mac users help please.

by ddawg500 / August 4, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

my family has always been bout windows and windows pc's and laptops
but i want an apple because they are so much cooler
my dad is all up for it but he says that all the software for it cost too much
and its true some stuff can get pricey?
my question is wat software would i need to buy
i wanna get a macbook
and im a high school student, so i want to be able to use apples version of microsoft word, powerpoint,
what software would i need to get so i can do that stuff on a macbook?
or does it already come in the computer?
either way, wat comes already installed in the comp?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mac users help please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mac users help please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Apple does not have a version of those.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: mac users help please.

It's still from Microsoft. But to help curb the costs please look at Neo Office. It's nearly the same and free.

As to the machine costs, it's about double so you pay not only for cool but ease of use.

Bob

Collapse -
What software do you need?
by boya84 / August 4, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

Word processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Drawing: Sounds like Microsoft Office. You *could* buy it from Microsoft (which you would need to do if you got a Windows machine - so the cost is the same...), but just for grins, you *could* get NeoOffice which is OpenSource and free and compatible with Microsoft Office - I transfer files between my work Microsoft Office docs (my company issued me an HP laptop) and NeoOffice all the time... "Save As..." and pick the format you want.

Video editor, DVD menuing creation, MP3 storage/library: on the Windows side, the bundled attempted equivalents are Windows Movie Maker, WinDVD and any number of audio programs (not necessarily from Microsoft) - though Apple's iTunes is a free download. Then add graphics library, make your own music: I don't think there is a real equivalent on the Windows side from Microsoft - but when you put them all together on the Mac side, it is called "iLife" and it is bundled with the machine: iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand... and you can set up your own web server with iWeb.

With Windows, you *SHOULD* get some sort of system utility (like Norton Utilites) and antivirus is a requirement... Both are unnecessary for Macintosh (you can get them if you want, but they really are unnecessary - DiscWarrior or TechToolsPro and um... I guess ClamX which is free to download).

So... what part of "the software is more expensive for Macs" does this get to? From my calculations, it seems the software is more expensive for Windows machines... because they need more... I don't know which Mac you are looking at, so I went for the middle range... if you want to know about Apple Macintosh bundled software, you really should check with Apple... http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Scroll down... on the right side where is says "Software"... the bundled stuff is the same for all the machines. The Microsoft Office test drive included in the bundle is just a trial... same with iWork.

Collapse -
Disk utility and more
by jennywren1420 / September 5, 2007 9:26 AM PDT

For as long as I can remember, Macs have had their own disk utility included as part of the OS (operating system). Tiger, that is, OS 10.4, is no different. It can handle quite a few problems that you might encounter. I do advise getting Disk Warrior or another disk utility, because you might encounter problems that could be fixed but require something more versatile and powerful, but that's optional.

Do check out what kinds of reductions are available to you as a student. I think you may find that there are many items, including computers and software, with reduced prices for students, including MS Office for Mac (as mentioned by another poster). You don't need Office, of course, because there are worthy alternatives, but I know for certain that the Student version of Office is very much less expensive than the Standard one and just as good.

Good luck, whatever you decide. I am rooting for you to get a Mac, because they are much easier to deal with, in good times and bad (much easier to fix some things for yourself, for example), but that's up to you.

Best,

jenny

Collapse -
Pricing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 8:10 AM PDT

The myth about Mac software costing more is just that, a myth.

It usually surprises people when they find that the price of MS Office Standard for Windows is $341.99 and the price for MS Office Standard for the Mac is $329.99. Most people just "borrow" a copy from work/friends/friendly neighborhood pirate.

The Mac version does not have MS Access because MS do not make a version of Access for the Mac.

They do offer a Student & Teacher edition for the Mac at $124.98 which is the same version as the more expensive one. I could not find a T & S version for Windows at PCMall.

All the above prices came from PCMall and MacMall.

As as previously been mentioned, with the exception of Office, or its equivalent, you are set to go right out of the box.

P

Collapse -
Ilife/Appleworks
by lveriksson / October 20, 2007 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Pricing

Here's my trwo cents. Even though we have it at work, I would never spend the money for MSOffice Suite because 1. It's too expensive 2. My needs are so modest, I can easily get by with the apple alternatives 3. The alternatives can be saved in formats that work on other computers--macs and pcs.

Appleworks includes wordprocessing, spreadsheet, database, painting programs for $39.95. I just purchased IWork to try because I have heard good things about it. It comes with Keynote '08 ("cinema-quality presentations for everyone"), Pages '08 Wordprocessing with an incredible sense of style") and Numbers'08(powerful stunning spreadsheets made easy) according to the packaging. Cost $39.00. For the same price you can get ILife which is another apple suite of programs. I know nothing about it but I'm sure apple.com can tell you all about it. For the expensive programs I have to have such as Photoshop, I save by buying older versions on ebay. Images created in 5.0 work just fine with the current version of Adobe Creative Suite on the computers at work. Consider also the software that comes with and works so seamlessly with the mac OS with support and upgrades that have been free in the past and probably will be so for the near future.

Good luck

Collapse -
AppleWorks was replaced by iWork around the time when Apple
by tleMega / October 20, 2007 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Ilife/Appleworks

switched to Intel. iLife comes with all Macs, and unless you have an older one that isn't up-to-date, you have no need to buy it. It is really just an upgrade. The MS Office suite isn't cheap, but it's okay. OpenOffice is a good alternative though.
Just letting you know.
-BMF

Collapse -
ilife 08
by vamtor / November 7, 2007 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: Ilife/Appleworks
Collapse -
iLife '08 review is why I'll keep iMovie6
by Dan Filice / November 8, 2007 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: ilife 08

To quote from the review: "There's only one audio channel, for example, which makes it difficult to work with narration, soundtrack and supporting music. You can't overlap video scenes with soundtrack audio from others any more, either."

Having 3 audio tracks (two separate and one imbedded within the video track) and being able to overlap video scenes with sountracks/efx is a HUGE reason NOT to upgrade to iMovie8. As the review mentioned, iMovie8 seems geared to those who want to make videos directly for YouTube. I'd rather keep the full editing features of iMovie6 and used 3rd party software to export my video for YouTube instead of using a dumbed-down version of iMovie.

Collapse -
My understanding is that apple allows iMovie 08 owners....
by grimgraphix / November 8, 2007 7:44 AM PST

... a free download of iMovie 06 to use along side of iMovie 08.

Collapse -
Get student version of MS Office
by Dan Filice / October 21, 2007 2:10 AM PDT

When and if you purchase a Mac, the retailer often has an offer to buy MS Office at the time of purchase. Mrmacfixit is correct, that this is only about $125, and if you have trouble finding the offer log on to www.macmall.com (same as PCmall.com) and the always have the offer. Call them if you don't see it on their website. I visit their store often and they always have MS Office advertised for students at a discount price. Although I have Appleworks, there is nothing line MS Office when you need to have Excel and Word and Powerpoint document bounce between a Mac and a PC and have them work on both.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?