Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Macbook Pro Alternative?

by FXTech / November 1, 2011 3:36 AM PDT

Hey Folks!

FXTech has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Pro Alternative?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Pro Alternative?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by FXTech

Collapse -
Must be 2 or 3 models now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

The problem as presented is your "requirements" call out the 15-inch Macbook Pro in it's first line. You repeat that in the last line.

How would anything else meet your requirements?
Bob

Collapse -
Valid Concern
by FXTech / November 3, 2011 5:29 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

Collapse -
Next time. Fix that copy and paste.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Valid Concern
Collapse -
If you want a gamer laptop. Many students do but won't tell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 6:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by FXTech / November 3, 2011 10:32 AM PDT

Sorry about the confusion :/

Collapse -
Answer
You do know
by Jimmy Greystone / November 1, 2011 10:54 AM PDT

You do know that you can run Windows on a MBP right? Not just in a VM, but natively via Boot Camp.

We can agree to disagree about a PC being a better value, since most PCs have pretty shoddy construction in comparison to an Apple product (and I say that as a hardware tech), but why not just take the MBP specs and go see what you can find that is more or less equivalent from other vendors? If you go for an exact, 1:1 match of the basic specs, you'll probably find virtually every PC maker is more expensive than Apple. If you include the cost of your own copy of Windows, it's probably pretty close to a wash.

Now, IMO, if not Apple then your options are limited to Dell and Toshiba... Maybe Asus, but Asus is still so new to the game there's little long term data on any of their units. HP and Acer can battle it out for the quality toilet bowl crown without me needing to pay to subject myself to their garbage is my thought on those. And Lenovo has done a pretty fantastic job of running IBM's top rate PC business into the ground.

Dell has the benefit of being pretty liberal regarding their warranties. You can replace almost anything you want without voiding the warranty, just don't expect Dell to cover whatever part you replaced. They also have a repair system in place that comes close to rivaling Apple's in overall efficiency. Probably the biggest downside, is Dell's documentation is atrocious. You try and find a teardown guide, and assuming they've bothered to put one up, it's usually missing a few key details, or when you actually go to try and remove a part, it doesn't look even remotely like the picture in the teardown guide.

Toshiba isn't really a lot better, their repair infrastructure is pretty bad (I've had it take over a month to get something as simple as a replacement keyboard, but typical times are like 2 weeks, compared to 24-48 hours for Dell, and Apple having over 90% of parts dispatched and arriving next business day). The only real upsides to Toshiba is that they're pretty middle of the road quality wise, like Dell, and are probably a little cheaper than Dell.

That is at least better than Acer which doesn't tend to stock warranty parts, and will regularly just up and cancel a repair order without any kind of notice or reason given. They're sold cheap, and they're constructed even cheaper.

HP is big on trying to upsell you on their proprietary crap, like "drive bays" that only accept drives sold by them without some heavy modification. Their quality is usually pretty crap ever since the Carly Fiorina days, drivers are worse, but I understand their documentation is excellent. Don't have any real direct experience with their repair infrastructure, but HP is not a company known for moving quickly... On anything. Apparently in recent years they've improved from moving on geological time frames to a speedy glacial. You want a laser printer or graphing calculator, HP's your company. Pretty much anything else....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?