Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac or PC Problems. Still the same issue!

by taboma. / April 6, 2005 3:00 PM PDT

Lately, what Mac user has checked all that the PC side has to offer for us to learn about in these Forums?
There is a wealth of info on the various PC Forums. The PC forums have the same issues concerning software and hardware. The only difference that I see is the platform and software or hardware that we use.
Big deal!
I am a PC and Mac user. Preference: Mac! Easier to use.
Try a Forum and check the PC side. One word of caution, do not go to the PC Forum concerning Viruses and Security Alerts. Will scare the heck out of you. You will be amazed! And, also be thankful that the Mac has not been attacked like Microsoft since 1998.
Some idiot will be attacking the Mac Platform sooner or later.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac or PC Problems. Still the same issue!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac or PC Problems. Still the same issue!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 2:21 AM PDT

Quote "The PC forums have the same issues concerning software and hardware. The only difference that I see is the platform and software or hardware that we use." Unquote.
And there, in a nutshell, is why there are these three Mac Forums. If I have a problem with anything Mac, then the Mac forum is where I would go. I didn't find a PC Forum equivalent for iMovie, Mail, iDVD, Entourage, GarageBand, iPhoto, OS X, Toast, iDisk, iSync, Flashing "?" at startup.
Just a thought

P

Collapse -
hmmm
by TheRogu3Pen / April 7, 2005 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting

Could be the result of a smaller userbase.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What could?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm
Collapse -
only three forums
by TheRogu3Pen / April 8, 2005 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting

And there, in a nutshell, is why there are these three Mac Forums.

Collapse -
How very strange
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2005 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: only three forums

Once again I looked and looked but was unable to find any mention in the thread of "only three forums".
Except, of course, in your subject line.

Mayhap you fabricate and are confused

Collapse -
Very Strange
by taboma. / April 8, 2005 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: How very strange

P, Only three forums and a smaller data base maybe the rougpen3's way of saying Mac Forum issues are small compared to the PC side. He has not answer my new post concerning Norton or yours either as of tonight.
He may be right-ON when you visit the PC Virus Forum.
I also mentioned be careful when you visit on the PC Virus issues. Very, very active discussions about brand new alerts daily, trojans, worms and everything else imaginable.
P, take a look at the numer of Moderators on that Forum. Bob Proffitt is also on it.
Lots of Moderators!
Scary! Isn't it?

Rougpen is a new poster since March of this year, and a PC & Mac user. Maybe trying to figure out your expertise and knowledge.

P, When I first posted this new Forum Issue, I was thinking about cross-platform Apps, similar to Office, Works, Illustrator, Photoshop and others with issues the same and how to solve them. Not Mac V/S PC.

I had a question posted on the Microsoft Office Forum. The post was answered by Dreamboat and answered with the correct way to solve my Word issue and problem of reading just the text file from Powerpoint and transferring it into Word.
Dreamboat answered me, knowing that I am a Mac user.
Dreamboat has a few books ?Dreamboat On Word? published since 2001. Very savvy expert on Word.

I also figured out, how to copy text from PC Powerpoint directly into a Mac Quark text file.
That was worth more to me than text to word.

P, that, in a nutshell, is the reason for my post.
Keep up your great forsite with the Mac Platform and knowledge for all of to know and learn from ?Mrmacfixit!?
TRUE!!! :?)))

Kevin

Collapse -
by TheRogu3Pen / April 11, 2005 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: How very strange

3rd line, 11th word in.

Quote "The PC forums have the same issues concerning software and hardware. The only difference that I see is the platform and software or hardware that we use." Unquote.
And there, in a nutshell, is why there are these three Mac Forums. If I have a problem with anything Mac, then the Mac forum is where I would go. I didn't find a PC Forum equivalent for iMovie, Mail, iDVD, Entourage, GarageBand, iPhoto, OS X, Toast, iDisk, iSync, Flashing "?" at startup.
Just a thought

Collapse -
That is not,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 11, 2005 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: .....

what your subject line said.
"3rd line, 11th word in." does not say ONLY three Mac forums.
Quote "Only three Mac Forums" unqote was the subject line you used and, apart from your subject line there was not a mention of there being "only" three Mac forums. The actual statment was that there were three Mac forums.
I was right, you are confused

Collapse -
BRAVO!!!!!
by TheRogu3Pen / April 7, 2005 4:13 AM PDT

A level head in the mac forums???.... oh wait he's a PC user too.... Nevermind :-p

Collapse -
Bravo?
by taboma. / April 7, 2005 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: BRAVO!!!!!

The Rouge3Pen,
A level head in the Mac Forums, Yes!
Mac, Absolutely! I only work in Mac at work, and professionally at my home base.

I used to use Microsoft Word all the time, because my wife was a PC user and we shared the PC for three years. Now my wife uses both platforms. My wife is pretty good with a Mac now at our home.

Had to go to the PC Forums asking how to delete just about everyhing from my PC last week. Received some excellent help. First question to these PC experts was, where to start deleating programs that I no longer use? Deleting Norton as an example?
Interesting? Why do I need it if I have no use for it, since my modem is hooked up to a Mac.

Rogu3Pen, you may also be interested to know, that I uninstalled Norton from my Mac six months ago. Why? Norton was a PC program from the start, not Mac.

PC/MAC? I still think we have the same issues.
Hardware and software is a different issue as mrmacfixit brought up as well as other programs and apps.

I learn a lot from the PC Forums and I am sure that the PC users learn a lot from the Mac forums also.
We both use Office Works, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and a whole host of cross-platform apps.

Any other thoughts?

