HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Mac printing to an HP printer on an XP network

by LarryD / August 22, 2004 10:02 PM PDT

I hooked up an iBook to my XP network. When I try to print, I end up getting many pages of...garbage. The printer is a HP Deskjet 842C.

Is this 'normal' or should the Mac print easily? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac printing to an HP printer on an XP network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac printing to an HP printer on an XP network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Mac printing to an HP printer on an XP network
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 12:39 AM PDT

Sorry, no easy road here. I've only done this with a Postscript or Apple printers on the network or failing that, a Linux box that takes the Apple postscipt and renders it to the printer.

This is an area of interoperability that is not well done. I'll take it that you installed a Mac printer driver for that printer?

Bob

Collapse -
"I'll take it that you installed a Mac printer driver"
by LarryD / August 23, 2004 4:30 AM PDT

...uh...not sure.

The Mac recognized the printer (and I assume had the driver already).
Would I need to install a driver into the printer? If so, how?

Not a big deal as the Mac and My Money are off to Union College with a free printer (after rebate) that came with the iBook.

Am interested if the Mac comes home for vacation, however.

Doubt the money will be visiting, though.

Collapse -
Re: "I'll take it that you installed a Mac printer driver"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 5:14 AM PDT

The only drivers I've seen the Apples I dealt with automagically deliver were for Apple products.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:"I'll take it that you installed a Mac printer driver"
by NZimck / September 16, 2004 9:14 PM PDT

I didnt know there was a Mac forum so I am new here. I have a home network with XP server box etherneted to 2 XP machines and an iMac 700mhz running 10.2 and a Mac HP5550 printer that #2 son wanted networked and set up in his study and I was not prepared to buy a print server. All my readings and enquiries told me you need a print server however my IT #1 son fiddled with code on the XP server and set up a 'ghostscript' or 'ghostprinter' (can't remember what it was called as it has been deleated) using a generic printer driver and it worked fine, a bit slow to initiate but worked fine until son #2 decided he needed the servers 80GB hard drive for his X Box that he's adding to the network and hasn't yet re-installed and formatted the X box 8GB HD as the servers drive.

This is from Apple Help on MAC running OS X 10.3
Sharing your printer with Windows users via SMB

You can let computers on your local network that use Windows use any printer connected to your computer. You can share both PostScript and non-PostScript printers with Windows users; however, Windows users must always send PostScript print jobs to your computer.

Open System Preferences and click Sharing.
Click Services.
Select the Windows Sharing checkbox.
To print to your printer, Windows users must configure an SMB network printer. Have them see their Windows documentation on adding a network printer.
Documents waiting to print on printers you're sharing are stored on your hard disk. (That is, your computer hosts the queue for the printer.)

Tip: To help others discover where to pick up their printed documents, open System Preferences, click Print & Fax, click Printing, and then click the Set Up Printers button. Select a printer, choose Printers > Show Info, and type a clear description of the printer's location in the Location field.
Hope this is of interest to Mac users especially as the industry stock answer is "Buy a print server" at $250 (when it is better to buy Panther 10.3 or an extra stand alone printer [or two])

Collapse -
by zyggy / September 16, 2004 9:33 PM PDT

Check the printer driver. I use HP810C cups+gimp-print 4.2.5 for my shared XP Deskjet 810 C printer. The printer is connected to a PC and the Mac is on a wireless network

Collapse -
by RenoDavid / September 17, 2004 2:37 AM PDT

I had the garbage problem at work (not sure what kind of network) printing to an HP printers in 10.3, until I downloaded and installed the printer driver from the HP website. Give it a try!

Collapse -
by kinnear3 / September 17, 2004 3:13 AM PDT

I have had success connecting the HP printer to my Mac and using the Windows machines to print over the network. I have not had success using the Mac to print to a machine connected to a Windows computer.

Of course, this will not work for you if your Mac is on a campus somewhere! I hope one of the suggestions, above, works out. Let us know.

Collapse -
by Eduardo_Calderon / September 24, 2004 3:50 AM PDT

Suggestions:

Does your printer has ither one of this 2 or both in the back of the printer?

USB or Ethernet connection?

Go to the HP web page: Support and Drivers
(You can copy and paste address, if it is blue, just open from here, and download to "Desktop" it is easy to find the application to later make the installation)

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Select "Download Drivers and Sofware" and then fill in the name of your printer "HP Deskjet 842C" and click arrows on your right (Go)

This window will show the choices, and one of them is "Mac OS X" click open and download the Driver that will be required for the Mac OS X n.n. that you may have.

Note - I think the USB connection its out of the question. It uses a special cable. Since it is on a network at the office(?), and I do not know how far or close are you from the server. If you are close to the server this one may work, then is just a matter of buying the cable for that distance, if available.

At home, if you have a laptop and a HP Printer next to it, it will work using the USB connection.

You can use ither the AppleTalk or IP/TCP to connect your printer to the network.

When Driver installation is done, it would be a good idea to "Restart the Machine"

USB

Open your Mac HD and go to "Applications", still on your applications folder go to the Bottom and look for the "Utilities" Folder, and open it. Look for "Printer Setup Utility", selected and "Drag to the "Dock", close HD. Now that it is on the "Dock" open it, the new window's name is "Printer List". Click the icon "Add". This will open a new window. Now you have 2 bars, top bar, IF YOUR PRINTER IS USB, click USB, and your printer should be listed, and now you are ready to print.

IF IT IS NOT A USB, then you need to do the following using the same connection that you have for the web.

Still using "Printer Setup Utility".

AppleTalk

This should work on the network. I have done it.

Select on the Printer List, AppleTalk, and the 2nd bar will be named "Local AppleTalk Zone", in ORDER to activate AppleTalk to need to go to "Preferences" , go to Network and click "Location", this will open a window with options, and one of them is "AppleTalk"; click the AppleTalk tab and "Check - Make AppleTak Active". The "Configure: s/b "Automatically" and click "Apply Now"

Restart the machine

Open the Printer Setup Utility, and your printer s/b listed, IF you want for this new printer to be the "Default" then select the "Make Default" icon.

Still using "Printer Setup Utility".

Since it is on a Network, you may need to do the following:

IP/TCP

Open "Printer Setup Utility" and select Add. New window, select "IP Printing. Printer Type: Socket /HP Jet Direct. Printer Address [(000.000.000.000) 192.168.1.1, someone may need to give you this address] Queue Name: (?) Printer Model (look for HP) at the bottom, a list of HP printers will show, hopfuly yours will be listed after instaling the Driver)

Have lots of fun and hope this helps.

Collapse -
question
by gjbrillo / January 24, 2005 10:01 PM PST

how did you get your ibook to hook up with xp network, thanks in advance.

Collapse -
XP Network
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 27, 2005 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: question

Strictly speaking it is just a Windows Network using TCP/IP with maybe a little NetBui.
In OS X.3, go to the GO menu, Network and there you will see the PC's on your network. As long as they have file sharing on.
In OS X.2, to to the Go menu and select "Connect to Server" and enter the address

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.