MacBooks forum

General discussion

MacBook Pro noise issue

Used my MB134 for 2 weeks. and the noise drives me nuts.

1. Very strange hissing noise when using battery only. disappear if connected to ac.

2. High-pitched whine related to screen brightness on vista. gone if maxim brightness or back to leopard.

Anyone has the same problem? plz let me know how to solve it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook Pro noise issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook Pro noise issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely hardware defects

In reply to: MacBook Pro noise issue

I have seen many complaints on the MacBook Pro hissing noises, be it from the speakers, the hard drive, or the screen as you say.

You seem to suggest that your MacBook is only two weeks old. If it is constantly having these issues, back up your data and return it to the store. I believe that Apple has a two week return policy. Even if you are a few days over, I'm sure that they will still help you out. Take it to the Genius Bar, and request a replacement. If it is a brand new Mac, they should replace it completely, instead of repairing it. A fully functional MacBook should not emit any strange noises. Let us know how you get on.

-BMF

Collapse -
Thanks for your reply

In reply to: Most likely hardware defects

Thanks for your reply.

I called people from Apple and they said they never heard of these before. So I will bring my MBP to the store to get checked.

Collapse -
Good to know

In reply to: Thanks for your reply

Let us know what happens.

-BMF

Collapse -
Or limitations in current hardware designs.

In reply to: MacBook Pro noise issue

One of the annoyances of today's designs is that some frequencies in the generation of the display are in the audible range. Look at the refresh rate and some of the switched mode power supplies. So as you drop other masking noises like fans or other then these creep up and people can hear them. There's not much to do here if you have an owner that puts their ear closer to the devices since you should hear "something" as the designs are not silent.
Bob

Collapse -
From what I've seen

In reply to: Or limitations in current hardware designs.

some of the newer Penryn MacBooks have been subject to many design problems. Those screen lines and hissing noises were many issues that plagued the new machines. While some of the problems were or could have been software-related, it could have also been a simple design defect. I don't think that Apple intended for their latest products to develop annoying sounds. Here is an example of LCD hissing amongst other MBP problems.

I think that this could be a genuine problem. Anyone can hear the fans or the hum of the hard drive in a computer should they be able to listen hard enough. But if it sticks out, there could be a problem. My MacBook's fans will come on if I am running multiple tasks at once, which is normal. I doubt that the poster is overreacting to this. Just my take.

-BMF

Collapse -
Always make the call.

In reply to: From what I've seen

If it bugs you, call it in.

-> But today I'm running into new owners that put the ear to the keyboard and ask "is it supposed to make that sound?"
Bob

Collapse -
Haha

In reply to: Always make the call.

I got a good laugh out of that. Next people will wonder why a monitor lights up when you turn it on... Wink

That reminds me of many situations that I've been through:
"I want a new laptop. I think I'll get the MacBook Air."
-"Well it is expensive and underpowered. Plus, it can't be your main computer."
"But it looks really cool and it is so thin! And it's a Mac!"
-"Yes, but the computer itself is limited in many ways. For a lower price, you can get a regular MacBook that doesn't make as many compromises. Plus, it's faster."
"But it looks really cool and it is so thin! And it's a Mac!"
-*Smacks head.*

I've been through that too many times.

Well, at least Apple delivers when you have a problem... lately it seems that more people are either praising or complaining about Apple's products. What happened to all of those creative things that people were doing with Macs? They seem to be "disappearing". You have to look harder for those things nowadays. Maybe it's just me.
What's funny is that I was thinking about this when I went to the Genius Bar for that hard drive failure. I was talking to my friend about hooking up Mac Minis to HDTVs and some of the other great things that they can do. The Genius I spoke to must have overheard us before my appointment; after we finished up, he turned his MacBook around with a picture of a Mac Mini and a 50-inch TV. That was good.

-BMF

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.