Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

MacBooks forum

General discussion

Macbook Pro Bluetooth keyboard problem

by Jonnny / October 2, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

I just purchased a 15" MacBookPro (July 2010)

I am not used to laptop keyboards so I was able to purchase a bluetooth Apple Keyboard with the Numeric keys.
This bluetooth external keyboard was made by Apple and a local company had these brand new for $60. I was told they were the model that came with iMacs.
Apple support told me that they should work fine but did not offer an effective solution.
So at any rate about 70% of the time this Bluetooth keyboard works great.

But sometimes when you go to type something it starts repeating whatever key you hit so it you were to type and "a" an example the MacBookPro displays "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".
Sometime just a few of the same character and sometimes it does not stop.
I correct this by turning the power switch off on the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and then turn it back on and all is fine.....for a while.
Sometimes for a week or so then it will do it a lot for a while or just intermittently

The keyboard built into MacBookPro does not do this.

I think it may be the Apple Bluetooth keyboard not the MacBookPro or its OS

Any Ideas...?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Pro Bluetooth keyboard problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Pro Bluetooth keyboard problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems like a warranty issue anyway.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 2, 2010 6:06 AM PDT

I'd start with the company where you bought the keyboard.

Kees

Collapse -
I agree,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 2, 2010 9:24 AM PDT

the problem is with the keyboard a multitude of repeating characters to the Mac.

Back to the store

P

Collapse -
Oh Ya Warrenty
by Jonnny / October 3, 2010 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree,

One of those deals where I need to bring all down to the store and watch somebody play with it, wasting a lot of my time while they try everything to get out of giving me my money back or another keyboard.
And of course it will not do what it is doing wrong for them....Hah!

I have always thought it was the keyboard and Apple pretty much said the same thing.

Maybe i am afraid to find out it is not the keyboard.. hah..!

Collapse -
If you feel that way about it,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 3, 2010 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh Ya Warrenty

just buy another Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

Alternatively, you could use the Apple Case number that the tech from Apple should have given you when you spoke with them, as proof that the keyboard is the issue.

You only need to take the keyboard with you, not the whole machine

P

Collapse -
Not so easy
by Jonnny / October 3, 2010 12:37 PM PDT

The store said that I needed to bring down the keyboard that I purchased from them and the MacBookPro and one of there technicians would check it out.

I plan to do this but will pretty much insist that they replace it or give me my money back.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!