Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

Question

Mac TCP/IP Networking OS 8.1

by BajaBrewer / March 20, 2013 4:11 AM PDT

I am trying to connect a mac os 8.1 with tcp/ip set to IP 3.222.21.231 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 to a GE ultrasound system set to 3.222.21.233:ffffff00.

I am guessing the ffffff00 is a subnet as I am able to connect my Vista laptop to the Centrecom hub/repeater and ping the GE using laptop set to 3.222.21.100 subnet 255.255.255.0

I am unable to ping the Mac plugged into the same hub from my laptop. Any ideas on where to go with this? Maybe a new subnet on the GE?

GE select key is busted so can't access GE tools to try connecting directly to Mac.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac TCP/IP Networking OS 8.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac TCP/IP Networking OS 8.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Link, comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 4:31 AM PDT
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=GE+select+key finds only your posts so if you are calling something out that is new, unique in some way, please take the time to explain what it is.

In this case "GE select key" is not a GE product I can look into.
Bob

PS. "Just to be sure...are you talking about Mac OS 8.1 from 1998 (15 years ago)?"

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I would not guess that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 4:17 AM PDT

Usually when you see an address then the colon the following number is the port number.
Reference at http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkprotocols/f/port-numbers.htm and many places.

You never revealed why you could not plug in your Apple. Or what you mean by busted. I'm guessing a lot here but GE is well known for great support on the product. My guess is you are trying to get around dealing or maybe paying GE?
Bob

Collapse -
Mac tcp/ip networking
by BajaBrewer / March 20, 2013 11:06 PM PDT

GE does not support this product anymore due to age. A friend who has a clinic dropped it off and asked me to repair Mac to GE connection.

Select key allows access to network config but it is broken. Instead I use hyper terminal to do bootChange and put the Mac and the GE on the same subnet and read all data related to boot and networking in GE system.

GE has obsoleted the install procedure so I am using one that is similar but missing some network settings. The : ffffff00 after the IP address appears to be a subnet mask because when I change it my laptop won't ping the ge backplane or proxy network. Looks like a mac network connectivity issue to me but I could be wrong.

Mac and GE plug into a 802.3 centrecom hub repeater and show link lights green. GE also connects to hub with aiu plug for either backplane ip or proxy network ip. I bring this to the forum because even the old GE service guys don't have an answer.

Don't find any Mac tools in OS 8 that do ping or connectivity tests so I am left with hyper terminal.

Collapse -
That helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac tcp/ip networking

From the sounds of things you have some broken hardware to repair. Once you fix the broken bits, I think this will go a lot easier.
Bob

Collapse -
Mac tcp/ip networking
by BajaBrewer / March 21, 2013 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: That helped.

I would think that I should be able to ping from the mac to a vista laptop with a known good crossover cable but this is not happening.

I tested the cable going from my laptop to another old xp and it pings fine so cable is good.

I do see a green link light with activity on the laptop when I connect the laptop to the mac using crossover cable but still no successful pings. I can now ping the internal mac nic by doing a ping 3.222.21.231 with Mac TCping so mac nic appears to be good.

I now see a port address below the IP address in the Mac. It is listed as Hardware address: 00 05 02 57 9A E9 TCP/IP is version 1.3

Does this add anything relevant?

Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac tcp/ip networking

I've seen IT staffers lose days over crossover cables. This is why we got rid of them. With most switched hubs today having AUTO MDIX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Dependent_Interface we never allow the IT staffer to lose days over something like this.

Once in a while you find some one that insists that a crossover is the solution and you let them stew.
Bob

Collapse -
Mac TCP/IP Networking
by BajaBrewer / March 21, 2013 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one idea.

I have tested 2 different hubs with the GE system and they both allow pinging from my Vista laptop to the GE backplane and proxy network.

The crossover cable is a last ditch effort to simplify my testing of why the Mac nic will not communicate with ANY device. A friend who does IT work suggests looking at the firewall. I found a firewall page but don't see anything turned on.

Does anyone know firewall locations in this beige mac G3? Could this be blocking my ping testing?

Collapse -
Back then in that OS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac TCP/IP Networking

The idea of a firewall was more an Windows problem. That is there was no reason to firewall the Apple OS. Still isn't.

All this sounds like the old apple needs repair or maybe a fresh install of the OS.

It appears you are upset with me over this failed old hardware. I've seen folk like that and they are rarely happy about how we usually can fix it with another box. Old Macs are found on ebay here for not much so why not swap in a good box?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!