Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Macbook Virus Protection?

by ActorE / August 19, 2007 5:25 AM PDT

This weekend I will be making the official plunge in the switch from PC to Mac. I haven't used mac too much and don't know nearly as much about mac as I do PC. So I was wondering, Do I need some kind of anti-virus or anti-spywear for the mac? If so what kind.

Sorry if this is a really stupid obvious question.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Virus Protection?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Virus Protection?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Macbook Virus Protection.
by dbennett48 / August 19, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

I was in the same boat that you are in. I ran my Mac for a month without any virus protection. I got a little scared and I got Norton Virus protection. In the several months since I have Norton, I have not seen anything on my system. I will not renew Norton.

Collapse -
Not a stupid question, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 6:15 AM PDT

currently there are NO viruses for OS X in the wild. There have not been since OS X was released back in 2000.
As noted by the other poster, Norton makes an antivirus suite for the Mac but it is a resource hog and really serves no other purpose that to prevent you from passing along any Windows type viruses that you receive attached to an email.
The Windows viruses do not run on OS X.

If you want to feel good about yourself and feel the need to protect those using Windows, you could always download a copy of CLAMXAV. This is a free piece of software that finds Windows viruses as well as being ready to find the first OS X virus.

Spyware is currently non-existent too. I know of no Mac Anti-Spyware software.

Congratulations on your decision to get a Mac.

If you have any questions, just holler

P

Collapse -
One more question
by ActorE / August 19, 2007 8:03 AM PDT

I do have one more question... what do you think is the easiest way to transport everything from my old PC to my new mac?

Thanks

Collapse -
Transfer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: One more question

By far the easiest way to move stuff from your PC to the Mac is by having the two machines on a network together.
This involves the use of a Router/Switch, a switch or a hub. If you plan on keeping the PC and want to get on the internet with it, a Router would be the best route. That way both machines can surf at the same time. (assuming broadband connection here)
Failing that, a USB 2.0 hard drive would work (do not format it NTFS) or even a 1 or 2 GB thumb drive.

Bear in mind that you will not be transferring programs from the PC to the Mac, they will not run there. You will only be moving the data you have created. Office documents, Quicken, music, photo's, etc.

P

Collapse -
I'm new to Mac too :-)
by marspike7 / August 24, 2007 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: One more question

Hi AE,

I moved recently from PC to Mac to so maybe as one novice to another I may be able to share a couple of things.

I actually bought a 'mac mini' and converted my PC to a pure Home Entertainment PC free of the constraints of antivirus/spyware etc.

I bought the mac mini as I had all the peripherals and had read it was the perfect addendum to someone like myself who had a pretty up to date pc.

I love my mac, turning it on and off is a bit like using a light switch (well, maybe a fluoro but compared to windows...).

I did however install PARRALLELS DESKTOP for mac (version 3.0) and it is the most amazing thing and I really recommend it.It sells for around $144.00 AU and it allows you to run windows and mac at the same time and even drop and drag files between the 2.

I haven't discovered all its workings but I know there is a thing called 'transporter' which I think help transports files from your pc to mac - I haven't used it but I know parallels has the facility to do it.

My mini has a 60 gig hard drive so I bought a 500gig external and formatted it for mac (see disc utility).

That way you can read and write not just read.

The only other thing I can think of is to download flip for mac (free) so you can play your windows media files and if you don't want to splash out on mac office there is a free Open Office for mac (if you install parallels you can always just open all your windows files that way - its a truly amazing programme!)

The only glitch I've had is using my Bigpond Broadband Wireless Modem - an updated software package has been released by bigpond but it still needs work.

Hope something here helps Happy

Collapse -
Oh you think thats something
by supportlife / December 20, 2007 6:14 PM PST

no b/c they have been talk about N/for the imac and right now and i had it about 2 weeks and i have 12/V what and the hell am i going to do someone help me

Collapse -
Do you need help
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 20, 2007 9:00 PM PST

I wonder if you would be so kind as to run your last post by us again, this time using whole words that are found in the English language.

Explain why you believe that you have 12/V . Did some AV software inform you of this? If so, what software is it?

I'll mention this again: There are currently NO (none, zilch, nada,zero) Virus's in the wild that affect the Mac OS X operating system.

If you know better and can give real examples, we would all be pleased to hear about them.

