Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Mac Pro (8-Core) CRISIS!

by johnnold / January 15, 2009 12:07 AM PST

I am pulling my hair out and would love any advice or help I can get! This is kinda long, so please bear with me.

I recently bought an ipod touch (32G) and began the installation process on my Mac Pro (8 core ? 1st release). Upon hooking up the ipod, the OS (Tiger) told me that I needed to update to 10.4.11 (as well as itunes), since I was currently running 10.4.9. I proceeded to download the update, and the installation began once it had downloaded. Here is where the problems began. What I failed to notice was that I had less than 300 MB of space left on my hard drive. The installation got to a point where it couldn?t go any further when I realized what the problem was. I tried adding things to the trash to free up space, however, when I tried to dump the trash, it crashed Finder and restarted it, never allowing it to empty the trash. Hence, I was halfway through the installation, and my 8-Core was STUCK. After several hours of it doing NOTHING, I had to force quit the installation, and reboot the system. Needless to say, the Mac was pissed. I repeatedly go the kernal panic, without fail. (That made me PANIC too but I tried to remain calm as I had a lot of work on the main drive that was irreplaceable!) I ordered up a new SATA drive, and upon arrival, I hooked up my older Powerbook G4 to the Mac Pro via firewire and booted up the Mac Pro so that the Powerbook recognized all of the drives. Thankfully I still had all the data there, so I made a copy using Carbon Copy Clone to an external USB bare drive, in case something else happened. After the cloning was completed, I ejected the clone drive, and using disk utility, I erased the OS drive in the Mac Pro, got my Tiger install disc, and rebooted the Mac Pro to do a fresh install. But the Mac Pro just flashed the file with a question mark on the screen. The SuperDrive was spinning away, but it never engages the install process. So I put the Mac Pro back into firewire mode to see if the disc was there. This time I hooked it up to a G4 tower via firewire, and it recognized the original OS drive (now bare), the two additional drives in the Mac Pro, as well as the Tiger install disc. So I though, maybe I can try installing it from my G4 via firewire. NOPE! Not an option! So I ejected everything and tried to boot the Mac Pro to the install disc again, both by just starting it up and also by holding down the C key to try to engage the install disc, but NO LUCK. I am so frustrated and cannot figure out a solution! Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try? I have some pretty time sensitive work that needs to get done, and the deadlines are looming quick. I would hate to think I have 8-cores of JUNK! HELP!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac Pro (8-Core) CRISIS!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac Pro (8-Core) CRISIS!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In a nutshell, one liner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 12:11 AM PST

Since the machine can't boot the OS CD, doesn't it stand to reason the machine needs repair or a new superdrive?

Collapse -
perhaps, but........
by johnnold / January 15, 2009 12:41 AM PST

I would agree, but when I hook it up to an external Mac using the Mac PRo (the one with the problems) as a firewire drive, the Tiger CD install is recognized by the Mac that it is hooking up to, meaning that the Superdrive is recognizing it and working. No??

Collapse -
In one sentence.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: perhaps, but........

Hacks, workarounds often don't work.

Collapse -
Shot in the dark
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: In one sentence.

With the installation CD/DVD in the drive, boot the Mac Pro.
Immediately press, and hold down, the Command + Option + P + R and keep them down until you hear the THIRD chime.
Release the keys and immediately place your middle finger over your index finger, on both hands.

Did it make any difference?

Oh yes, the moral of your story is "always trust the Apple installer". It would not have installed the updated version of the OS onto the drive if there was not enough space, and would have informed you of that fact.

P

Collapse -
One more thing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Shot in the dark

with an 8 Core I would be seriously looking at 10.5.x and actually start utilizing those cores

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?