General discussion

MacOS 10.6.3 Update and 2006 iMac

Although I successfully applied the 10.6.3 update on a late 2009 iMac and a 2008 PowerBook Pro, Application on a 2006 iMac caused the computer to hang up on reboot (just the gray apple and spinning wheel showing). I reformatted the internal hard drive, cloned it from my back-up clone for that machine, and tried it a second time with the same result. (I had repaired permissions and reset PRAM before the second application). HAs anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: MacOS 10.6.3 Update and 2006 iMac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MacOS 10.6.3 Update and 2006 iMac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) No problems here with a 2008 iMac
- Collapse -
freezing problem with 2006 iMac

I have also had a problem with my iMac freezing, during Safari and also MSWord.

- Collapse -
Hope it was a combo update

and not an incremental one through Software Update. The latter does not work all the time.

- Collapse -
Re: Hope it was a Combo update

You may have hit on the problem but I wont know until I get back on the machine in a few days. As you feared, the approach I used was via Software Update (since it had worked successfully on two other computers).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Gary

- Collapse -
iMac & update

I am running into a similar "hang" problem. I also have a 2006 iMac, with 2 GB of ram, running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Ever since the major combo software update, I am having frequent freezes using Safari especially when I try to use the bar on the right to move a page. Sometimes there isn't even a bar on the rightside to move. In the 4 years I have had this iMac, this is the first time I have started to have freezes. I ran the disk utility program, it found no problems. I ran the full latest version of Tech Tool Pro, it found no problems.

- Collapse -
trash Safari prefs

This might help. How about other browsers?

- Collapse -
Combo Update Did Not Work

After reverting to a backed-up clone of my hard drive, I tried downloading and installing the Combo Update (rather than using Software Update) and got the same results. Although the indication was that the update was successful, upon restart I get the gray screen with the gray apple and the spinning wheel that makes it look like it is going to start up but the wheel just keeps on spinning and never ends.

- Collapse -
Combot Update did not Work

I updated an April 2006 MacBook Pro using a combo update for 10.6.3 without problems. Something to think about.

Is your Hard drive OK? Disk Utility "verify disk" should tell you if there are problems or you might use something like DiskWarrior to check it out. Drive Genius will also do a good job of checking out the hard drive.

Jay

- Collapse -
Problem Resolved

Not sure why but I reinstalled MacOSX (10.6) from the DVD and then did a combo update to 10.6.2 and then an update to 10.6.3. That may have been the long way around but it worked.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

CNET Forums

Forum Info