P

Collapse -
VIRUS PROTECTION FOR MAC
by safe2011 / September 12, 2011 1:01 AM PDT

THE RESPONSE WAS VERY HELPFUL

Collapse -
Norton can be bad & there is no need for it & more
by Kathleen Lawrence / August 31, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

1) you don't need to worry about any virus when using OS X!
2) Norton is evil: it's a very, very dangerous tool to use on any OSX machine. It can trash your file system in very short order. -Specifically, the root-level files Norton installs -- "Filesaver" and a bunch of daemons to control it -- cause more problems than they fix. Ditto the virus protection, etc. - Also, their directory repair is poor and destroys data other utility programs need. DiskWarrior even has a message that says something along the lines of "We cannot repair this directory -- some other program (Norton) has tampered with the directory structure." The product has been *discontinued* Here's an article from MacWorld, in 2004: http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/04/14/symantec/?lsrc=mcrss-0404 "Symantec Inc. on Wednesday confirmed plans to discontinue the Macintosh versions of its Norton Utilities and SystemWorks packages and instead will focus its efforts on developing its Internet security software." Norton Utilities is dead, and that's fine. Norton Antivirus is still alive, but its only real job right now is to catch Windows viruses.
-New to Macs:
*New Apple Service private learning: http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone
*Basics:
- http://www.apple.com/support/mac101
- http://www.apple.com/support/quickassist
- http://www.apple.com/support/tiger
- http://www.apple.com/support/macbook
*Keep Your Mac Happy:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/iMacChat/files/ and go to Tips folder
*Check out: http://www.myfirstmac.com and http://www.macinstruct.com/node/124
more: http://MacOSG.com, and http://www.apple.com/usergroups
*David Pogue's, The Missing Manual Series are indispensable! Make sure to get the correct version for your particular OS! Panther, Tiger, & Leopard. There is an edition just for Switchers, too.

Collapse -
MacBook Virus Protection Question
by bsts126sabre / November 30, 2007 4:39 AM PST

Every site keeps saying that the OS-X doesn't get viruses, but what about just a regular old MacBook? Is it just as strong agaist viruses? Does it come with any vrus protection on it already? One more question, do I need to download this thing called ClamX?

The only reason I am so adement about getting virus protection is because viruses fried my old PC... Sad

Thanks

Billy

Collapse -
Same thing?
by bsts126sabre / November 30, 2007 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: More at this link.

Is a MacBook and OS-X the same thing? I'm getting a MacBook.

Billy

Collapse -
Same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2007 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Same thing?

And the ongoing issue appears to be "How to Deprogram Windows Users."

This issue extends to cell phones. It's sad the holes have otherwise normal people looking for a firewall for their cell phone.

Bob

Collapse -
OS X and MacBook
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 30, 2007 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Same thing?

Hi Billy,

The MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, Power Mac are all different computers but all have one thing in common.
They ALL run OS X. Your new machine will come with OS X version 10.5, known as Leopard.

Bob is saying that Windows users have been conditioned to require AV/Firewall/Etc. on their machines and it is difficult to "deprogram" them.

Enjoy your new found freedom from the curse of Windows virus's

P

Collapse -
by glistenboy / October 13, 2011 9:59 PM PDT

you can trust mac..its also a worthy

Collapse -
and?
by ZZZX5ZZZ / November 8, 2011 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: reply

I bought my first Mac in 2005 and have recently bought my second. On the first I ran Virus X anti-virus and MacScan, an anti- spyware program. I never had any problems with either program, contrary to what I have read some people, but not all, to say about Norton. I never encountered any viruses. As to spyware, I installed MacScan about a year after I bought the computer and found a total of 40 fragments of spyware, nothing serious, and some tracking cookies, but nothing after the first couple of months I had the program. But not finding them does not tell me there are none. Before the first Mac I owned two IBM clones, beginning around 1998. I ran multiple virus and spyware scans on both. Never had trouble with spyware, though did catch a few minor ones. As to viruses, caught one nasty one within its first 24 hours on the web, before the definition was written in the anti-virus, and had to hire an expert to remove it. Otherwise nothing. Virus X has a new definition out perhaps every two weeks on average. So if there are no viruses for Macs, what are these definitions?

Collapse -
dont waste your money
by PowerofAttorney / May 10, 2012 2:29 AM PDT

I have had a mac for the last 10 years and you do not need norton or any security software

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.