Mac OS forum

General discussion

MacBook Air...

Does MacBook Air has a high durability and can have a dual boot OS? Like
Mac with Windows?

I just want to know cause i planning to purchase it. Please give me your opinion about the MacBook Air. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook Air...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook Air...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MacBook AIr

In reply to: MacBook Air...

Has not been around for long enough to determine its durability.

Yes, you can dual boot with it. It runs the full version of OS X, not a cut down version.

P

Collapse -
Is there something you plan to wear out this laptop?

I found some need laptops with metal skins or other treatments in order to last.

Collapse -
Mmm...good idea.

In reply to: Is there something you plan to wear out this laptop?

Maybe it should need to put cool accessories for fine durability...just as you said. That's can be plan after the purchase. Thanks for that brilliance idea.

Collapse -
Windows

will run on the MacBook Air in theory, but with the Air's average 2GB of RAM and its current choice of processor speeds, you could find that Windows may run somewhat slow on it. I'd guess that XP would be easier to run on the machine via Boot Camp than Vista, but I don't have an Air to experiment with. Then you have to factor in the availability of Windows XP, now that Microsoft has stopped selling it.

The current MacBook Air has a small, 80GB HD, and the SSD option has only 64GB. Would you really want to partition that already small space just to add on Windows? If you want to run a dual-boot configuration on the Air, and not a regular MacBook, wait for version 2. You'd probably get a bigger hard drive to work with. Course the rest of the MacBook family can carry drives with up to 250GB of storage, which is plenty for most people, and they are quite light as it is. You may want to take a look at the other Macs. It will work though, should you choose to run Windows on the Air. Just don't expect too much out of it performance-wise. Also, don't plan on making it a main computer. The Air is marketed as a lightweight portable for mobile professionals and road warriors; they usually have other computers to work on, meaning that they use the Air as a courier in a way. But if you like the Air, go for it. Just be sure to check out all of your options, especially when the regular MacBook is less expensive and more powerful than the Air.

-BMF

Collapse -
Thanks..

In reply to: Windows

Thank for that valuable information that you have. I just planning to switch on Windows to Mac,that why i asked about the dual boot system. But,Windows actually has use for me like Programming tools like Microsoft VB.net,C++ and etc. You said that is true,maybe I should try browse other type of different MacBook than MacBook Air. I just love the unique design of MacBook Air. Thanks...

Collapse -
I like the design myself

In reply to: Thanks..

I tried using an Air at an Apple Store and I really like the design. It's great, it really is. I just think it is more of an accessory than a computer; it would be a better idea to have an iMac or Mac Pro at home and use the Air to control them remotely. That's what I would use it for.

A MacBook Pro can run Vista quite well. For the same price, you get a 15-inch screen with a much faster processor and a larger hard drive.
But if you are considering a Mac, wait for the newer, Centrino 2 models. Rumor has it that the next generation of MacBooks may adopt a design similar to the Air's. They would have those curved/tapered edges on the sides. That would be nice. Anyway, it's your call. The Air is a great notebook by all means, but so are its counterparts.

-BMF

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.