Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Macromedia Flash doesn't work after multiple reloads.

by fermier / October 20, 2006 11:55 AM PDT

I am re-entering my problem with getting Flash to work on my PC. Someone named "Tufenuf" was trying to help me but I've been abandoned. Here's the problem.

I have problems getting flash to work on most, but not all, web sites. Simple stuff displayed but complex stuff didn't. I get a screen telling me to download Flash player. I was using IE 6, and I could not get it to work on the BBC magazine web site and on CNET. I went to the Macromedia web site and followed their instructions to reload my browser. So, first I used the Flash removal tool one last time and rebooted. I then downloaded and installed IE 7 (version 7.0.5700.6). I went to the Macromedia web site and installed the latest version of the Flash player. The rotating sign tells me that it has been installed. I have version 9, 0, 16, 0. But I still have the same problem. On some sites, flash works, but on the BBC Magazine web site and CNET, I get the message that I have to install the latest version of Flash. So I went back to the Macromedia web site for more ?help.?

I re-downloaded the "uninstall_flash_player" uninstaller (version 3.0.0.20) and placed it on my desktop. I rebooted in SAFE MODE and then ran the uninstaller, twice! Each time it told me that I had successfully uninstalled Flash player. I rebooted and went to Adobe to download/install the latest version (9,0,16,0). The install went ok, as I got the flash screen and the version number of the program. I then rebooted again.

And, I still have the same problem!

Does anyone have an idea about just what is going wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macromedia Flash doesn't work after multiple reloads.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macromedia Flash doesn't work after multiple reloads.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by PudgyOne / October 20, 2006 2:21 PM PDT

Go to

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/index.asp

Do you see the top banner and the moving pictures?

If so, they are done with Macromedia Flash Player 7.

No go to and see if you can click play. It uses Shockwave flash player. Shockwave Flash player items take longer to load. Please be patient.

http://www.disney.go.com/disneychannel/originalmovies/games/cadetkellyobstaclecourse.html

If all these items work, then you have both the Macromedia Flash Player and the Macromedia Shockwave player working. The Flash Player and the Shockwave Player are two different items.

Then the next question is, What website were you trying to view?

They all work for me and I am using Mozilla Firefox with Windows ME.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
So now I have a shockwave problem?!?
by fermier / October 21, 2006 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Hi Rick! Thanks for the speedy reply.

I followed your directions and here are the results.

At the Hershey web site I saw the animations at the top of the screen. So I guess that my Flash 7.0 plugin is working, right?

Next I went to the Disney web site. I never got to a screen where I could click play. Instead I got the following message.

"Software Detect Recommendations

News! Our tests show that you already have the appropriate browser and plug-ins to enjoy the features and fun of the Walt Disney Internet Group family of sites.

Just a note: If you do find that you have problems viewing our home page, you might want to check your browser version and plug-in on your own. If your browser is older than Internet Explorer 5 or Netscape 7, or you do not have the latest version of Flash, you will need to upgrade in order to enjoy our sites."

And the web browser just hands there. I let it sit for 5 minutes and nothing changed. I hit reload and again, got the above message. Here is a link to the screen I was at...

http://disney.go.com/home/html/index.html?shockwave=true

Does this mean my problem is not with Flash but with shockwave?

Here are links to the two web sites that I frequent and that have stopped working for me.

First stop, the BBC News weekly quiz of the weeks news.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6069228.stm

The quiz is also called 7 days 7 questions.

The second stop is at CNET! I can not view ANY of the videos that they have on their web site. Like this one, for instance.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_LN_S3251D/4505-6482_7-31787622.html

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Rex

Collapse -
Sorry I didn't get back sooner
by PudgyOne / October 21, 2006 1:41 PM PDT

my wife had a honey do list for me. My weekend off.

First for the shockwave problem.

Go to

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi

and download the Shockwave Player. Then follow the instructions.

As for the BBC. It uses a combination of Flash Player and Javascript. You need to have javascript enabled to get the information for the Flash Player. Some websites allow for this and some don't.

