Mac Applications forum

Resolved Question

Mac Trojan?

by jennywren1420 / November 1, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

I just read that there is a Mac virus going around. The article mentioned that it had injected itself (is that right?) into Graphic Converter 7 but might be part of other applications as well. It didn't name any. In one of the articles I found subsequently, there was mention that there are several anitvirus programs for Macs, including a free one from Sophos. No other one was mentioned, but I am wondering whether it might not be a good idea to put one on my Macs.

I have both a G4 desktop Mac running Tiger (OS 10.4) and a laptop with Leopard (OS 10.5). I've noticed some slowness (said to be a sign of infection by the virus), but I have no Graphic Converter. I also put much of the slowness down to my ISP being overwhelmed. I have changed my email address and shall soon part company, altogether, with my old ISP.

Any advice or further information, anyone? Thanks.

jenny

jennywren1420 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac Trojan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac Trojan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jennywren1420

Collapse -
Rumors continue but we still need a virus
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac Trojan?

So far it remains true that we need a virus for the antivirus to protect against.

There is some malware and trojans but all the ones I know of are installed by the owners willingly. Not one installs on its own.

For example it is possible for folk to go to shady/blacklisted sites for free software like http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/sharewareplaza.com and INSTALL something bad.

Bad apps are not "virus". They are just bad.
Bob

Collapse -
Much obliged, Bob
by jennywren1420 / November 1, 2011 11:52 AM PDT

As I said in my thank-you to your esteemed colleague, I am grateful to you for the clarity and informativeness of your reply. I am glad to say that I am not in the habit of clicking on any link to or within a suspicious app. I just couldn't tell, from what I had read (which was short on the essential details but rather alarming - or, I should say, alarmist) whether one might not unwittingly download the Trojan from a perfectly respectable place.

Thanks to you again,

Jenny

Collapse -
Answer
further to Bob's comment
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac Trojan?

The new thing is a Trojan, not a virus, which was inserted into a bootleg copy of Graphic Converter.

As you don't have that, there is not much to be concerned about.

I also don't believe that you are in the habit of downloading bootleg software so your chances of getting this, or any, malware are quite small.

10.5 has a Trojan catcher installed which Apple updates on a regular basis.

P

Collapse -
Thanks to both of you!
by jennywren1420 / November 1, 2011 11:46 AM PDT
Indeed, you are correct. I am not "in the habit of downloading bootleg software." I was concerned only because what was mentioned was made out to be a perfectly legitimate copy of Graphic Converter, not one conveyed by a man in a dirty raincoat. The article sent to me (and another that I read) also mentioned "other" software, and the implication was that that was legit, too. Too bad that such articles are so imprecise that they give the impression that anyone, however careful (and suspicious) could be caught in the web of a Trojan. (I mispoke, calling it a virus. I know well that it is a Trojan, and that they are different menaces.)

Once again, you (and Bob) provide both good sense and clarity for us who are far less well-informed and experienced. I am grateful. I would be pulling my forelock, if I had one to pull, so respectful am I.

Jenny
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?