General discussion

MAC OS X Mail - Change server to gmail

I'm very new to this and probably will not use the correct terms.
When I try to send email from "Grab", (and a couple of other places) the MAC wants to send using my .mac email account. Problem is, I already have earthlink and use gmail and so didn't want to pay for a .mac email account.
It doesn't seem to want me to use the gmail account.
I set up a new IMAP account using the gmail information, but when I try to send email, it tells me that my password is no good for the .mac email.
Anyone have any suggestions? I bought a book, but it just tells me how to change the settings like how often to check for email etc.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lois Croft

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: MAC OS X Mail - Change server to gmail
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MAC OS X Mail - Change server to gmail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Email problem

Setting up your MAIL account for GMail is relatively easy.

Make sure that you are using the POP option for GMail and not the IMAP option. You can get all the settings from the GMail help pages.
Pop server is pop.gmail.com
SMTP is smtp.gmail.com
Under Advanced, use port 995 and SSL Authentication is Password
Passwords as necessary

While still in MAIL preferences, go to the General Tab and make sure that default email reader is MAIL.
Check also that there is NO .Mac mail account there. If there is, delete it.

Using this method you will receive your email in the MAIL program and send it in the same way. No need to go to the GMAIL web site to send and receive. This is what is confusing the MAIL program.

Hope this helps you out

P

- Collapse -
One more thing

You have a Macintosh aka Mac.

Your computer is not referred to as a MAC, note the capitalization, which refers to Media Access Control. This is an address, nearly unique, that is applied to each of the network devices on your Mac.
The Ethernet card, Airport Card, Bluetooth, etc., all have a MAC address.

Just a small thing, nothing to do with your email problem, but nice to know.

P

- Collapse -
Thank you

Thank you very much, your information is most helpful!!

CNET Forums