Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac Tower randomly wants to shut down

by Tiggger / January 12, 2010 3:48 AM PST

We have a Mac Pro Tower Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 Mhz. with Apple HD 30 inch Display. OS X 10.5.8 with no Raid card. 4 GB ram, 300 GB hard drive, with only 30 GB left to use. A random message comes up asking me: Are you sure you want to shut down your computer? Restart, Sleep, Cancel or Shutdown. I ran Disk Utility off the CD, repaired permissions. Rebooted computer and the message re-appeared after it loaded the OS X. I removed all startup process from 3rd party software. Turned off Bluetooth settings, as I have a wired keyboard and Mouse. What could be happening? No new hardware or software has been installed for 1 year. All OS X updates are current. I attempted to look in the console logs but some of the information is foreign to me. Can anybody help? Thank you,

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Sounds like a software issue
by rnauth1418 / January 13, 2010 10:58 PM PST

As long as the computer does not automatically shut down after prompting you, then it seems as though this is a software issue. what you can do to further test this issue is to simply let the computer sit idle (without going to sleep) until the issue arises. It may be a imporperly mapped keyboard command that is triggering this prompt. Just a thought.

The other option that I would highly suggest doing is to do a backup and clean reinstall of the OS. That will almost certainly wipe out all software issues...

Collapse -
Mac Tower randomly wants to shut down
by Tiggger / January 15, 2010 1:00 AM PST

I resolved this issue by unplugging the wired apple keyboard from the Mac Pro Tower and plugging it in directly to the back of the 30 inch Apple Cinema Display USB port. I also turned off all Bluetooth devices since there were none and Rebooted the Mac. This seems to have resolved the issue. I would not have thought to think about an external USB connection would be the problem.

Collapse -
interesting
by rnauth1418 / January 15, 2010 1:24 AM PST

I dont understand why that would have caused an issue...

Collapse -
Interesting
by Tiggger / January 18, 2010 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: interesting

Well as of today Monday 18th Jan. This user has said the error message she kept getting has gone away. I am not sure why a USB Apple keyboard would of resolved this issue. IT's still a mystery to me. Thanks for all the advise though...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!