Camcorders forum

General discussion

Mac + Sony Camcorder wont communicate

by funkyrimpler--2008 / October 14, 2009 6:21 AM PDT

Its an old chestnut this and ive trawled the internet fruitlessly for two days.
The camcorder is a Sony DCR-TRV16E going into either a G5 (running Tiger) or a G4 (running 10.3.9) Both Macs have version 6 of iMovie and neother recognise the cam.
Ive tried the following-connecting via FW (400), cleaning the ports with switch cleaner, exchanging FW cables. Removing battery etc for 30+ minutes from cam, resetting date on cam.
On the Mac(s) ive switch off filevault, checked FW connection in system profiler (nothing visible there), swithced imovie on and off, mac on and off, cam on and off, opened garageband and played a default instrument, relaunched imovie. Tried playing a recording direct via FW to see if its seen etc etc..NOTHING ive tried has worked..Any thoughts or suggestions? Is the cam too old, OS too old, incompaible with non intel chips?? Any help would be great. I know dozens of cams were recalled years ago but ive not found any specifics about this. Alternatively does anyone know of a DV cam that WILL work? Im more than haooy to take this one to the bottom of the garden and smash into millions of tiny pieces. ANY help would be massivley appreciated!! Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac + Sony Camcorder wont communicate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac + Sony Camcorder wont communicate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
additional info
by funkyrimpler--2008 / October 14, 2009 6:44 AM PDT

sorry i forgot to mention that the G5 is running 10.4.11 and version 5 of imovie! the G4 is running 10.3.9 and version 6..(i cant currently get the G5 online to download the free version at the moment).. Thanks n anticipation!

Collapse -
From what I can see, this *should* be working.
by boya84 / October 14, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

The DCR-TRV16E is a miniDV tape based, PAL video, standard definition, consumer camcorder that would connect to the Mac with a firewire cable connecting the DV port on the camcorder to the firewire port on the Mac.

Because it is standard def, this should not matter that the Mac is Intel or PPC based. But a couple of things...

1) The camcorder is in "Play/Edit" mode (and not record mode - this is selectable on the camcorder Power/mode switch).

2) You said: "checked FW connection in system profiler (nothing visible there)".
In the System Profiler, you should see under "Hardware", the entry for Firewire. I presume it says "Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec".

Then, under "Network: Locations", the Firewire has all sorts of information as a network entity even though you don't use it as such....

If this is all cool, then quit out of the Profiler.

2) Just to be sure, check the System Preferences. I'm on 10.5, so doing this from memory - there should be a selection in the drop-down that take you to a window that has all the possible network connections - Ethernet, Airport, Firewire... Is there a check mark in the Firewire box indicating it should be active?

3) In iMovie, have you selected PAL DV?

4) Has this worked before? The hardware and software you list should have this working just swimmingly.

There may be more, but lets work through the easy stuff first.

Collapse -
job done...
by funkyrimpler--2008 / October 18, 2009 7:36 AM PDT

Thanks for your response. incredibly i think its all been down to a FW cable...I purchsed a pair of new cables during this escapade, but the camcorder still wouldnt work. As such i borrowed my friends camera which works with his mac. He also supplied his own FW cable. I plugged his JVC camcorder into the Mac and hey presto. i then plugged the Sony in with the same cable and that also worked. So as to porve i wasnt losing my mind, i reattached the JVC with one, the other of my BRAND NEW cables..dead..his FW cable is much thicker and appears to be of better quality even though mine were 'premium' cables. Can anyone throw any light on this??

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2009 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: job done...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.