Laptops forum

General discussion

MacBook Pro or Dell Inspiron e1705?

by stunnaboy808 / May 27, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

I am soon going away to college and do not know which computer to buy. I will be using the computer for school work, music, movies and internet browsing maybe even a little movie editing. I wanted to know which computer is better?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook Pro or Dell Inspiron e1705?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook Pro or Dell Inspiron e1705?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hang in there for the Pro "refresh."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 11:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
New Pro?
by stunnaboy808 / May 27, 2007 12:37 PM PDT

how long do you think before the new pro comes out? Will it drop prices on the old?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2007 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: New Pro?

If price is an issue look at the refurb offerings at Apple. You can do this today.

I decline to write when but you can read the link I noted for clues. I'm holding out for a free OS upgrade.

Bob

Collapse -
Quality of Refurbished?
by stunnaboy808 / May 28, 2007 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

Do you think the quality of a refurbished computer can last me 4 years of college?

Collapse -
Sometimes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2007 7:36 AM PDT

My laptops last me that long but I'm gentle with them. I cringe as I watch people pound on the keyboards (gaming?) or slam the lid closed. Some of them toss the backpack into the car trunk.

You decide how long it lasts in most cases.

But let's knock off a few misconceptions. Hard disk contents are never safe. Backup. Batteries fade in year 2 no matter whose you select. Count on it.

One of the really neat updates is LED backlighting. If what I know holds true, that old issue of display dimming with just a few years should be history.

Bob

Collapse -
New MacBook Pro availability
by electronista / May 28, 2007 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: New Pro?

The signs seem to point to Apple's WWDC show, which kicks of June 11th. There's a chance it'll happen sooner, but (I think) only if it's a relatively minor update. But eveyrthing I've heard, and I do have some authoritative sources, suggests that it should be a major (though not necessarily revolutionary) update.

Your system will probably come preloaded with the current OS (Tiger) since the new one won't be ready until October -- but that's fine. Tiger works well, and you don't want to play guinea pig for new software while you're trying to get schoolwork done!

Collapse -
Prices
by stunnaboy808 / May 28, 2007 12:40 PM PDT

Will the prices be lower or about the same?

Collapse -
On MBP prices
by electronista / May 28, 2007 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Prices

Knowing Apple, they'll be roughly the same. The company typically prefers to increase the feature set rather than drop prices, unless they can do both at the same time.

That said, this time around $1999 may be the 'real' price of the base system, since you probably won't need to run out and buy more RAM or upgrade storage. I wouldn't get the higher-end models unless I could easily afford it or had a clear reason (such as lots of pro work).

Collapse -
Let's look at the prices since the Intel rollout.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2007 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Prices

Nope, haven't changed much. You just get more for the money.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.