Laptops forum

General discussion

Macbook or Macbook pro

I wanted to know what is a better choice now keep in mind that I have never purchased a mac before and I need this computer to be able to run my adobe software. do I need to spend the money on the macbook pro for the graphics, and which one do you think is better too, from personal experience.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook or Macbook pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook or Macbook pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given...

In reply to: Macbook or Macbook pro

Even the bottom of the line model runs Adobe software better than last years models why is that an issue?

There isn't enough detail to help me offer reasons for one over the other.

Bob

Collapse -
Answers

In reply to: Given...

I'm sorry if I was a bit short in my question I also need to run multiple applications at once so I'm wondering if the screen is large enough and bright enough. I would like to have a reasonable time on battery power and I'm wondering if its worth the extra $1000 speed wise like is it much faster and much better in the graphics category for what I need.

Collapse -
For example the non-GMA video displays are

In reply to: Answers

All about the same "speed." So there's nothing to really set one apart from the other. The screen size is great in the big model but that's something you can look at and decide.

Why a laptop? The other models have bigger screens as well as Core 2 CPUs.

Even with your added comments nothing I can add to tell you you absolutely need one model over the other.

Bob

Collapse -
Okay...

In reply to: For example the non-GMA video displays are

Well, first off all I want a laptop because I'm so tired of being stuck on my desktop now, and I want a mac because of the features, basically what I need in a computer is
1 gig of ram
duel core processor 2ghz and up
bright display
a dedicated graphics would be nice

What I want to know is should I pay the extra $1000 will it help me in the future, are the extra feature worth all the money, does the dedicated graphics card make a huge difference is the screen better( brighter)does either one of them get better battery life in real life situations.
Does the screen size make a difference.

Collapse -
Go for the Macbook Pro

In reply to: Okay...

Hi

The Macbook Pro matte screen is way better than the Macbook's in terms of brightness, grainyness, and size.

The Macbook Pro has an aluminum enclosure, so it feels more solid and sturdy than the Macbook.

If you factor in the Macbook Pro's standard DVD burner and faster processor speed (things which you could upgrade on the Macbook), the price gap narrows to less than $1,000.

In short, get a Macbook if you just want to play around with a Mac and have a plastic laptop that you're not too worried about putting inside your backpack and lugging it everywhere you go. Get a Macbook Pro if you like working with a nice machine and have $2,500 to spend.

In terms of bang-for-the-buck utility, of course the Macbook wins, since you can use the price difference to buy a huge display for it, an iPod, or whatever else you want.

I use a Macbook Pro at work (lucky me!) and I've also used a Macbook... If I were to buy a laptop for taking notes (I'm a college student), I would get the white Macbook because it's cheaper, slightly lighter, and less worrisome than the Macbook Pro. I would then buy a huge display from Dell for when I am using the computer at home.

If you are serious about speed, buy an iMac! It is far more economical and comfortable for everyday use.

Good luck!

Collapse -
New laptop for me in '07

In reply to: Okay...

I have a nice one today but it's a single core, 512M RAM, only 64MB dedicated video RAM and only 802.11b on the wifi. I could upgrade this or that but I'll save the bucks for something next year. This machine serves me quite well without much hiccups. (The SD memory card reader doesn't support past 1GB cards?)

My list as of today is very similar to yours with the 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1G RAM and dedicated 3D chip/ram.

Since what I have today works, I'll stand.

Bob

Collapse -
Good thinking...

In reply to: New laptop for me in '07

Yeah thats a really good idea im waiting for the core 2's to come out before I buy a new mac right now I only have a desktop I don't really like being stuck at it all the while im using it, so time for notebook I guess.

Collapse -
Now here's an idea.

In reply to: Good thinking...

Let's compare your desktop against that possible laptop? For instance my dad just got a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4094 which dual core and more. His Athlon 64 based desktop while very nice is left in the dust when compared to his new laptop.

He didn't expect that.

Bob

Collapse -
Good thinking...

In reply to: Now here's an idea.

Ok my desktop has a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz w/ht 512mb ram
128mb nvidia geforce 128 mb (its old)

Collapse -
The Macbook with out the GMA video will...

In reply to: Good thinking...

Outrun that desktop.

We see the rumor mill is showing the imminent Core 2 models. Wait if you can just a few more weeks.

Bob

Collapse -
Im waiting...

In reply to: The Macbook with out the GMA video will...

I guess I pretty much decided to get the macbook pro because of the larger screen better graphics card and more power. It will last longer

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.