you wrote it?

:^O

Collapse -
Sorry Steve

All a matter of taste. I guess it's more her "genre" that I dislike than her particularly.

Rick

Collapse -
She reminds me of...
by James Denison / April 23, 2004 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Steve

...every snooty teacher's pet that just couldn't wait for a chance to "tell the teacher" on someone for whatever infraction. She may be the nicest person on earth, maybe she reminds me of someone from elementary school days, but like you, I get that feeling you wouldn't want to trust her too far.

Collapse -
Re:She reminds me of...
by Dan McC / April 23, 2004 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: She reminds me of...

Getting flashback of third grade, James?

I remember the nuns...the horror...the horror...

*shudder*

Wink

Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.