HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

MacBook help, please?

by udayan71 / August 3, 2006 7:23 PM PDT

I sent in my MacBook on Tuesday to get new panels after discolouration. On Thursday I received a call saying it was ready and so I picked it up, it looks great now although the main button is soft, not the hard click it used to be. The plastic is definitely harder and a darker grey. Replaced trackpad too, btw.

Upon bringing it home, it started up but the iSight was on permanently, which is strange. I opened Photo Booth and the image was just a green screen, even after a photo & effects. Following that I restarted the machine and it stared back at me with a blank grey screen.

Help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook help, please?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook help, please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
go back to the apple store...
by SantiagoCrespo / August 3, 2006 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: MacBook help, please?

with your computer in one hand and a two-by-four in the other, they'll fix it right away Silly

Collapse -
Re:
by udayan71 / August 3, 2006 11:33 PM PDT

I don't want to take it back to the Brent Cross store, I would rather go to Regent Street since they haven't messed it up + I need to buy a suit for school (12th Grade/Year/Standard - I can get something nice on Oxford Street.

Do you think I should take it back to Brent Cross? (where they worked on it/screwed it up before). AppleCare said I should take it back to Brent Cross and strangely wouldn't offer to sent me a box.

Collapse -
Take it back to where they screwed up
by SantiagoCrespo / August 3, 2006 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

and make them suffer for it, gripe to a manager too, so they actually do pay attention this time, explore everything that's wrong with the computer, make a list and print it out.
Don't be rude, but be very convincing.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks for your advice SC. ill write back when i return
by udayan71 / August 3, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
The saga continues..
by udayan71 / August 6, 2006 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: MacBook help, please?

Today I went to Apple Brent Cross and an extremely helpful and considerate Keith worked with the MacBook.

He came back with the news that it had to be replaced and I should come back with all the cables etc?

So I did, and all looked rosy. Unfortunately the complication that arose was insurmountable; the Mac was bought at the Apple Online Store, which is separate from Retail.

So, Keith apologised (such a nice guy, extremely polite & sorry about it all) and gave me a Case ID & a number to call to get it all sorted out with AppleCare.

Hopefully this is the final chapter, tomorrow marks 1 week sans MacBook *ouch*.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) that sucks
by awinn233 / August 6, 2006 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: The saga continues..
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I told you to carry a 2x4, you just didn't listen :p
by SantiagoCrespo / August 6, 2006 5:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
question...
by big10ken / August 6, 2006 12:28 PM PDT

hi.. I also bought the Macbook on the first day and have been using it every day.. but I don't have any discolouration..

so.. now I'm really worried... along the way, mine will be all yellow and etc.. and it will be too late to get the panels replaced...

Do you know how long this replacement service is suppoed to last?

thanks in advance.

Collapse -
they probably won't
by awinn233 / August 6, 2006 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: question...

If you've been using it for that long and it hasn't gotten dirty, then it probably won't turn orange. I would imagine that they will continue to fix this problem even if your computer goes out of warranty since it's a manufaturer's defect. If you're really worried you could buy one of these things http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=7601-MBWP

Collapse -
solution;
by udayan71 / August 6, 2006 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: question...

1. relax.
2. seriously, relax. it may stain, it may not. most likely it will at some point.
3. when it does, call AppleCare and tell them that it is discolouring. if necessary quote this; http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058
4. enjoy you MacBook & I hope your repair doesn't go as badly as mine did (new notebook arriving at some point this week).

Collapse -
that's awesome
by big10ken / August 6, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: solution;

that sticker thinge for your palm resting areas is awesome. I'm going to order it now...

oh no... it's all out of stock!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) GOT IT! THANKS ! :)
by big10ken / August 6, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: solution;
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.