MacBooks forum

General discussion

macbook os x: cd not recognized won't eject

by adinasmile / May 14, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

I have a macbook.

I have an audio cd in the drive but it will not eject.
I've tried rebooting and hitting 'eject' button after the chime
I've tried rebooting and hitting 'F12' after the reboot chime.
I've turned my computer off overnight and tried the above steps again.

iTunes does not recognize a disk is in the drive.
Finder does not recognize a disk is in the drive.

Any advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: macbook os x: cd not recognized won't eject
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: macbook os x: cd not recognized won't eject
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple
by Jimmy Greystone / May 14, 2010 5:59 AM PDT

A couple. Start by holding down the spacebar when you boot. If that doesn't work, move on to the mouse button. If those don't cut it, you need to open up the system profiler program, and under disc burning, does it recognize that the drive is there?

And it has to be asked, but you're aware you need to HOLD the eject button, and merely pressing it will NOT be enough, correct? Sorry, but sometimes people don't know the basics of the basics. I once had a person unplug a computer I had set up for them, and then complain to me when it wouldn't work... Because they unplugged it. There's a reason all troubleshooting starts off with questions like "Is it plugged in?"

If the above doesn't work, or no drive is listed, you'll need to take it somewhere to get the drive replaced because it's dead. They should also be able to remove the drive from the system, then open it to get the disc out. I recently had to do that for an iMac. The good news is, your disc is almost certain to come out of this unscathed. The bad news, is that if your AppleCare plan has lapsed, this won't likely be cheap.

Collapse -
cd won
by adinasmile / May 14, 2010 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: A couple

Jimmy,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I am holding (and not simply pressing) the button.

I've tried doing both things twice. No change. Disk is still inside. I can hear the disk whirring inside during the rebooting process. I can hear a noise of it trying to eject the disk as well.

System Profiler recognizes the drive.

Oh, and of course Apple care has lasped.

Collapse -
In that case
by Jimmy Greystone / May 14, 2010 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: cd won

In that case, I'd call around to any Apple repair shops in your area, just to find out what kind of repair cost you'd be looking at. Then you'll have to decide if it's worth spending that money on getting it fixed.

Collapse -
Scenario experienced:
by RenKki / August 7, 2013 2:21 AM PDT

I already experienced where the cd can't eject.. Just now actually,. xD

but..I tried to restart my device, then wait for the cd to come up on the desktop..
then I clicked the right click, then eject it..

and it WORKS!!! Grin

It is just the matter of patience.. Happy

Collapse -
i too had the same problem
by EleniOfSmantza / August 2, 2014 9:10 PM PDT

hi there..
i too had this issue and the first time it happened i had no idea how to fix it, even looking online; I was unable to rectify the problem.

then one day i was wiping down my Lap Top and once i opened it back up again; there was my Disk visible on the desktop, so all i had to do was press eject and Problem solved......
until about a week later when it happened Once again. This time when i searched online I was able to find a FIX which actually worked.
this is what I did...

I pressed down the EJECT button and kept it pushed whist Restarting my MBP..
i Kept my finger still firmly pressed on the eject button whislt Re Pressing the On off button to restart my Lap Top..
immediately upon it rebooting the DVD enacted all on its own..

hope this helps> If not you then at least the next person and so on.

Collapse -
I'm pretty sure that the Original poster has not been
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 3, 2014 4:44 AM PDT

sitting around with a CD in the drive for the last 4 years.

Holding down the mouse button immediately after power on, and keeping it down will eject the disc.

Locking this thread now

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.