Mac OS forum

General discussion

Macbook battery trouble

by markjones1970 / July 8, 2010 5:33 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Macbook from eBay and it all works fine and I knew when purchasing it that the computer would only work when it is plugged into the wall, the seller said he had put a new battery in it before selling but the problem was still there.

I realised soon after receiving the Macbook that there was no Battery Update bundle installed so did that straight away (Battery Update 1.2), I have tried to install Battery Update 1.4 but whenever I do so it tells me that the update will only work on OS X Tiger 10.4.11 or newer or OS X Leopard 10.5.8 or newer, and since I am running 10.6.4 I don't understand why this update won't install.

Anybody know of any other problems that could be causing the battery to just not want to charge at all?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook battery trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook battery trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you're running 10.6.4
by Jimmy Greystone / July 8, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

If you're running 10.6.4, then odds are all those battery updates have already been rolled into the OS.

But I'd have to say that it sounds like the seller was feeding you a line about installing a new battery. If they actually did install a new battery, then that would mean that there's probably something wrong with the logic board that will now bite you in the rear some day down the road.

Collapse -
did i hear logic board ??
by tapasdesai / July 9, 2010 4:45 PM PDT

cos they cost a pretty penny

if there's anything important the seller didnt mention about the macbook on the product description thingy on ebay, then mayb you can post a complain againt him and get your money back

Collapse -
I'd say that's unlikely
by Jimmy Greystone / July 9, 2010 10:44 PM PDT

I'd say that's unlikely, since clearly they stated the battery isn't recognized. I just put the rest together since I'm an ACMT and do this sort of thing for a living, so my mind goes there immediately. The average person coming to that conclusion is probably a bit of a stretch. It really does sound like the seller was quite a bit more forthcoming than a lot of ebay sellers. No need to punish them for that.

It's entirely possible the system will run for years and never present a problem. I once had an iMac G5 come across my desk. It had maybe 10-15 completely blown capacitors, but it had kept on working fine until only a few days before. Kind of impressive really.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.