Samsung forum

Question

Macbook Pro - Samsung Smart TV compatibility

by ChrisB246 / February 5, 2014 4:26 AM PST

Howdy all,
We recently purchased a Samsung Smart TV which has been working great other than some annoying speaker vibrations caused by 'base' sounds.

Last night I tried hooking up our MacBook Pro with a HDMI cable to watch a DVD and also to project some iphoto pictures but all we could get on the TV screen was the Apple "galaxy" image. It appeared that the TV recognized some of the input from the computer but not anything more than that.

There was no sound, nor any pictures. When we started the DVD, the "galaxy" image disappeared and a medium blue screen took it's place. I have looked through some of the previous threads and have not found an answer that seems to work although one person suggested getting a DVI to HDMI converter. I want to make sure that the suggested solution worked before I went out and bought one.

I also understand that although we may be able to get the pictures on the TV screen, we may not be able to get sound. Is there an easy solution to that other than listening to the sound via the computer speaker?

Thanks, from the computer illiterate.
Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Pro - Samsung Smart TV compatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Pro - Samsung Smart TV compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: Macbook Pro - Samsung Smart TV compatibility
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 6, 2014 11:42 PM PST

Hi ChrisB246,

Sorry to hear this. Please provide the model code of your TV so we may better assist you. Also, have you tried any other HDMI ports on your TV? Have you tried more than one HDMI cable?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Macbook Pro - Samsung Smart TV compatibility by ChrisB246
by ChrisB246 / February 9, 2014 11:18 AM PST

Howdy HD Tech,
Thanks for getting back to me. The model code is: UN 32 EH 5300 F (serial # Z5HC3CSDA01806). I have tried the other HDMI ports on the TV with no success.

I am thinking that it may be a Mac issue as we were at friends over the weekend and I tried hooking up to their HDMI port on their TV (a Sony Bravia) and got the same thing; the Mac galaxy symbol but no pictures. I have had the Mac hooked up to our 50" Samsung TV (which is in storage at present) and it worked fine. I was able to show pictures and run iMovie, although I could not get the sound to work through the TV. I have not tried another HDMI cable, I will have to get another one and try it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Chris

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?