The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Macbook vs. MacBook Pro

by wizardjs / May 16, 2006 10:33 AM PDT

Hey ,I really wanna get a new Macintel laptop. And the new mcbooks are sooo kool. I have two questions, for the huge price increase, is there a reason for a person looking for leisure use, a little video editing (honestly, not much), and school document use to get the pro over the mcbook? Also, is there much point getting the 2 GHz, is it that much faster? i'd rather have the kooler, longer battery-lifing 1.83, but Iwanna know ifthe 2 is worth it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook vs. MacBook Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook vs. MacBook Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
on second thought
by wizardjs / May 16, 2006 11:01 AM PDT

ill keep the video editing on my iMac

Collapse -
I'd go for the MacBook...
by barret55 / May 16, 2006 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: on second thought

... and not the pro in your case. Since you said yourself it would be for leisurely use, documents, and the like, there's no justification for spending the extra money. You are essentially the target market for these new MacBooks.

-Terry

Collapse -
Very True
by wizardjs / May 16, 2006 9:26 PM PDT

Macbook it is. Thanks guys!

Collapse -
MacBook in the Middle
by MacHugger / May 16, 2006 5:40 PM PDT

As for going for the cheapest one, the middle one is the best deal in my opinion. It isn't TOO much more expensive and you get 2.0 GHz and the Superdrive. The 1.83 only comes with the combo drive and I'm sure there will be times when you'll want to burn a DVD. The battery life will be a little better on the low end one but there is pretty good power management in these laptops.

I can do limited video stuff on my 4 year old Titanium and I'm sure even the low-end video card in these MacBooks will be far better than what I have.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Video card
by kifcaliph / May 17, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

As others have pointed out the MacBook is probably your best bet. However there are a few things to consider. In my case I opted for a MacBook Pro because of the video card. I play games and didn't think 64MB would be enough for most of the games I'd play (Civ4, HL2, etc.). In any case my recommendation is to wait 6 months (unless you really need a new computer) by then most of the V1 quirks should be resolved.

-plwodi

Collapse -
Seemingly weird Macbook and Macbook Pro pricing...
by drivechevysordie / May 17, 2006 11:31 AM PDT

I just think there is this weird feature and pricing issue between MacBook and MacBook Pro. The specs on the $1299 MacBook verses the low end $1999 MacBook Pro seems like they are too close to justify the $700 premium. Here are the extras you'll get for $700:

dedicated video card (Intel GMA 950 vs. ATI X1600)
slightly bigger screen (1280x800 vs. 1440x900)
20 GB HD space (60 GB vs. 80 GB)
enclosure (white plastic vs. aluminum)
DVI Link (single vs. dual)
DVI Adapter ($19 add-on for MacBook)
VGA Adapter ($19 add-on for MacBook)
lighted keyboard
ExpressCard/34 slot

I don't know about you but I just don't see a $700 worth of goodies there. Also the kicker is MacBook has 1 1/2 hour more battery life than the MacBook Pro. Something seems out of whack in Apple's product line.

Collapse -
Not really weird. Here's my take on it.
by MacHugger / May 17, 2006 11:45 AM PDT

First off, pricing doesn't always reflect a one to one comparison of performance and features. It often comes down to marketing the item with perceived ''higher quality.'' The thinner form factor and aluminum case make it seem more professional.

But there are significant performance differences that help close this gap a bit. The graphics card is a major one, I think. The backlit keyboard is a cool benefit but not really a huge difference maker.

It's just like going to buy a car. There is ''base price'' and then there is ''pay thousands more for cool features that aren't really worth thousands more.'' Tell me those Xenon headlights are worth a thousand bucks? And power windows and seats - are they really worth $1500? Of course not. They are things that we WANT not what we need and people usually pay more for what they want (I think I say this once a day in one forum or another Happy )

But to have a base model car with the same engine (processor) as the tricked-out car with maybe a navigation system and power everything is a difference that a lot of people will pay for.

The battery life is almost surely less in the Pro because of the thinner form factor. Maybe the screen eats more juice and perhaps the backlit keyboard a touch but I'm guessing it's a thinner battery.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Perception vs. Value...
by drivechevysordie / May 17, 2006 9:49 PM PDT

I understand what you're saying and I think it's examplifies the problem that Apple has with it's inability to reach the mass market over the years. It just seems like they've always sold products and marketed them to those that think "perception" is somehow just as important or sometimes even more important than the actual value of the product. To those people that think importance of perception comes second to value ends up believing that products from Apple are simply over priced. I think the world has lot more of the latter than the former. This reputation of Apple tends to be the barrier that keeps them for becoming more mainstream. I think the premium pricing for black MacBook just for it's color is really just a continuating their past of marketing "perception" and I don't think it's helping them in the long run. Another Apple product that fuels this is their $99 leather iPod cases. This is inconsistent with their effort to reach the mainstream by selling the "Mac is better than PC" message in their recent ad campaign.

To me MacBook is actually an excellent value for it's price. However, relative to MacBook, MacBook Pro does seem lot more expensive unnecesarilly. I'm not alone in this. I think quite a number of people that just bought MacBook Pro trying to return it for MacBook. Lastly if Apple truely wants to shed the old image of company that sells only premium priced products then they need to do it across all product line and not just part of it.

Collapse -
Mass Market... God no.
by MacHugger / May 18, 2006 3:55 AM PDT

The BMW analogy gets used a lot but it's a perfectly fitting comparison.

I don't think Apple wants to shed their image as a premium company. Why? That would be stupid. Apple is one of the healthiest companies in the tech industry right now. Just because they have a small percentage of the market does not mean this company is in danger. BMW and Mercedes COMBINED don't have the same percentage of the car market that Apple has of the computer market. Apple's market value is currently just a hair more than Dell's (a "mass market" company). Michael Dell would love to be in Steve Jobs' position: sell less, make more. Profit, profit, profit. That's all a company cares about. The more you sell to the masses, the more you have to provide customer support and warranty repairs, etc. (and we know by "mass market" that's going to include a LOT of idiots you are supporting - "Yes, Ma'am, the power button is on the BACK. Your computer isn't broken.")

As for the premium price for Apple products, it is a hardware issue for many people but for a lot of us, it's always been about the Mac OS. I still would have paid more and bought Macs if they looked just as ugly as Dells. I just consider myself lucky that the OS I happen to love also comes on a beautiful piece of hardware. Fortunately, there isn't really even much of a price difference when you compare things hardware for hardware. Maybe way back in the day but not for years.

And as for mass market - the iPod is enough. GOD, I hope Apple never goes mass market with its computers. "Mass Market" usually brings with it horrible things.

-Kevin S.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?