Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

macromedia flash and shockwave

by suzanne777 / May 29, 2005 11:11 PM PDT

Each time a website requires either of these plug-ins, I am told that I do not have either of them and I need to download them to continue. I do have both of them. It just started to happen one day. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: macromedia flash and shockwave
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: macromedia flash and shockwave
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Macromedia Flash and Shockwave
by Themisive / May 29, 2005 11:29 PM PDT

This can happen, if you've got the programmes, but they have been superceded by newer updates, you'll get this message. Go to the sites to get the official downloads though (that's so you don't get malware instead), and you should be ok.

Collapse -
flash and shockwave
by suzanne777 / May 30, 2005 10:19 AM PDT

Thanks. I have downloaded the latest versions numerous times. I have tried removing them, then downloading again, "successfully installed" so they say and still they are there but do not work. I can go to a website that tests for them and they test okay. I am stumped as what to try next.

Collapse -
suzanne777, is it just one
by roddy32 / May 30, 2005 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: flash and shockwave

particular website that you are having trouble with or all of them that require flash? If it is just one website, maybe it is them that are having a problem. If that is the case, if you could provide a link someone else could try it. Also, have you tried it with a different browser? I don't remember you saying which one you are using. You could also try this website which requires flash and see if it works.
http://www.tvguide.com/listings/index.asp?

Collapse -
flash
by suzanne777 / May 30, 2005 9:06 PM PDT

It is all the sites that require flash. I use internet explorer. some of the site that no longer work are www.postopia.com www.nickjr.com www.vw.com www.20-20photo.com All of these sites worked and then one day they all said I need to get flash. Thanks

Collapse -
See if this link helps you at all Suzanne
by roddy32 / May 30, 2005 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: flash
Collapse -
flash
by suzanne777 / May 30, 2005 9:44 PM PDT

I have tried that too. Didn't work. Now, I am told I do not have realplayer and windows media player by a site. What is going on? Is there something that is turning these things off and not letting websites recognize that I do have them? Thanks

Collapse -
If it was recently that all this
by roddy32 / May 30, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

started happening, you could try system restore back to when it was all working.

Collapse -
In addition to Roddy's good advice,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 31, 2005 12:36 AM PDT

I have just been to www.postopia.com and www.nickjr.com to check, and they work ok on both IE and Firefox, (a different browser), on my computer.

So it doesn't seem to be the sites themselves, and as they are reputable young children's games sites, (Nick Jnr is a large site and a tv channel), I wouldn't expect them to have any rogue flash or macromedia software.

So, if you have tried Rod's advice but still have problems, I wonder if your Internet Explorer settings have changed recently.

Have you made any changes to your computer in the last few days/weeks? eg, downloaded and installed XP SP2, or upgraded IE?

If so, those upgrades may have changed the security settings.

On my IE, when I went to both sites, a warning popped up asking if I wanted to allow ActiveX and plugins. As Shockwave and Macromedia are plugins, if your IE security settings are set to automatically disable plugins without asking, then this may be the problem.

Try this;

In Internet Explorer, goto Tools > Internet Options. Under the Security tab, click the green globe, then click the ''Custom'' button. Under Settings. Make sure;

1] ''Run ActiveX controls and plugins'' is set to Prompt.
2] ''Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting'' is set to Enable.
3] ''Java permissions'' is set to Medium safety.
4] ''Active scripting'' is Enabled.
5] ''Scripting of Java applets'' is Enabled.
Click OK, then ''Apply''. Do not click OK out of Internet Options.

Then, click the ''Advanced'' tab, and make sure;

1] If you have Java, ''Java (Sun) - Use Java'' is ticked, (there will be a version number after ''Use java'', depending what version you are using).
2] If you are not using Java, under Microsoft VM, tick each of the 3 boxes. I recommend you download and install Java, and disable Microsoft VM at some stage.
3] Under ''Multimedia'', make sure each box is ticked.
click Apply, then OK. You may have to restart the browser for some settings to take effect.

I hope this helps some. If not, come back and we will see what else can be done.

Mark

Collapse -
flash
by suzanne777 / May 31, 2005 3:51 AM PDT

Thanks for our help. I did do all the things you mentioned and still did not work. I then downloaded firefox and I have flash and the webistes now work. Something is definately messed up with my ie settings.

I added the flash plugin and realplayer to firefox. Do I have to add quick time, windows media player, adobe and java?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Only if you need them. You will probably
by roddy32 / May 31, 2005 4:32 AM PDT

need the Java. The others you will only need if you happen to use them while you are surfing with Firefox.

Collapse -
Thank you
by suzanne777 / May 31, 2005 5:53 AM PDT

I never thought to just get another browser. I have downloaded the other plugins as they were needed.

Thanks again for your help!

Collapse -
You're welcome but I hope you
by roddy32 / May 31, 2005 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

get the other problem sorted. You will still need IE for Windows Updates.

Collapse -
Re: macromedia flash and shockwave
by rogerthai / May 30, 2005 11:35 AM PDT

You will find some of these websites want you to download their flash and shockwave players because they have snoopware enclosed in the programs so that they can access files on your computer. It does not matter if you have the newest and best flash and shockwave players on your computer, they want you to use theirs. And Guess Why... I would steer away from these unscrupulous websites.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?