Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac OS X Vista refugees.

by Dejoblue / February 22, 2007 6:03 PM PST

I ahve read many threads lately with horrid Vista tales such as this one:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=77816390&sid=1

My brother had a similar thing happen to him. He bought a new PC and it came with a free copy of Vista once it was released, a new Compaq. When Vista was released, lo and behold, his key did not work. After spending a billion , around 2 hours, working with them, waiting around 20 minutes to get ahold of anyone, he was finally told to send a recept to them and then thye would mail him a new key. He decided not to bother as he is the typical user that just wants his computer to work.

So, after some thought I have come to the conclusion that most people are going to act the same. Only the computer savy are going to go for Vista, and it will be on a seperate drive in a dual boot configuration, for the time being. This may equate to years before anything that remotely appears to be a transition to Vista occurs.

So my question and the topic I would for this thread to center around is; How many people are going to be in the middle, and realize that Vista simply is not ready and since they will have to make a switch to a new OS anyway, to have continued "support" by way of security updates and bug fixes, decide to just take the Mac plunge?

There are 2 ways. One is to buy the OS X and install on a x86 machine. While their machine is not supported the OS will be. The other is to buy a Mac. Macs pricing is comparable to Wintel machines with similar features and small differences such as being fully integrated into one piece and the huge software suite that comes with a Mac more than make up for any shortcummings otherwise, in my opinion anyway.

I think the majority will be like my brother and use XP till the cows come home. But, what about the rest? There will be some tech dudes that use Vista and probably have already hacked Mac onto their rig. I think there will be a lot of Vista refugees that buy a Mac, realizing that they can install Vista and XP on their Mac hard-drive and that the only support available will be From Mac OS X on Mac hardware, or Vista with subpar support on any number of 3rd party hardware manufacturers that allows both parties to pass the buck.

So what do you think?

Disclosure: I use a Mac Dual 2G G5.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac OS X Vista refugees.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac OS X Vista refugees.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a good survey
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 22, 2007 8:50 PM PST

for a couple of reasons.
1. This is a Mac forum so you are unlikely to get a fair cross section of XP users to judge the relative merits of VIsta.
2. Installing OS X on an x86 machine is illegal. It violates the EULA that you agreed to when you opened the packet. Neither the machine nor the OS would be supported in any way.

I think you would be better of posting this in the XP or Vista forums, that should be fun, instead of in a forum that is populated by people who have already made the switch. (Give or take the odd one or two who drop in now and again)

JMO

P

Collapse -
My XP tower....
by grimgraphix / February 23, 2007 4:54 AM PST

... will remain an XP machine till I am forced to buy a new MS based platform.

My mac iBook will continue to benefit from all the improvements apple will provide until it is no longer a candidate for updates due to hardware issues. Then I will get a new mac. It is interesting to think that this will probably happen before I need a new win/amd machine (I was a bit peeved that mac went with Intel but I will force myself to get over it).

grim

Collapse -
I suspect that the vast majority of Windows users will do
by Kiddpeat / February 24, 2007 12:29 AM PST

what they have always done. They will continue to use their machines with the software that they have. They will not buy a new version of Windows. In 25 years of using DOS/Windows machines, I have purchased Windows just twice. Windows 3.1 which worked extremely well for its day, and the Windows 98SE upgrade when I needed to add USB support to the machine. Both cases involved a modest purchase price, and both produced MAJOR increased value to the machine.

Like XP before it, Vista usage will be based on buying a new machine. It will not be installed to any significant degree on existing machines. I suspect most Windows users are like me. They are focused on using the machine to perform useful work. They don't much care about the 'benefits' of a new OS experience. It strikes me, and I suspect many others, as a bit odd to be so focused on the operating system which, historically, is a mere supporting player in how the machine is used. Most of the attention goes to applications, such as Sony Vegas, that actually produce useful things.

Collapse -
Concise and informative, thank you!
by grimgraphix / February 24, 2007 8:00 AM PST

I have just recently been exposed to Vegas for film editing. I really appreciate its versatility in accepting a wide variety of video formats rather than forcing me to reformat selected clips into files the program will understand. Happy

grim

Collapse -
Check into its audio capabilities. Those are substantial as
by Kiddpeat / February 24, 2007 9:11 AM PST

well. The problem with Vegas is that most of its capabilities are not terribly obvious. We used Vegas for our advanced audio class.

Collapse -
(NT) Nice tip!
by grimgraphix / February 24, 2007 12:38 PM PST
Collapse -
what the heck....
by anton.vanwamelen / March 2, 2007 3:32 PM PST

swap the darn thing in for a Mac, it ain't worth the trouble to delve into the Myriad of Windows Spaghetti Programming (MOWSP).
I used OS9 on a Tandy Color Computer in the old days, but due uncompatiblilty with the rest of the World, I switched over to Windows. Nowadays we use a clone and did a shot with Vista, but due to unavailibity of drivers (then) we decided to get rid of it. We have a programmer in our mids whose job it is to mend Windows misery all the time, you dig? So stay with your old WINXP or what you are normally using and put the Hasta la VISTA Baby ON HOLD. This is the best advise we can give you, most of the people 73% take this road(see poll by CNET). Remember, have fun , instead of worrying all the time.

Collapse -
Interesting
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: what the heck....

How far back are the "old days" when you were using OS 9 on a Tandy Color Computer?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.