MacBooks forum

General discussion

macbook regular or air??

My daughter is graduating from grad school and would like a MacBook Air 13-inch. The CNET review isn't all that positive. Please share advice before I place this rather expensive order. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: macbook regular or air??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: macbook regular or air??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well

In reply to: macbook regular or air??

Well, it kind of depends on what she wants to do with it. The MacBook Air isn't a bad product necessarily, but it comes with many of the same issues and restrictions as any netbook. Issues like no optical drive, so reinstalling the OS can be a bit tricky if you don't know how.

What are some of the things she plans to do with the device? Also, what sorts of qualities does she value in a laptop?

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Well

Thanks for your reply!

Collapse -
two different machines

the MacBook Air is a great laptop, but it's not as versatile as the MacBook. Mainly, it is designed to be an ultraportable Mac super-netbook, which is to say, it includes features, like a core 2 duo, larger screen, and larger keyboard that normal cheapo netbooks lack. It's drawbacks are the lack of an internal superdrive, fewer USBs (for those of us who use USBs), and it's slower Core 2 Duo (the standard MacBook quite a bit faster than the standard Air). Essentially, it is a 'carry everywhere' machine, and as such, has compromised on performance and versatility. I would advise using it as a portable machine, not my primary computer, but then, some people are happy with netbooks as their primary computers, so don't take my word as final!

The regular MacBook is ultimately a much better all-around machine. It has a DVD drive (of course) as well as a much faster CPU, and a decent feature set. It lacks some of the finishing touches, like the backlit keyboard and aluminum body, of the Macbook Air. It's a plain and simple computer with plenty of power and the basic features you'll need.

Personally, I would suggest neither of these laptops, but rather a MacBook Pro 13". It's got the nice touches included in the Air (aluminum finish, backlit keys), plus the features of the white MacBook (faster CPU, built in DVD), and even a few unique features of it's own, like the firewire port and larger memory. It looks more or less the same as the Air, only weighs 1.5LBS more, and actually costs less. So, it might be an acceptable compromise.

Here's a link to a comparison on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac/whichmacbook.html

hope this helps!

Collapse -
I would agree on that choice,

In reply to: two different machines

You get the best of all worlds with that machine

P

Collapse -
insightful

In reply to: two different machines

Very helpful - thanks!

Collapse -
My 2 cents

I have had an Air for about 18 months. It is a terrific machine and it's always with me as a college professor and in my consulting practice. However, my iMac is my primary computer because the Air is too limited in it's functionality. Together, with iDisk and MobileMe, they are a great combination. But if I could only have 1 computer, I would have a Macbook Pro. Congratulations to your daughter!

Collapse -
great advice

In reply to: My 2 cents

Thank you!

Collapse -
portability - size (or rather, weight) DOES matter

I agree with the others that it depends on what she wants to DO - but do not minimize the weight issue. I love my MacBook Pro 15" (my primary computer - to which I have added a stand and full size keyboard) but I realized I don't like traveling with it. I travel a LOT and the weight of it in my bag is tough on my back and neck (I am healthy and in shape, but it causes strain.) I just got an iPad, which I will travel with instead. Again, not the same functionality as a laptop but you have to know what you plan to DO with it. Of course, traveling through airports is different than having a backpack and going to school... While a big surprise is nice, it might be best to get her in on the conversation.

Collapse -
mac weight

In reply to: portability - size (or rather, weight) DOES matter

thank you

Collapse -
Funstion

What would be the function of the laptop for her, is it for gaming, schooling or so on? if she will just use it on school project such as documents light photo and video editing then the macbook air would be perfect for her. Besides it is light and thin the battery life last longer

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.