MacBooks forum

Question

Macbook Pro (Late 2011) not booting

Hi,

A Macbook Pro was bought into the pawn shop I work at and it was working fine until a few weeks ago. It was missing 3 keys on the keyboard so I deceided to replace the whole keyboard.

Now it will not boot up at all. I was more than careful when disassembling the device especially with the power flex when removing the actual keyboard. I am hoping it is not the logic board as it is an expensive fix.

It came to the point where I put the old one back in to see if it would boot up again but no luck. I checked if the magsafe mains lead was going on another macbook as the LED wasn't lighting when plugged in.

The battery indicator on the left of the laptop is showing one green light (3rd from bottom) but it has been like that since, plus I don't think the battery had much juice in it to begin with.

I have done a lot of troubleshooting including reseting the PRAM and SMC which is what Apple support also told me to do.

Is there any other solutions that I haven't tried that may work. So far it has only cost me the price of the keyboard but a lot of time has went into looking to fix it.

I appreciate any suggestions you have and hopefully we can get this working. I now wish I just ordered the keys I needed of the internet rather than replace the whole thing.

Thanks
Ashley

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Pro (Late 2011) not booting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Pro (Late 2011) not booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
IF the MBP was working before you opened it up

In reply to: Macbook Pro (Late 2011) not booting

and replaced the keyboard, then assuming that the replacement keyboard is good, it is highly likely that you damaged something, not necessarily the logic board, during the install.

That the original keyboard does not work either, is worrying.

That said, perhaps you did not connect everything quite like it should be, those ribbon cables can be tricky at times, so it is worth going back in and checking all the connections.

A replacement logic board for the that machine will set you back almost as much as a new laptop.

Let us know what you find

P

Collapse -
Macbook Pro (Late 2011) not booting

In reply to: IF the MBP was working before you opened it up

It was working before which is why I'm a bit annoyed. I have checked all the wires and flex cables and I've noticed the camera wire next to the speaker and subwoofer flex is damaged. Would that stop it booting or just cause the webcam not to work?

If I was to get a spare part, can you cut the wire and solder them together and just cover it in heat shrink as I would not want to take the screen of just to get to the camera.

Ashley

Collapse -
Certainly you could get a spare part

In reply to: Macbook Pro (Late 2011) not booting

and connect the wires but I really don't think that is the problem.
MacBooks boot without a working camera.

When you press the power button to boot the thing, what "exactly" happens?
Chimes?
Screen lights up?
Optical Drive whirrs? (For want of a better word)
Any activity at all?

P

Collapse -
Nothing

In reply to: Certainly you could get a spare part

Absolutely nothing runs when I try to power up and due to that I have nothing to work on. What does the green light mean as it stays on when the battery is connected again. I seen on other forums that it means the logic is not at fault.

How important is the back cover for the keyboard as it was a bit dirty and I removed a fair amount of dirt that stuck to the adhesive

Would the optical drive be at fault and can you use another one not from a Macbook. There is no charging LED when the magsafe is connected so it may be the power outlet though I didn't disconnect it when removing the logic board

Collapse -
quandry

In reply to: Nothing

Not sure what Green light you are referring to here but when the MB is off, which you indicate is its normal state, there should be no light on the thing at all.

The back cover is important. Its why there is one. Are you saying that you dismantled the keyboard to clean it?

No, you almost certainly cannot use an Optical drive that was not designed for the Macbook. It will work without one.

This is the first mention of the removal of the logic board but because this is a Unibody Macbook, that's the only way to get to it. I had forgotten about that but it does open up a whole new area of possible ESD damage.

Bottom line, I going for the Keyboard first and then the logic board.

P

Collapse -
Can you repair possible ESD damage

In reply to: quandry

Is it repairable if it is possible ESD damage. The back cover i mean is the backlight that you have to put on after putting the 50+ screws in.

The green light comes on when the power is connected where the battery indicator is.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.