General discussion

Mac User asking: Is it important to do sypware & virus check

Hi! I've already posted one discussion about "where can I get an online scan for the mac" for viruses or spyware.

It turns out MacScan is just spyware which was the most concerning to me. I loved their user guide and it was really easy to you.

But what about viruses - do I really have to do the virus check as well...
one suggested was the free CLAMav (I think its called this) ... I was totally confused by the clamav free antiVIRUS software website and FAQ's and documentation and it seemed it would really mess up my mac so I'm not thrilled with their documentation for a non-technical person like me.

Could I get more comments on the ANTIVIRUS part of my question. What is best - what won't get me into contacting support immediately because it is too confusing. Again I use mac os10.5.8 (Leopard) but will be on Snow Leopard soon then Lion next year.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Mac User asking: Is it important to do sypware & virus check
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Mac User asking: Is it important to do sypware & virus check
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yes because Apple also recommend using antivirus
- Collapse -
iantivirus is not looking good

Hi . Thank you for the information.I looked into your links and I can see that Iantivirus is getting bad reviews through their forum and basically all interest seems to have STOPPED as of 2008 (updating etc).
I am not interested in any product that has had no activity since 2008. Even the release date is one year old.

So, I'll keep searching on the virus side! but thank you for the post. We do not open files that people send us and malware is covered by MACSCAN thank goodness, just not viruses. I'll have that Malware protection in Snow Leopard and hopefully it will not conflict with Mac Scan.

- Collapse -
Virus Scan for Mac

Trend Micro now offers a virus scan product for Mac - called Trend Smart Surfing. I have had my iMac for almost a year, installed the Smart Surfing program and it found a few Trojan Virus program saved in my Time Machine Backups - now gone !!!
Check out the TrendMicro at http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/smartsurfing-mac/

- Collapse -
Trend Micro Questino to BDARRAH

Hi Bdarrah -- On your post above - sounds really interesting, and I do use time machine. Do you know if I would have to uninstall my demo of MACSCAN to run the trend micro? Also, I thought TROJAN was spyware not a virus (is there a difference? I'm a little confused on that).

Thanks again!

CNET Forums

Forum Info