To fix the javascript problem, will need to know which Windows you are using and which browser you are using.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Javascript settings
by PudgyOne / October 21, 2006 9:16 PM PDT

Microsoft Internet Explorer 4+:

* Select ''View'' from the browser Menu bar
* Select ''Internet Options''
* Select ''Security'' tab
* Select ''Custom (for expert users)'' security level and select the ''Settings'' button
* Locate ''Scripting'' and verify that ''Active Scripting'' is enabled
* Locate ''Cookies'' and verify that ''Allow per-session cookies (not stored)'' is enabled
* Select the ''OK'' button on the ''Security'' window
* Select the ''OK'' button on the ''Internet Options'' window

See what you got.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Still no luck. Bummer dude!
by fermier / October 22, 2006 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Javascript settings

Hi Rick,

I appreciate your trying to help me with my problem. I'm sure that its as frustrating for you as it is for me. Here's what I've accomplished since your last two message.

First, I went to the link you posted and installed the shockwave player. I was able to see the video in the banner after it was installed. I tried out the BBC and CNET web sites, but still no luck. I get the same messages as before.

You asked about my system, so here it is.
I am running Windows XP service pack 2
I have upgraded to IE 7.

I next tried to follow your instructions on Javascript settings.
I was able to locate the ''Internet Options'' section in IE7 and I was able to locate and verify that ''Active Scripting'' was enabled. I could not find ''Cookies'' anywhere, so I didn't make that change. Microsoft must have moved that selection when they issued IE7. I saved my changes and exited the browser.
I then rebooted and tried the web sites. Again, nothing happened.

One thing I noticed when I was in the Settings area of the ''security'' tab was the follwing. Under the heading ''Activex Controls and Plugins'' there was a selection titled ''Display video and animation on a web page that does not use external media player'' and it was set to ''Disable.'' After I tried all of your instructed changes I went back and changed the setting on this field to ''enabled.'' I saved my changes and exited the browser. I tried to go to the BBC and CNET web sites and there was no change. I still couldn't see the video/animations and I had the same error messages.

Since the last change I made didn't fix the problem, I went back and re-set the selection to ''Disabled'' for the ''Display video and animation on a web page that does not use external media player'' field.

What shall we try next?

Collapse -
Re: Still no luck. Bummer dude!
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

fermier, Sorry to see that you're still having this problem. Go to the link below and see if your browser is both JavaScript ENABLED and Java Applet Enabled and post back with the results.

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Java Script enabled
by fermier / October 22, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

I went to the web address you posted and here's the results.

For the first test I was able to see a static line of text that stated: "YES!...If you can read this you are Java Script enabled." There was no movement or animation of the words.

Below this was a scrolling animated text sine wave with the words "If you see this, you are fully Java enabled."

Hmmm. This does seem to be a puzzler!

Rex

Collapse -
Re: Java Script enabled
by Tufenuf / October 22, 2006 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Java Script enabled

Rex, Well it looks like your browser indeed passed both Java Tests. I wish I had a solution but I'm totally stumped. I hope someone comes up with a solution for you.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Using IE7
by PudgyOne / October 22, 2006 4:30 AM PDT

I cannot get to the website that Tufenuf posted. ActiveX is used and Windows will NOT allow me to download the ActiveX because it cannot verify the publisher. Unknown publisher.

The step I use all the time is that I use Mozilla Firefox.

It can be downloaded at

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

It has many extentions and you can make it look and work the way you want it to.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
RE: Using IE7
by fermier / October 22, 2006 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Using IE7

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was hoping that I would be able to get IE7 to work.

Could there be a switch, or something, that tells web sites that I don't have Flash, when in fact I do? Maybe something from a previous version of Flash that didn't get deleted after I upgraded to the latest flash?

Rex

Collapse -
To uninstall Flash Player
by PudgyOne / October 22, 2006 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Using IE7
Collapse -
The Problem is IE7
by dufachi / November 2, 2006 4:08 AM PST

The problem is IE7 and Adobe. Ever since I installed IE7 all Flash based websites requiring Version 8 or higher fail to recognize the installation.

They work fine with all other browsers. So, it's either something MS broke, or the JavaScript that calls the Flash player versioning.

Collapse -
Thank You!
by fermier / November 3, 2006 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: The Problem is IE7

Thank you very much for reporting that you also have this problem. I was beginning to think that it was just me (or just my computer)! I haven't given up and switched to Firefox or some other browser because I want to fix this problem, not run away from it. Please let me know if you find a fix for this problem.

