Mac OS forum

General discussion

Macbook will not recognise Pixma IP4600 printer

by tony_ponty / April 16, 2010 5:59 PM PDT

I've installed the printer with no problems but the Mac does not list it.
Help please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook will not recognise Pixma IP4600 printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook will not recognise Pixma IP4600 printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers from the manufacturer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 10:44 PM PDT

Do they support the OS version that you are using, whatever that is?

Just because the CD came with the printer, does not mean that the driver on the CD will work with your version of the OS.

More details please

P

Collapse -
A fact of life
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2010 1:44 AM PDT

A fact of life lesson people learn when they use a non-Windows OS for the first time, is that not every piece of junk electronic accessory sold will work. Printers being one of the most common things people have a problem to get working.

Makers of cheap electronics usually don't spend a lot of time on drivers. Driver development is like a big black hole for money. They'll get something that works more than it doesn't, and call it good enough. Usually they only make Windows drivers, because Windows users are largely idiots. Not that Mac users can't be idiots, it's just there's a bigger pool of idiots using Windows. So if you have a pool of 10,000 idiots who may buy your worthless product, or a pool of 1,000 idiots... If you figure only 5% of people are actually going to buy your product, would you rather have 5% of 10,000 or 1,000?

I mention all this, because for a couple of reasons. A) I see no mention of you installing any drivers or anything for the printer, B) so that you're not surprised by this sort of thing in the future, and C) so you hopefully learn something for the future.

Simply connecting the printer isn't enough, what else have you done? Be explicit, be verbose, we'll filter out what's useless info.

Collapse -
printer issues
by macman447 / April 17, 2010 10:51 AM PDT

Hey Well if you have 10.5 or 10.6 your best option here is to not worry about any disk that may have come with the printer.
Plug the printer directly into the computer (just incase you were using wireless or through a hub) run software updates. The last 2 OS versions are really good at pulling down drivers. If this doesnt work (which would shock me) I would manually add it from printer preferences. Just hit the + button in there it should recognize it. hope this helps

Collapse -
by tony_ponty / April 17, 2010 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: printer issues

Ran software update. Went to System Preferences, Print and and Fax -no printer listed. If I press +, nothing happens. All this with the printer connected by USB.

Collapse -
Printer not recognised
by emshepherd / April 17, 2010 7:59 PM PDT

This may be stating the obvious but the printer is connected to the mains and switched on?

Collapse -
by tony_ponty / April 17, 2010 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Printer not recognised

Yes.The printer is connected to the mains and switched on

Collapse -
If the + is unresponsive,
by macnerd10 / April 18, 2010 5:17 AM PDT

I would trash print and fax preferences (your user folder>library>preferences and relaunch the print and fax prefpane. Just in case, make sure your USB cable is OK. I would also try another USB port just in case.

Collapse -
Printer not recognised
by tony_ponty / April 18, 2010 3:20 PM PDT

I would trash print and fax preferences (your user folder>library>preferences and relaunch the print and fax prefpane.

Can you explain in more detail how I achieve the above?
Thanks

Collapse -
Before doing that
by Jimmy Greystone / April 19, 2010 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer not recognised

Before doing that, why not explain in very explicit detail what exactly you have done from the first time you tried setting this printer up until now?

I have a feeling others here are leading you around on a (well intentioned) wild goose chase. So, before doing something that could have some unwanted side effects, why not take a step back and review everything you've done so that we're not working off of assumptions?

Collapse -
not wild goose chase
by macman447 / April 19, 2010 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Before doing that

i work for apple these are standard trouble shooting steps

Collapse -
Except
by Jimmy Greystone / April 20, 2010 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: not wild goose chase

Except that everyone appears to have skipped right over the fact that at no point has the OP said anything about installing a set of drivers from a CD supplied with the printer, or downloading them from the website of the manufacturer. At this point, we haven't even established for certain that this printer will work with OS X at all.

I work for an AASP, admin the GSX account for the AASP, and am an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician. I likely have all the same training as you, and then some, because I have to actually perform the hardware repairs after I diagnose them. You're not going to impress me just because you work at some call center Apple contracts with, especially when you make some pretty classic support blunders.

Collapse -
Drivers
by tony_ponty / April 20, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Except

I installed from a CD supplied with the printer. The printer will work on my PC but not on the Macbook. On the mac I downloaded drivers from Canon's website which seemed to be successful.

Collapse -
aasp
by macman447 / April 21, 2010 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Except

well if you work there than you should know that if you check on the site Kbase has a public list of compatible printer which this printer is on and is compatible like 99 percent of printers are compatible. But good show

Collapse -
That's on the user
by Jimmy Greystone / April 21, 2010 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: aasp

That's on the user. Not my problem if someone buys a printer that's not compatible with their system.

But you can't make assumptions about the person having installed drivers when they never explicitly said anything about that until I asked.

The next problem we have, is that the OP has never stated what version of Mac OS they're running. We know the printer is USB, so that means we can likely rule out systems older than about 2001, but that still leaves a rather large set of options to contend with. That would include OS 9 and OS X 10.0-10.6. If the OP is using say an original iMac running OS X 10.2, we would arrive at a source of the problem.

That is the second major blunder made by virtually everyone here.

And just FYI, no one cares if you work at a call center Apple contracts with. It's how many posts deep now and the OP has yet to mention what version of Mac OS they're using. And except for mrmacfixit, no one has even bothered to ask this very basic question. One of the first things you need to know, is at least the major OS revision. There's a big difference if we're talking about 10.0 and 10.6. Even if we're talking about 10.4 it'd be significant.

I was trying to be gracious about it, by requesting that the OP just start from the beginning and tell us everything they've done from start to present. Hoping that someone would catch on, but no one did.

At this point the OP seems rather disinterested in helping us help them, so if you want to play dentist and try and yank the info out of them, have at it. I value my time more than that. With luck you'll stumble onto the answer, because with the mistakes you've made so far, that's the best you can hope for.

Collapse -
Operating sytem
by tony_ponty / April 21, 2010 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: That's on the user

I'm using 10.6. The Macbook is less than 6 months old.

Collapse -
USB cable
by tony_ponty / April 21, 2010 8:01 AM PDT

I'll try to borrow a USB cable to find out if that is the problem.

Collapse -
basic
by macman447 / April 22, 2010 2:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
USB cable
by tony_ponty / April 22, 2010 3:27 AM PDT

I'll try another cable and see if that helps.
Thanks to all for your help so far.

Collapse -
Success with new cable!!
by tony_ponty / April 22, 2010 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: USB cable

Tried another cable and it worked.
Many thanks to all for your help.

Collapse -
Not recognizing Pixma
by johnlh / April 29, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

Go to the Canon Website and download the latest software that Canon list for your type of computer and OS. It is free. Canon makes it real easy on selecting what driver and software for what OS. The download has a separate one for the driver and the software for your printer. I just downloaded the latest software for the Canon MP620. I often check the websites such as Canon for devices that may have updated their software and or drivers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?