Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac wont boot from ext. FW drive -and icon shows its int dri

by xsergeantd / August 14, 2010 8:27 AM PDT

I have a Intel Dual-Core Intel Xeon. I boot from FW drives all the time. A client came in with their OS on a WD My Book Studio LX. I plug in via FW 800, but holding the option key on boot does not display the clients FW/OS drive. I can go into startup disk, select their drive from there, but when the computer restarts I get to the grey Apple screen and it just stays there spinning and then the Mac restarts itself.
One strange addition; when I boot to my good OS, their drive shows up with an internal drive icon as opposed to the regular FW icon. they brought their new 8-core system off their bus and we are able to boot off that computer from the FW drive no problem.
Any thoughts as to why it may not be able to boot?
- one additional bit of info; on the same Dual-Core I was running another clients 8-core OS clone earlier the same day, but he had a raw drive so I pulled our OS drive and installed theirs. Obviously internal/external shouldn't matter, but I wanted to make clear that I had just run an 8-core OS on the same Dual-Core Intel.
My only thoughts might have something to do with our Dual-Core set to 32-bit EFI and the Western Digital FW drive was cloned from a 64-bit system? Just a guess and I'm off to see what my Dual-Core EFI is set at. I'm probably looking in the wrong direction, which is why I'm asking here

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac wont boot from ext. FW drive -and icon shows its int dri
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac wont boot from ext. FW drive -and icon shows its int dri
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My initial thought
by Jimmy Greystone / August 14, 2010 10:25 AM PDT

My initial thought is they used a non-GUID partition setup. I recently converted a NTFS external to HFS+ and went to install a copy of the OS on there as an emergency backup. Forgot to change the partition type from Master Boot Record, and it wouldn't let me install the OS until I fixed that. But if I had used something like SuperDuper! it might not care.

Collapse -
(NT) That was my first reaction too.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: My initial thought
Collapse -
Prolly GUID
by xsergeantd / August 15, 2010 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: My initial thought

I assume the drive was GUID since I was able to boot from the FW drive on both of their new 8-core machines (purchased in July), but I wasn't able to Apple+I and verify. I did run a program to confirm our Dual-core's EFI, Kernel Boot Mode and Kernel are configured at 32-bit as I figured in my original post. I did not get the opportunity to hold 6 and 4 during boot to force 64-bit mode on our system, so I guess I can never confirm where the issue was as the clients just completed their work and have left.

Thanks for the replies.

Collapse -
Then they
by Jimmy Greystone / August 15, 2010 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Prolly GUID

Then they probably made the partition using some program that screwed up in a sense. It's probably using some method for creating the device that it shouldn't be. Some undocumented API that's undocumented for a reason.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.