Collapse -
Can you give us
by PudgyOne / November 3, 2006 5:22 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You!

a URL of the website that your Flash player is not working on, so we can try it for ourselves.

Rick

Collapse -
Web sites where I can't get flash to work on my browser
by fermier / November 3, 2006 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: Can you give us

Here are just two of the web sites where I can't get the flash programs to work.

(I first listed these sites in my October 21st posting.)

Here are links to the two web sites that I frequent and that have stopped working for me.

First stop, the BBC News weekly quiz of the weeks news.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6069228.stm

The quiz is also called 7 days 7 questions.

The second stop is at CNET! I can not view ANY of the videos that they have on their web site. Like this one, for instance.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_LN_S3251D/4505-6482_7-31787622.html

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Rex posting.)

Collapse -
Ok in my IE7...
by Owyn / November 4, 2006 8:42 PM PST

Just tested. Both links worked.

Only problem is that apparently I do not read enough pop culture and UK news, I failed the news quiz miserably.

Collapse -
The quiz is also called 7 days 7 questions
by PudgyOne / November 4, 2006 10:12 PM PST

uses JavaScript and Flash player. It worked for me using Internet Explorer 7

It also worked for me using Mozilla Firefox. I have the extention NoScript so I had to allow scripting for this to work.

The CNET Video worked for me also. I had no trouble with any of them. Using Mozilla Firefox, allow cnet.con and allow i.com.com

I would still look at the JavaScript part of it.

Go to Internet options

my security is on medium-high

privacy is on medium.

Also, I have a program called Spyware Blaster. I have it set to disable and block Macromedia Player(now Adobe Flash Player) in Internet Explorer. I had to unblock it to get it to work.

Maybe you are using something that blocks the flash player and/or is not allowing JavaScript.

Are you using Norton or some other type of security?

Maybe even a firewall setting.

Rick

Collapse -
How I finally fixed my problem with flash.
by fermier / April 8, 2007 5:01 AM PDT

It has been a while since I first reported my problems with flash. I decided to live without it but fate stepped in and fixed the problem. What I did was download and install Quicktime. I had removed the Quicktime program some time ago since I rarely used it and I needed the space on my hard drive. Receintly, I needed it to view a video file and so I went to Apple.com and downloaded the program with all of it's updates. I was abale to view the video file, but about a week later I was on the BBC web site and BINGO, the flash animation that had been giving so much grief was working again!
I do not know what the link is between Flash and Quicktime, but now that I have Quicktime, Flash works EVERYWHERE!
So, give this a try.
I hope it works for you!.

Collapse -
flash and IE7
by panama43 / December 22, 2006 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Can you give us
Collapse -
Same issue here as well
by aspire2excel / May 18, 2007 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You!

I have tried every fix suggested by Adobe and by this forum, but I am still get the message that says I need to install flash when I go to websites such as disney.com or comedycentral.com.

The adobe website says that flash is installed. version 9.0.45.0 I'm using IE7 and XP SP2.

Collapse -
We are having difficulty with any file with a .swf or .asp
by jaknig3 / November 4, 2006 9:05 PM PST

I followed PudgyOne's ideas below, changing security and cookie settings. No help.

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to download the most current version of Flash Player.

The Hersheypark link netted a bunch of boxes on the page with the dreaded red x. Nothing worked. Same with Disney.

My wife wants me to solve this problem, because most of her e-mail links do not work.

Can anyone out there give us some HOPE?

jaknig3

Collapse -
I would still look at the JavaScript part of it
by PudgyOne / November 4, 2006 10:23 PM PST

I would still look at the JavaScript part of it.

Go to Internet options

my security is on medium-high

privacy is on medium.

Also, I have a program called Spyware Blaster. I have it set to disable and block Macromedia Player(now Adobe Flash Player) in Internet Explorer. I had to unblock it to get it to work.

Maybe you are using something that blocks the flash player and/or is not allowing JavaScript.

Are you using Norton or some other type of security?

Maybe even a firewall setting.

I use Mozilla Firefox for all my Internet Browsing. You can customize it to look the way you want it and it has extentions so you can make it do what you want it to, even give you the weather.

