Mac OS forum

General discussion

MacBook Pro not Booting and the Startup sound is looping

by WTwistedM / January 10, 2010 3:05 PM PST

Good day

I am having an odd pproblem with a MacBook Pro. When I boot, 95% of the time, the Apple sound will loop continuously and the Notebook will not boot. In every 10 tries, I will have a chance to get the machine to boot up into the OS, and after a little while the Display will start to flash randomly and the machine will freeze. only a force shutdown seems to bring you out the freeze, but then you can't always get back into the OS because of the looping Apple Startup sound.

It gets stuck at the exact same moment, right after the apple sound is finished, but loops.. So What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't get stuck at random moments, only just as the apple sound is finished playing, then it plays over, and over and over...

It's difficult running software to target the problem as there is almost no way of getting in, or booting from a Disk.

I have changed the RAM completely and still no difference.

Any advise would be appreciate just to narrow down this problem.
MacBook Pro
2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160 GB 5400rpm

Thanks
T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook Pro not Booting and the Startup sound is looping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook Pro not Booting and the Startup sound is looping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Curious
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 8:53 PM PST

does it do that when you attempt to boot from the Restore disks that came with the machine?

Can you ZAP the PRAM? Command + Option + P + R at the first chime and hold down for a further 2 chimes.

If there is any sort of warranty on this machine, I would call Apple and tell them all about it.

I doubt changing out things, RAM and Hard Drive, will have a deal of difference as the problem seems to be in the Firmware that controls how to boot.

P

Collapse -
Didn't try it like that
by WTwistedM / January 11, 2010 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: Curious

Hi.

Thank you for coming back to me. I didn't try that. I will give it a try as soon as I get to the machine again today. And I will let you know.

I have tried a booting from the HDD diagnostics CD, but couldn't get further from the Chime startup sound.

I will post the result soon.

Many thanks for the help so far.
T

Collapse -
Exact same problem
by e-ane / February 19, 2011 11:29 PM PST

I have the sale problem, did you solve it?
Im desparate!

Thanks

Collapse -
I just had a system like this
by Jimmy Greystone / February 20, 2011 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Exact same problem

I just had a system like this come to me at work. Think it was a slightly older model, but symptoms were pretty much identical, and long story short I replaced the logic board to fix it.

Collapse -
(NT) ChaChing!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2011 8:28 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.