Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

MacBook question (probably easy)

by mitchdance / June 7, 2007 10:32 AM PDT

So i had a macbook (last gen) which didnt upload footage off of my dvx 100a(panasonic)3ccd, its a high quality camera and with the 512 RAM i assumed it wouldnt upload because of the file sizes. I took that one back upon the relese of the new generation MacBooks with a gig of RAM and i have been timid to try to upload usuing my firewire. if this doesnt work is there anyway i can get my macbook (not pro) to upload footage (programs, drivers???) any input would be a great help as i need to upload footage because im going into film school in the fall.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook question (probably easy)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook question (probably easy)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
minidv
by mitchdance / June 7, 2007 10:36 AM PDT

its a mini -DV cam if thats anydifferent on a mac.

Collapse -
A miniDV cam using FireWire is perfect and
by boya84 / June 7, 2007 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: minidv

should work just fine.

1) Computer is powered up, Mac OSX is running.
2) Connect FireWire to camera.
3) Connect other side of FireWire to MacBook.
4) Power up camera with AC power supply attached and plugged into known working AC outlet.
5) Camera needs to be in "Playback/Edit" mode.
6) Launch iMovie HD.
7) Name the iMovie project.
Cool Blue iMovie HD screen should appear indicating "Camera Connected".
9) Using controls in iMovie HD, rewind tape. If already rewound,
10, Click Import.

What's not working?

I use a Sony HDR-HC1 hidef camcorder and do the above pretty regularly. I have also connected (and transferred video) from Panasonic and Canon miniDV tape based camcorders...

Collapse -
And yes, I agree, the Panasonic DVX100A is a great
by boya84 / June 7, 2007 12:14 PM PDT

camcorder... I recently had a DVX100B connected to my Mac. No special drivers required...

If you are using FinalCut, I can walk you through that, too - but it is pretty easy - it is all in the set up...

Collapse -
I suggest you get familiar with
by boya84 / June 7, 2007 12:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry - I did not actually respond to the original issue...
by boya84 / June 7, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

The inability to import has NOTHING to do with the Apple Macintosh hardware you were - or are using. The issue is that iMovie is a free, consumer-grade, relatively low-end video editing application. If you were capturing in 24P or some other high-end, it was not designed to handle that. You need FinalCut... I don't know if Express will do - I've been using Pro (in the Studio bundle) for a bit, and it does pretty much everything.

I suggest a quick read through of

http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

Sorry for all the posts... hope they help, though...

Collapse -
Panasonic DVX 100A or B and Final Cut Software on a MacPro
by cewing98 / July 17, 2010 6:09 AM PDT

Hi, I just recently purchased a Mac Pro with firewire as well as a Panasonic DVX 100B. The Final Cut software is not recognizing the camera at all. Can you please walk me through what you did in setup?? I have the appropriate connectors, but am at a loss as to what else to do to use the editing software. Are any drivers needed? Any help appreciated!!

Collapse -
Should be no drivers necessary,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 9:35 AM PDT

but try this.

Connect the camera using the, NOT INCLUDED, IEEE1494 cable to the firewire port of your Mac.

Note that the cable will have different ends on it, small for the camera end and a larger one for the Mac end.

Did you purchase this cable?

Assuming you have the correct cable, and it is connected, turn on the camera and set it to Play.
If nothing happens on the Mac, launch iMovie. Yes, I know you have FC but this is just a test.
iMovie should show that a camera is connected and allow you to suck down the video from your, very nice, camera.
If all goes well and the camera is recognized, then you have a settings problem in FC. However, it iMovie does not recognize the camera, you may have a problem with the camera.

Hope this helps.

P

Collapse -
The REAL problem here!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 11:06 PM PDT

The problem is not that iMovieHD is a "Free" program or that the Video is in the wrong format or even that Final Cut Express is required.
The problem is that the poster has, is themselves!
"i have been timid to try to upload usuing my firewire."
Unquote
This poster, apparently, has been trying to upload video from his camera by creating a method of his own. I thought USB but this camera does not have USB, that I can see, and the Macbook does not have S-Video input. The manual covers connecting with an IEEE1394 cable but the cable is an optional extra.

I think a little more information is needed as to how the poster was attempting to upload video.
Right now, I would say this problem is a PICNIC

P

Collapse -
it was a fear, with hope
by mitchdance / June 8, 2007 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: The REAL problem here!

the problem with the last macbook i had was it said it could not read a camera other then the webcam... when i got the new gen a day ago i hadnt tried to upload yet... im doing so today in hopes that it works. thanks to everyone who put in input

Collapse -
How were you trying to input video into the Mac?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 1:19 AM PDT

The third post in this thread should be all you need to do.
Hopefully you purchased the optional IEEE1394 cable for the camera

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.