It can be downloaded at

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Then go here and get the plug-ins

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/

Make it look pretty

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/themes/

make it do what you want it to

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/

This isn't the solution to the problem that you are having but, in my honest opinion, this browser is safer to use than Internet Explorer is.

Rick

Collapse -
Shockwave Installation
by cowshill / December 16, 2006 5:59 PM PST

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but is it possible your Shockwave installation is not complete? After installing the .exe file, a Shockwave web page will automatically be opened and will display a form asking for your age and allowing registration. You must complete this form in order for your installation to complete and be functional. If you just close the page without completing the form, as I did the first time, Shockwave will not work. Solution: unintstall shockwave and then reinstall and complete the form.
- Jim Bowen

Collapse -
You may need to download flashplayer9 debugger
by indigoaven / December 19, 2006 3:11 PM PST

Go to Adobe's support or type in the search bar flash debugger. They have a download for Window's XP. I did this and now when a website say's to download flash, instead of uninstalling etc. I use the debugger 9 exe. from my download manager. Just reinstall the debugger and flashplayer 9 works. You will have to do this until their is a fix. I use it for IE7 and it's been alot easier to fix.
Hope this helps, unless you solved your own problem.

techreader

Collapse -
I found a solution

I was having this EXACT same problem. What I did to resolve my issue:

Go into Tools > Manage Add-Ons > Enable or Disable Add-Ons... > Show: Add-ons that run without requiring permission
Choose the Java Plug-in, disable it, then enable it
Choose the Shockwave Flash plug-in, disable it, then enable it

[-------------------------------------------------]

Install Adobe Shockwave
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/

Go into Tools > Internet Options > Security tab > Custom Level
Display video and animation on a webpage that does not use external media player
>> Enable

Java VM > Java permissions
>> Medium safety

Scripting > Active scripting
>> Enable (probably already enabled though)

Install Adobe Flash Player 9
http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

Restart Internet Explorer 7

These exact steps worked for me and will hopefully work for you too!

Collapse -
Flash Player
by panama43 / December 24, 2006 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: I found a solution

Thank you for giving me such detailed instructions. I tried everything you did, but it didn't work. However, I finally got it by doing the following:
I copied the flash player files from Firefox plugins (it works with Firefox), then pasted them into IE. Then I double clicked on the file named NPSWF32_FlashUtil. A screen came up for completing the installation. When I did this and rebooted, Flash worked on IE7.

Collapse -
Thank You panama43
by Huggybaby / January 20, 2007 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Flash Player

Thank you panama43!! I too have been struggling with this frustrating problem ever since I "upgraded" to IE7. I am no computer newbie either.

I've tried reinstalling, uninstalling, changing settings, ALL OF IT a million times.

Finally, copying NPSWF32_FlashUtil from the Firefox plugins folder to the IE7 plugins folder and running it fixed the problem.

Why doesn't Microsoft or Macromedia fix the problem? Why isn't the solution easier to find? Why does the problem exist in the first place? I don't know!

Thanks again, and Hallelujah for this brilliantly simple fix!

Collapse -
Flash player and IE7
by panama43 / January 20, 2007 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You panama43

I'm glad that worked for you. If it suddenly quits working (this has happened about 3 times to me), just go back to the same file in the plug-in and double click it again. It will reinstall and work immediately without rebooting.

Collapse -
Opera and Shockwave don't mix either
by Huggybaby / January 20, 2007 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Flash player and IE7

Very good, thanks.

BTW, I was unable to get shockwave to work in Opera, tried manually moving files, etc.

I found that only one of several fixes proposed at the Opera forums worked, and it involved adding registry entries to get the installer to recognize Opera as Netscape, and using (again) the full installer. Thank goodness the link to the registry entries download was still valid.

It's clear now that both the Shockwave and Flash installers barely work, which puts the onus squarely on Adobe, not the browser makers.

Anybody who has been to the Adobe site knows the confusion over there. Very frustrating for something that should be plug and play.

Collapse -
NPSWF32_FlashUtil
by danebuser / March 26, 2007 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You panama43

I too have this problem with IE7. I'll try all these steps, but how would I find the file NPSWF32_FlashUtil. Do I have to download it. Thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!