Mac OS forum

General discussion

MAC OSX 10.7.5 will not recognize camcorder

by greehug / December 3, 2013 9:34 AM PST

I have a canon xf 300 camcorder and my macbook pro with MAC OSX 10.7.5 will not recognize it, nor will FCP X 10.0.2. Is Pavtube MXF Video Converter for Mac the only answer I need or is it more complicated than just that.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MAC OSX 10.7.5 will not recognize camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MAC OSX 10.7.5 will not recognize camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That camera
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 8:57 PM PST

Found this in a Review of this camera.

Canon's flavour of MPEG-2 is editable natively by many professional NLEs, with the exception of Apple's Final Cut Studio, where it is handed by a provided Canon plug-in. This plug-in connects to Log and Transfer for transcoding (optional) and importing.

Unquote.

You do have this plug-in installed?

P

Collapse -
NO
by greehug / December 4, 2013 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: That camera

No, didn't know about it where would I get it or find it? thank you for responding. g

Collapse -
The indication is that it is supplied, with the camera,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 4, 2013 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: NO

by Canon.

Get onto them via their customer support line

P

Collapse -
found it but.....
by greehug / December 10, 2013 8:32 AM PST

I have FCP X 10.0.2. not
Mac OS X 10.5.x, Mac OS X 10.6.x
with which it's compatible

I did find it supplied with the camera but also the above....

thanx, gree

Collapse -
???. Those number are not for the same thing.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 10, 2013 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: found it but.....

FCP X 10.0.2 is NOT the same thing as 10.5.x or 10.6.x

You have OS X version 10.7.5 and FCP X 10.0.2 which I assume work well together.

Now you need to get on to Canon for an updated version of their plug-in.

Can I ask if you tried the version of the plug-in that you have?

P

Collapse -
MAC OSX 10.7.5 will not recognize camcorder
by Techvedic / December 10, 2013 4:43 PM PST

I may have missed this in the thread, but what version of iMovie are you using?

iMovie '11 was recently updated (14 May 2013) to version 9.0.9 - one of the "What's New" items was "Addresses issues where iMovie does not recognize video cameras connected to your Mac".

Also, there have been numerous reports from time to time here about problems with Rocketfish FireWire cables. Here's a link to one such thread (where I've provided two other links):

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/message/22141780#22141780

Collapse -
Guess you missed an update
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 10, 2013 8:52 PM PST

iMovie is now at 10.0.1

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.