Kevin

Collapse -
PC/Mac?
by marysmac / April 7, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Bravo?

After giving Bill Gates his freedom to innovate for a number of years...in fact, after being a part of the MSDN for a good while, Billy decided that the freedom to innovate was only for him. He came out against open source and my freedom to innovate and that is when we parted ways.

At that time, I installed Red Hat on my PC and then VMWare on top of that and then, finally Windows. I tried using all the great open source things on Linux and everything was hunky dorey for a good while.

When it came time to do a Flash Movie for a client, I had a heck of a time synchronizing the sound and motion. Too many layers. Besides, I was cold booting my PC six times a day and I was getting damn tired of it.

When I questioned myself...what can I do? I need to use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash...it all of a sudden hit me that I could use a Mac!! What a startling revelation!!

At that point, I got myself a little PowerBook...top of the line, all the frills. I had intended to use it in my bedroom to study and go back to windows for whatever when I needed to. HAH!!

Once getting to know my powerbook, I gave up the big a** PC forever. When the processor finally died, I took off any worthwhile components and had my son take the beast to the dumpster.

Now, I use MS Office and all the other web design tools I used to use plus all the nice Mac toys like GarageBand, iPhoto, etc. I would NEVER turn back...EVER. Cut off my fingers....but Do NOT touch my Macs OR try to take them from me....EVER or I will have to get real rough.

With a Mac I have it all!!!!!

Sign me a recovering windows user...2.5 years.

Collapse -
Switcher too--with questions
by Meredith Mc Minn / April 8, 2005 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: PC/Mac?

I was converted by my sister and brother-in-law to switch to a Mac a little over a year ago. I still feel like a newbie--so much I haven't figured out how to do; so many of the wonderful features I haven't had a chance to explore. But I'm grateful every time a new virus hits the PC-world; every time I screw something up and only need to force-quit one program; every time I want to do a complex project (like the one I'm working on now) and discover I can easily integrate several different tools. Frustrated, though, when I encounter a site that doesn't support my Mac programs or a device that can't be used on the Mac. For example, I recently bought a new cell phone that has a built-in camera. In order to upload pictures, I'd have to subscribe to a much more expensive level of service (I have a rate from 1998 that's unbeatable). There's a cable and software for transferring photos off my phone model to a PC, but not to a Mac!

I could use my old PC for the purpose of downloading them, but they take up a lot of room and I have the software I'd want to use them with on my Mac. Transferring them is the problem. I still haven't even managed to transfer my old documents and addresses and such. That leads to my primary question:

I've been transferring stuff via zip disc (two drives, one borrowed for the Mac-100 mb discs) but that's pretty tedious. For photos, it's worse than tedious. I have a USB SanDisk mini-drive I got for Christmas particularly for the purpose of making these transfers easy. I could transfer practically everything at once, then put the stuff I don't need right away but want to save onto CD (there's no burner on my old machine). My old machine (Gateway) does have a USB port (two, even, I think, though I didn't know it), but it is too old an operating system (Windows 98) for my new mini (flash?) drive to work without special drivers. But the only way it seems I can get this software is to download it from the internet and it looks as though it's supposed to automatically install the driver when you download it. As my Mac is the machine connected to the internet, can I just download the software to the Mac without installing it, copy it to a zip disc and install it on my Windows machine?

I'll have several questions to follow this one upif the answer is "yes," --eventually I want to get rid of my space-hogging PC--but this is enough for starters. Happy

Thanks.

M

Collapse -
sorry for the delayed response......
by TheRogu3Pen / April 11, 2005 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Bravo?

Been out of town for a few days and didn't get a chance to check the forums here until now.

I work primarily on Windows but am currently cross training my self in the hopes that Mac gains a larger foothold of the corporate environment. Competition always provides a better product and better support. I read thru these posts trying to gain knowledge on the subject s that interest me and it?s a pain in the butt when you have to sift thru all the negative comments just to find the answer to the post.
I just wanted to say it was nice to see non-biased info posted in here- I saw this attitude in many of your posts and appreciate it greatly. I see so many posts that bash MS with false or misleading information. I'm not defending MS just stating that both O/S's have issues and it's cool to see that someone else recognized that also.

In regards to you uninstalling Norton, what Norton program was it? A-V, Internet Security Suite.....??

If it was AV you should leave it on the Windows PC regardless of the method of connection to the net.

In regards to the hardware issues faced by Mac/Windows... since Windows will run on just about any combination of hardware it's only natural that there will be more questions regarding the troubleshooting of such things; whereas Macintosh handles the hardware AND software as a package deal it makes support much less of an issue when compared to Windows. But then again look at the sales footprint compared to Mac, keeping Mac proprietary has helped Mac quite a bit but I think it has hurt them more in the long run.

Collapse -
Response
by taboma. / April 13, 2005 5:23 PM PDT

TheRogu3Pen,
I deleated the Anti Virus from my PC, and yes you are probably right to leave it on the system. Windows, 95, is constantly looking for Norton at start-up. What gives with Windows looking for Symantic?
What did I miss to deleate? Or, on the other hand, load Norton back and keep Windows happy? Do not know?
Also have received a few alerts from Windows stating that I have performed an illegal operation, or something to that effect. I used to get this message years ago. Haven't seen it since deleating useless programs from my PC.
I only use the PC for game programs.
I do have Microsoft Office on my PC presently.
MS Office works OK. No problem there.
Also an alert that one or more components for Windows is missing. Starts With NS?something at start up. Norton? What the heck do I need Norton for and scheduler? I do not use my PC for an Internet connection. I also deleated Microsoft Internet Connection.
Bottom line, what the heck is Windows 95 looking for?

Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.